long distance ride

Digzy

So im thinking of doing a long distance ride, i want to ride to Rome. i already have a path laid out and a time it'll take. i know ill need 2 hotels. one in calais and one in rome then one long ass ride home :P

its a total of 18 hours from rome to my house so on the way there it'll be split into 2 trips.

My point here is whats the best advice you guys have for long distance trips.

Im going to be taking my backpack ofc, and will have a tailbag by this point too.

So i know the basics.

Ducttape, plumbers tape, cable ties, mobile, wallet, mini toolkit. bottle of water, phone charger, clothes, ive got built in speakers and mic in my helmet so wind protection is kind of sorted.

im going to get a translator app so i can talk to people.

i need to get a kickstand puc

My textiles are competely waterproof, although i may be investing in some leathers soon and know if i do a waterproof is needed.

Little things like sun cream are the things im going to forget i know it...

But.. any advice?

Yeah as soon as i posted this i found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K ... d_i=468294

May have to invest.

As for time, im going to be seting off from my work on a friday. and making my way as far as i can until i want to call it a night and find the nearest hotel.

i will be taking monday off so i have until monday night to get back, so if i rode straight there i would hit rome by saturday 6pm. so it gives me 3-4 hours worth or so of "delays"

then i have the whole of sunday to relax.

wake up monday, light breakfast, and get on ym merry way. ill do the trip abck on one go, just the odd stop for a cuppa.

On a side note, if anyone wishes to join, please say something. id enjoy a parter in crime! i dont plan on going anytime soon, maybe end of june / mid july but havnt set anything in stone so if anyone wants to come let me know when. I'm still a fairly new-ish rider so im not bothered if you're in the same boat. i just want to go explore :)

Take two credit cards, notify both companies that you're travelling and keep them in separate locations. If you lose one or one stops working you have a backup!

European health insurance card is a good idea too.

European breakdown covers a good idea too.

buy these off Deso

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55045

as for the ear protection thing its not kinda sorted!! your speakers will offer very little in way of hearing protection!!

one thing that sticks out is the time! you dont want to be rushing to meet deadlines budget on around 250 - 300 miles a day max if you want to cover distance and enjoy it

dont forget your travel insurance and make sure it covers you as a biker as a lot only cover up to 125's anything larger and your not covered

get European breakdown cover

Don't rush it over a weekend, give yourself the whole week. Enjoy the ride, and the avoid the tolls.

You will be board stupid going the quickest route, and you will miss some great passes in the alps, not to mention some great twisty roads and amazing views.

As has already been said don't use a ruck sack it will drive you mad when it has some weight in it. If you cant get something designed for motorbikes get a dry bay and some bungees/ties and it will serve you well.

longest ride Ive done was 850 miles and that was from the Austrian/German border - Fussen to home. with only a brief rest on the Chunnel crossing. by the time i got to watford gap I was dangerously tired. it seems impossible to fall asleep on a motorcycle. but thats exactly how i felt. I wasnt all that far from home.. just over 50 miles. but i wouldn't have survived it. I stopped at watford gap and slept for a couple of hours on a leather sofa in the Cost coffee area.

From or to Rome. not a chance. the times from google maps are pretty meaningless. 18hours not possible. except, possibly if you're in a car.. with a huge tank range and can swap drivers and take food and drink with you.. and aren't shy about peeing in a bottle and pouring it out the window. so you don't need to stop even to pee.

you'll arrive at your destination at either end and collapse.. and probably not surface again for 12+hrs

I've done Venice back home in one hit in the car that was one hell of a drive, doing the same on a bike is a massive ask. Give yourself a bigger window just in case you run out of steam.

The most I've done in a day is 600 miles (twice) and although I could have done a bit more if I absolutely had to, I was ready to get out of the saddle both times. After a few hours it quickly turns into a monumental ball ache (or arse ache, to be more accurate) if you've got no choice other than sticking it out until your next hotel!

Arse ache !

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=50199

I got a thick (3/4 inch) gel insert fitted in mine and the seat recovered, all by a great bike seat upholsterer in York. It's very comfortable, but even so I find that after a full day on the bike I'm pretty much at the limit of what I can put up with.

What are those inflatable cushions like, and is it worth keeping one in the bag for when things start to get really uncomfortable?

Arse ache !

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=50199

I got a thick (3/4 inch) gel insert fitted in mine and the seat recovered, all by a great bike seat upholsterer in York. It's very comfortable, but even so I find that after a full day on the bike I'm pretty much at the limit of what I can put up with.

What are those inflatable cushions like, and is it worth keeping one in the bag for when things start to get really uncomfortable?

The one I use really works I was dubious before I got one but I'd say I can ride twice as long than without one before numb bum sets in :-)

On another forum.. the tight gits swear by these as a very cheap alternative. apparently it works best if only partially inflated.

http://putnams.co.uk/collections/all-pr ... at-cushion

That IS cheap ! tie it around your seat, pity it's blue peeps will think I've got piles or summat, thats worth a punt, good tip Shorty :-)

have done 4 day weekends totalling just under a thousand miles, and even that cripples me...230 miles a day is still about 30 too much ...but everyone differs I guess.

cut yourself a decent window..allow for plenty and frequent stops, and make sure you refuel each time ( food /coffe/sugar hit ).

spare gloves an absolute must... and don't believe the makers assertion that anything is totally waterproof...that's rarely true.

lastly, check the legal obligations, some places require you to carry all manner of stuff...hi vis, warning triangles, spare bulbs etc.

