trip around europe

dispersion

Ok so I have been planning a trip and looking up laws (specifically traffic laws) for my trip but is there any useful tips/advice for the following countries;

France

Belgium

Germany

Luxemburg

Austria

Switzerland

Italy

These are not in any order but I will use this thread for photos, updates also.

Thanks in advanced.

Gaz

have a look here

http://www.pensionhausmaria.com/location.asp

Scroll down to.just below the Google map and there is a widget that should provide most of the information you need. Just click on the areas you are going to.

I'll look for the link to my Austrian High Lights map to give you some suggestions.

If you want anything specific drop me a PM.

Here you go

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 2oDNPXQ1BQ

Vignette required to ride on Austrian and Swiss motor ways. Austria costs €4,80 for 10 days. there are a couple of toll tunnels on some motorways. Switzerland requires a years one.

Certainly in Austria it is worth getting one just in case. the fine is €120,- if you get caught on the motorway without one.

French and Italian motorways are mostly tolls.

Any help feel free to ask :D

Cheers for replies, may ask some more questions and put up my packing list ready for a critique/check at some point.

thanks for the useful links :)

If you're passing this area of Germany this hotel is ace.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=52701

Have not finalised route yet but defo looks like a nice place to stay so will stop by if I am passing!

Quick question if anyone knows the answer:

My bike was originally a German bike and registered to the UK a few years later. Does that mean I then have to show the GB sign on the rear of the bike?

Also, headlights are still aligned for right hand side of the road so it does not need dimmers/tape across it so does this mean I am more likely to get pulled as it will be noticeable that I haven't changed anything even though I am in the right?

Cheers,

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

We are going across to Rotterdam, then down to Trier in Germany for the World Rally Championship on bike on Wednesday. Will prop ride to Luxemburg and belgium too? Will let u know anything we find that might be useful :)

You either need a GB sticker or and i think this is better on your license plate a blue box with GB and the Euro Logo.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pl ... dentifiers

And this app give some of the rules and regs

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safe ... dex_en.htm

Hope this helps

Cheers guys! Got the gb sticker sorted. Need to book a few nights and some road cover and then pre-motorway charges.

I am gonna guess you can buy the motorway toll/charges when you are there?

Cheers,

Gaz

Rather than a GB sticker I opted for a euro plate with it on

it saves trying to find somewhere to put the sticker :wink:

top tip pay at the pump with a credit card some places in germany require you to go in and pay first before they turn the pump on which can be a pain in the arse

vignette required for Austrian, Swiss and Slovenian motorways. Available at most petrol stations. If you don't use the motor ways you don't need one. Just don't get caught on a motorway without one. In Austria it is a 120 Euro fine. Other Tolls will be paid for at the time.

In France (and possibly elsewhere), if stopped by a traffic cop - Don't argue (even if you were in the right :shock: ), the fine will just increase! - keep arguing and you will be hoiked off to the local nick for processing (even bigger fine) and your bike will be impounded - Yet another fee to get it back.

:crybaby:

NB. If you use a StaNag - It must NOT be able to show speed camera locations!

:wink:

I read about this but also read that if your sat nav can turn them off, that is fine. (So long as they are not on when you get pulled over).

I can turn them off on my garmin so should be good!

Also will be using maps, havnt done loads of planning but that's half e fun....right....lol

Cheers for the advice guys!

NB. If you use a StaNag - It must NOT be able to show speed camera locations!

:wink:

I can turn them off on my garmin so should be good!

Garmin made an update available over 2 and a half years ago to delete all speed camera locations in France. if you bought your device more recently.. turning them off is pointless. it won't have any to turn off!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would check in.

Currently at nurburg and made it through France, Belgium and Luxembourg and tomorrow we are off to Black Forest! Will post pics when I am back! So far no dramas except my mate mark having no luggage to put his stuff in!!