EU... in or out

Six30

<t>In or Out</t>  

79 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out

• In
    • Out
    • Haven't got the foggiest!

I couldn't help noticing that a certain type of person voted for him in abundance... Or at least, were very vocal about their support during the leadership race.

You know the type; twentysomethings or early thirtysomethings with a good education (probably a bachelors degree) who think that any type of hard work other than their chosen field is below them, but also think that they shouldn't have to work to get the jobs in their field, people should just come to them begging. The ones who have been living off the state since graduating and spend most of their time being a social justice warrior on the internet and attending every single protest they can, no matter the cause. Dreadlocks and hemp jumpers aplenty.

I had a few university acquaintances who went this way, and I never quite got round to losing contact with them - they all flooded my Facebook newsfeed with pro-Corbyn crap during the leadership campaign, and honestly seem to believe that if he ever gets into power he'll create some magical world where they will be handed all the crap they think they're entitled to and never have to give anything back. I almost want him to get into downing street just so I can laugh wildly when they realise the reality of how it will go...

Ha ha! Spot on!

Among my 'friends' the two most vocal Corbyn supporters are equally daft, but for different reasons.

One spent her whole life being told (and believing) that she was a child prodigy destined for great things at Cambridge, who ended up getting a lower second at an upgraded poly. She worked briefly as a librarian at a local school, but left because it was 'too stressful' and hasn't done a days work since. She is rabid Labour supporter who idolised Tony Benn, is a militant vegetarian, and refers to her rabbits as her children. Her FB profile picture is of her with her arms around a tree, wearing an expression of idiotic bliss mixed with insufferable smugness.

The other is a feckless bloke who is such an abysmal judge of character that the county is littered with children from his numerous failed relationships. His current girlfriend looked like a particularly dubious choice to the rest of us, and sure enough within a few weeks she was packed off to Durham nick for 18 months on a kidnapping and extortion charge. Having served her time she was released and immediately deported, and rather than reflect on what a lucky escape he'd had he has jumped on a plane to be with her. Naive, gullible and credulous to the last - all essential characteristics for Corbyn supporters. :lol:

We have 73 MEP's and I couldn't tell you one of their names. Says it all really.

I cant let you get away with this... I laughed out loud. and to be honest this thread hasnt exactly been all that amusing. but this just does it.

Its nobodies fault but your own if you're not paying attention... or aren't engaged with the political process. Though looking at your part in this discussion you seem to be very much engaged.. so theres something of a disconnect. You're very much against... but yet you dont know even one MEP by name. You dont know Nigel Farage?

really?

I think its fascinating that you don't even know the name of your own MEP either - even though the MEP local to Leicester represents UKIP.

Its not like he's new to the job.. he's been doing it for 17years.

Roger Helmer. Noted rape apologist. A man who is even nastier than Farage.. and so not exactly a stranger to the News.

Slight misrepresentation there buddy. (I didn't write that!) and I know exactly who my local, national and European idiot's are

(I didn't write that!)

I have no idea how that happened. im usually quite good at editing quotes so theres no confusion. Its more than a little odd that I didn't notice.

and its been fixed. go and check. :thumb:

easy and painless. you could have popped a pvt message to me.. then my mistake wouldn't have been repeated as it now has been.

It really comes down to whether or not you want an elected and removable government idiot or an unelected and non removable Eurocrat idiot dipping his hand in your pocket and stealing all your hard earned cash.

I am out because I do not want a United States of Europe. Anyone staying in, has to realise that this is the end goal and be willing to accept it.

Not really. You didn't vote for David Cameron, did you? Unless you live in is constituency. You vote for your local MP. That is the nature of first past the post.

We elect our MEP's to Europe and they in turn represent our interests there.

I hope six30 doesn't mind but I have added a poll to the thread :lol:

No need for anyone to post if they want to stay in or out without fear of been chastised :mrgreen:

I hope six30 doesn't mind but I have added a poll to the thread :lol:

No need for anyone to post if they want to stay in or out without fear of been chastised :mrgreen:

:thumb: ...

. I'll be sending out some leaflets about the joys of Brexit ... Stole the money to cover costs from charity boxes .

Not really. You didn't vote for David Cameron, did you? Unless you live in is constituency. You vote for your local MP. That is the nature of first past the post.

I think it does (as if you didn't know :mrgreen: )

We can remove the conservatives. If the EU doesn't collapse in on itself and we go for further integration, more laws and legislation will be forced upon us by the EU which we will be obliged to follow regardless of who we elect in the UK.