Good luck, especially with the time estimate. I guess you will be using motorways but haven't experienced the hold ups for road works that we can get in Europe.

In countries such as Austria and Germany it is illegal to filter between the traffic. Many do it, including me, but be aware. It is not uncommon for a jealous motorist to try and block your way but many will move over. It is not illegal to pass on the offside of queuing or stationary traffic. Also be aware that many European Countries have a requirement in the event of stationary or slow moving traffic for vehicles to form an emergency access lane. The outside lane moves to the offside and all other lanes move to the nearside including using the Hard Shoulder. Get caught taking advantage of this big space and you will get a substantial fine.

If you are determined to do it in one go then a few precautions will help.

Wear seamless underwear. The seam ridge can become unbearable after a few hours. A Lambswool Pad aids comfort and air circulation when spending a long time in the saddle.

Stop frequently for a few minutes to stretch your limbs. It is easier to keep discomfort at bay if you address it before you feel it.

Keep hydrated. Tea and coffee are diuretics and don't really do anything to keep you alert. Plenty of water is a must. Too many energy drinks do more harm than good.

If you feel tired, don't fight it. Stop as soon as you can. A Power-Nap works wonders.

Many continental service areas have shower facilities. A quick shower and change of base layers works wonders. If using the Calais to Dover Ferry, use P&O, pay the extra €10,- or so for The Club lounge and take advantage of relatively secure storage for your gear, a comfortable seat, complimentary drinks and on most ships, a shower.

I've driven solo in our mini bus from here to Southampton. Took me 17 hours via The Tunnel and I was knackered. I wouldn't choose to do it on a bike.

Good luck, especially with the time estimate. I guess you will be using motorways but haven't experienced the hold ups for road works that we can get in Europe.

In countries such as Austria and Germany it is illegal to filter between the traffic. Many do it, including me, but be aware. It is not uncommon for a jealous motorist to try and block your way but many will move over. It is not illegal to pass on the offside of queuing or stationary traffic. Also be aware that many European Countries have a requirement in the event of stationary or slow moving traffic for vehicles to form an emergency access lane. The outside lane moves to the offside and all other lanes move to the nearside including using the Hard Shoulder. Get caught taking advantage of this big space and you will get a substantial fine.

Wear seamless underwear. The seam ridge can become unbearable after a few hours. A Lambswool Pad aids comfort and air circulation when spending a long time in the saddle.

Stop frequently for a few minutes to stretch your limbs. It is easier to keep discomfort at bay if you address it before you feel it.

Keep hydrated. Tea and coffee are diuretics and don't really do anything to keep you alert. Plenty of water is a must. Too many energy drinks do more harm than good.

If you feel tired, don't fight it. Stop as soon as you can. A Power-Nap works wonders.

Many continental service areas have shower facilities. A quick shower and change of base layers works wonders. If using the Calais to Dover Ferry, use P&O, pay the extra €10,- or so for The Club lounge and take advantage of relatively secure storage for your gear, a comfortable seat, complimentary drinks and on most ships, a shower.

I've driven solo in our mini bus from here to Southampton. Took me 17 hours via The Tunnel and I was knackered. I wouldn't choose to do it on a bike.

This is why i want another bike to come with me, i didnt know any of this. lol, dont fancy going for a ride do you Ali? :lol:

You're going to be spending a lot of money just to ride past some of the finest places in Europe, you might as well be sat on the M6 as the views will pretty much be the same. My advice would be do it over a week so you can enjoy it or stay closer to home. I've sat on motorways around Europe for hours and it's pretty boring.

So im thinking of doing a long distance ride, i want to ride to Rome. i already have a path laid out and a time it'll take. i know ill need 2 hotels. one in calais and one in rome then one long ass ride home :P

its a total of 18 hours from rome to my house so on the way there it'll be split into 2 trips.

My point here is whats the best advice you guys have for long distance trips.

Im going to be taking my backpack ofc, and will have a tailbag by this point too.

So i know the basics.

Ducttape, plumbers tape, cable ties, mobile, wallet, mini toolkit. bottle of water, phone charger, clothes, ive got built in speakers and mic in my helmet so wind protection is kind of sorted.

im going to get a translator app so i can talk to people.

i need to get a kickstand puc

My textiles are competely waterproof, although i may be investing in some leathers soon and know if i do a waterproof is needed.

Little things like sun cream are the things im going to forget i know it...

But.. any advice?

I see this will be your first long trip. Plan for about 500 mile's a day. And that will be a long day. You'll not do it in one day.

John933

This is why i want another bike to come with me, i didnt know any of this. lol, dont fancy going for a ride do you Ali? :lol:

I wouldn't entertain it in one mate.

• 10 months later...