How Volkswagen did it

Tiggie

Nuclear power is by far the cleanest and safest form of power, but since everyone is scared of it, no government would ever push it forward.

We could all be driving electric cars powered from the road (like bumper cars) if our powergrids were powered by nuclear.

We should put you in charge (geddit?) of energy production. Nuclear is what we should be investing in.

Take Sizewell for example: quietly chuffs out energy and hasn't melted. Plus it makes the sea nearby nice and warm. :-)

*Insert mad hat conspiracy theory here for continuity*

Or... Now bear with me on this one... We could burn excess body hair in power stations.

Every time you had a hair cut or have a shave, all those bits of hair could be bunged in the furnace. This has two major positive impacts: 1 - essentially free energy from waste material, 2 - beards (and other facial hair) would be almost obliterated overnight. Those who chose to keep them would be persecuted and ridiculed for failing to "do their bit"*.

*Religious purposes excluded.

I wonder if I could return my car to the dealer if it turns out it's pumping out far more pollutants than i was led to believe under SOGA.

It's a skoda octavia VRS, but has the same power plant as a VW golf - so i would imagine falls under this umberalla.

I was thinking the same

Although I have a petrol SEAT ibiza its a 1.2 turbo thats pretty nippy with high MPG and low tax

It cost me extra for that engine and one of the main reasons we got it is because of the low tax bracket too

my issue will be is if they start digging deeper and find that more cars are like this even petrol ones and that the tax bracket goes up! you can claim compensation for this and they have set aside a huge chunk of dosh for this already

At the moment I'm not worried as it only seems like certain diesels nor will I be worried if it does turn out to be the same with mine as I will just go the compensation route

let's just see how all this ends up!

They would struggle to change the details on the V5, and that's what your tax is based on.

So regardless of if your manufacturer cheated on the test, your car is unlikely to have its taxation group changed.

just looked this up and it only applies to cars registered after 2017 so your car will be fine but if you get a new one after 1st April 2017 then things change

more info here

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/ved-road- ... -0182-2060

Unsurprisingly the paper lacked that detail, I suspect to cause outrage as I was looking for definitive lettering in it that would suggest it would only apply to those vehicles.

Still ridiculous however. I felt it was a good move moving it to how it is as young people often buy little 1 litres in the tax free zone which helps them get on their feet.

Your seat Ibiza is one I want, love the pokey engine in that. Won't be harmed by this as it's Diesels that are the problem. Always have been too! They go further on a tank but remain much more harmful than a petrol of the same size. Petrol engines are just cleaner.

We should put you in charge (geddit?) of energy production. Nuclear is what we should be investing in.

Take Sizewell for example: quietly chuffs out energy and hasn't melted. Plus it makes the sea nearby nice and warm.

And on the small scale, bio gas burning generators with heat recovery for heating a building are far friendlier to the environment, cheaper than being connected to the national grid (mainly for hospitals and any other 24 hour power requirement building) and achieve 90% efficiency. You could knock C02 output in half with some clever investment but the country is run by accountants now who only look 4 years ahead and how it will benefit them.

theres a lot of people worries about this!

I'm not! so much so I have just gone and bought a 1.6 diesel Leon :lol: :lol:

I asked the sales guy if the engine is going to be affected by this!

his reply was "god knows" :lol:

theres a lot of people worries about this!

I'm not! so much so I have just gone and bought a 1.6 diesel Leon :lol: :lol:

I asked the sales guy if the engine is going to be affected by this!

his reply was "god knows" :lol:

Did you get a bargain?

I'm planning to buy another diesel for the Mrs to run about in. For the last three years shes been using my 3litre A6 as a daily runabout which is costing a small fortune in fuel, so planning to get her a little golf/polo/seat thats cheaper to run and easier to park (less expensive to repair scratches).

Has to be a diesel as once she has her little shopping car, on the occasions she takes the Audi, I don't want her accidently filling it up with petrol!!

I'm planning to buy another diesel for the Mrs to run about in. For the last three years shes been using my 3litre A6 as a daily runabout which is costing a small fortune in fuel, so planning to get her a little golf/polo/seat thats cheaper to run and easier to park (less expensive to repair scratches).

Has to be a diesel as once she has her little shopping car, on the occasions she takes the Audi, I don't want her accidently filling it up with petrol!!

Nah get the new 1.0 Ford Fiesta zetec, 125BHP with 65mpg. Remarkable little car and it's petrol.

Petrol>Diesel :lol:

that is exactly what I am waiting for, I have a Renault Megane Diesel that only costs me £28 a year at the moment :crybaby:

I personally don't think you should have to pay a penny more - those that bought supposedly "low emission" cars did so in good faith. If they are going to charge more VED, then every time you come to tax your car, Renault (or VW, or whoever) should pay the difference, if it is found that they have conned you.

Of course, in reality though, it's much easier for the government to pursue the innocent "little man".

its already been confirmed that the VED will not be affected on any vehicle

my new car is unaffected by this too!

a lot of people are worried about this! and I don't know why!

you don't even have to have the recall done! and if your car has been remapped then dont get it done

It's not a worry really, it's VW that is in trouble but it's really too big to topple.

Emission data is fudged all the time. Moos car is tax free because of its auto-engine stop feature. It uses a combined figure of what it does in the city and highway to gauge its emissions with the feature. And many times it has ended up doing medium-long length journeys where there was little or no stopping. So in reality, it is likely worse than my £20 a year VW UP which goes a bit further on the same amount of fuel.

Same for the i8 by BMW... Yes it can deliver 49g/km when in its most economical setting at 300mpg. But the moment the battery runs out you are running a 1.5 litre turbo charged petrol engine that gets about 35mpg tops. This on long journeys means its emissions are higher on average.

So emissions have been fibbed about for ages, VW could well argue if other companies were allowed to get away using the "best circumstance" figures of their cars, then where is the line drawn.

So emissions have been fibbed about for ages,

I said that in my first post :wink:

This sort of thing has been going on for years on bikes too

PAIR systems and secondary air systems basically put fresh air in to the exhaust at low revs to dilute the emissions

I think this is just the start of it all

Watch out for re-banding of tax groups on cars now!!

PAIR and secondary air systems where created to get around Swiss and Californian laws!

the emissions are no different its just they are diluted by fresh air!

its all a big con