So, clearly what is needed is a list of EU Regulations and Decisions (not Directives, Recommendations or Opinions, as these are not legally binding) that satisfy all three following criteria:

1. Have some tangible, quantifiable negative impact on us.

2. Were so unpopular with the UK government when adopted that they would be repealed if we left Europe.

3. Would not still apply when trading with Europe after our exit.

Who wants to get the ball rolling?

:popcorn:

So we get to vote for 73 out of 751 MEP's. So we have less than 10% of the votes in the EU. So explain how we get any meaningfull representation when the other 90% can just ride rough shod over us. It will be even less of a % if Turkey and any other countries get allowed in.

2 points.

1. How dare those foreigners divide the parliament up proportionately... Don't they know who we are?

2. Great.. So now I'm recovered from the terror of millions of Romanians and Bulgarians not showing up, I've now got 80 million Turks not joining the EU and not distorting the parliament to not worry about too.

I best have a relax on my sofa and listen to enya to help with the stress of having nothing to panic about.

2 points.

1. How dare those foreigners divide the parliament up proportionately... Don't they know who we are?

2. Great.. So now I'm recovered from the terror of millions of Romanians and Bulgarians not showing up, I've now got 80 million Turks not joining the EU and not distorting the parliament to not worry about too.

I best have a relax on my sofa and listen to enya to help with the stress of having nothing to panic about.

You've got a sofa in your tree house , I'm impressed, Sherwood Forest is getting very hip :D

2 points.

The people you call daring foreigners are in reality other countries imposing laws and legislation that directly effect the UK. If you don't believe in self governance or sovereignty (which has somehow become synonymous with xenophobia) that is a perfectly reasonable position to have; it's not however superior, morally or logically to the opponents, it's just a different view. The use of cheap shaming language is what is destroying the far left, feminism and religion. It all boils down to, do what I want or I will shame you, you are racist, you are a misogynist, you have sinned, you are this, you are that...

I am a libertarian so I guess I don't really have a dog in the fight but I think the smaller and more accountable we can keep the government, the better.

So we get to vote for 73 out of 751 MEP's. So we have less than 10% of the votes in the EU. So explain how we get any meaningfull representation when the other 90% can just ride rough shod over us. It will be even less of a % if Turkey and any other countries get allowed in.

As apposed to 1 out of 650 at the General Election?

To me that highlights just how crap FPTP is. I live in a Tory 30 year stronghold. It effectively means my vote is redundant until the nation decides it's had enough of austerity again.

As apposed to 1 out of 650 at the General Election?

To me that highlights just how crap FPTP is. I live in a Tory 30 year stronghold. It effectively means my vote is redundant until the nation decides it's had enough of austerity again.

I agree. The arguments against proportional representation (if that's your preference) are always that it leads to an unstable government whereby too many factions, some of which rather unsavoury can get a foothold. Personally I am not even sure that is an argument against but for.

I haven't made my mind up yet. I'm learning all that I can about both arguments. I'm erring towards out at the moment. Democracy will be a major factor in my choice, and it seems to me that it will only get more and more diluted if we stay in the EU.

perhaps this'll change your mind for those who want in.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/667908/Jean-Claude-Juncker-EU-referendum-Brexit-democracy-UK-Britain-Cameron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shorty wil be along in a minute to tell us never to believe any thing in the Express or Farage owns share in it :lol: :lol:

I'm all for increased democracy. Abolishing the Monarchy, the House of Lords and first past the post doesn't seem to be very high on any of the leave campaigners agenda's, though, which is a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shorty wil be along in a minute to tell us never to believe any thing in the Express or Farage owns share in it :lol: :lol:

no.. because thats not true.

if you dont mind.. I'll fix your post.

thus:

Shorty wil be along in a minute to tell us never to believe any thing in the Express because its owner donates to UKIP and urges people vote for UKIP :lol: :lol:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/570952/Express-Newspapers-Chairman-Richard-Desmond-gives-1-3m-to-Ukip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/575148/Vote-Ukip-patriotic-Britain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're welcome.

Edited by Anonymous

I'm all for increased democracy. Abolishing the Monarchy, the House of Lords and first past the post doesn't seem to be very high on any of the leave campaigners agenda's, though, which is a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would it be. This is a vote about the EU. The rest are internal points so have nothing to do with the EU.