First driving lesson.

Adam

I had my first driving lesson yesterday and done about 25 miles which he said is unheard of for a first lesson, I think my riding experience really helped me with the gears and general road experience. A car seems massive compared to a bike though and the view is so restricted, it's just reinforced my desire to get another bike as a toy and use the car as a work horse.

Same happened with me!

Rode for a year, started learning to drive and was the guys first pupil to drive home on the first lesson. They could just be saying that to boost our confidence but it's a nice thing to say anyway :lol:

I agree with that Phil!

I like the ability to see MUCH further ahead, nothing blocking my visibility, more manouvering room, and speed to get out of trouble (though it often gets me into it first)

I find a car lulls you into a false sense of security, today it was raining pretty hard but of course in a car it didn't really bother me however on my bike id be super cautious because of the higher risk but those risks are still there in a car but they don't seem so obvious.

The field of vision is definitely something I don't like all them blind spots and the fact you can't see where you are in terms of road positioning. I think the fact I've been on the road before and know how people act has helped me as I haven't been nervous at all I've just driven.

Did some reverse parking today, done it twice going right and once going left and got it spot on both times, I think driving a forklift helped me there!

Two distinct parts of learning to ride or drive. 1st is the operation and use of the equipment you're using, and that needs practising so that its use is almost subconcious, eg. if you have to keep thinking clutch - gear - clutch you'll never get smooth in a car or on a bike.

2nd is road craft, and while there are differences, if you've learnt to ride/drive you're halfway to learning to do the other. Probably more so as when starting it is very stressful being out among the traffic, which makes it harder to learn anyway.