UK Challenge 100 2016 - Discussion Thread

Grumpy Old Git

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'my scores never went up' - Your score is there on the board as 70 (as per your score in your profile). :scratch:

I got a load of castles, well 2 and another pub

So, why is your score (in your profile) only 70?

7 Castles = 70

2 Castles & a pub = 30

Therefore score = 100!

NB. I've g@@gled the pubs from the list of tags and there are at least another 6 close by (1/2 days ride to get them) - the other 3 are not too far either.

Stop moaning and get out there!

:cheers:

So, why is your score (in your profile) only 70?

7 Castles = 70

2 Castles & a pub = 30

Therefore score = 100!

NB. I've g@@gled the pubs from the list of tags and there are at least another 6 close by (1/2 days ride to get them) - the other 3 are not too far either.

Stop moaning and get out there!

Only got 2 more pubs to get, but need to stop working now. Covered 35 hours this weekend :thumb:

• 1 month later...

I've finished for the year having completed (almost) my 'North Run Plan' - I 'binned' the Borders / Southern Scotland as I was knackered and cold!

Therefore I will not be getting first place this year - looks like Priest has got it sewn up (unless you know different!) - There are a few weeks left before 31st December!

Anyhoo, I've almost finished the list of tags for next year and will be posting the list on evening of 31st December (all being well). I thought about 'ten common road signs' instead of the Pubs.....

I've had (almost) unique ones before (i.e. Moth and Lantern; Missing Sock; The Royal Children; etc.) and people complained. I was going to have the 'Slainte Bar' (East end of the Crinnan Canal) as one but....

Within England - the Pubs I use are quite common and easy to find. You can get all 10 in any of the English groups so, for the majority, they are not too far away.

Maybe for 2018 I'll pick a 'unique' Pub within each of the tag groups so everyone can get at least one pub fairly close by. This will however, mean that to get all 10 pubs, you must have 'visited' all the tag groups - Not easy and apart from Priest, has never been done.

Bottom line, you can please some of the folk some of the time but, you cannot please everyone ever.

PS. Anyone from 'far, far away', is welcome to stop at my house if they wish to cover the S/E 'tags' - makes the journey 'darn sarf' a bit more manageable.

I thought the idea of the 10 pubs was that they where close and local so everyone could get them :?

anyway if you don't want to do pubs what about say buildings and bridges say like a village hall, a hospital, a bridge :?

I thought 'Buses' would be good - Say a Number 101; a 69 and a 6X.

or dogs: A Westie, an Alsation and a Cockerpoodle (doo).

No but seriously - next year, there will be 10 'common named' pubs. the only real issue is that if you live outside of England, then they are a tad more difficult to find (almost impossible in the North of Scotland). But, saying that, I think it is all part of the 'challenge' - Like trying to spot a small ruined castle, hidden behind trees, in a remote Cumbrian vale at sunset in November (I had just about given up when I spotted a house sign which had 'Pendragon View' on it and, once I had pulled over, there it was behind me! I had already rode passed it twice!).

Who picked stupid places like that :popcorn:

:lol:

I must have a couple of beers in order to select that one (and Skipsea castle come to think of it!).

Originally, I had selected the Lindisfarne Castle but, as you can only get there when the tide is out, I decided against it.

Still, that road was built for motorcycles - Just like riding on a rollercoaster. Exceptional scenery as well.

I like the idea of a pub that is unique to a certain region, so one in Scotland, one in Wales and spilt England into two or three. It need not be odd names, it could just be the Oban Inn and other village pubs.

I also think that priest should get a special tag for him to do, in Siberia.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh the one 1854th from the bottom and 752th from the left does a really good sunday dinner

Not as good as No 6,815 (almost dead centre) - You get a choice of 'pedigree' beef, Free(ish) range Turkey, Roast Mutton (old lamb) or tame boar!

8-)

• 3 weeks later...