Filtering

absmith

Filtering is 100% legal, and encouraged by most police forces.

If filtering guys and somone opens their door. Their fault?

It depends is the answer.

From what I can gather if the biker was going at a "suitable speed" ie slowly and carefully, then it will be the person who opened the doors fault, since you are meant to look before opening a door. Generally if you are filtering, it is between two slow/unmoving lines of active traffic, so not beside parked cars (don't filter on the left). People should not be opening doors in that situation.

• 4 weeks later...

It's legal if done correctly.

Just pay attention to other drivers, and the road.

Coming up to a slip road on a dual carriageway? Chances are that guy in the BMW/Merc/whatthehellkindaspoileristhatforacorsa, is going to try move across as he wanted to save a lot of time.

See someone look in their mirror repeatedly? They might be checking that it's clear to move over, they might not see you so slow down and if unsure toot the horn it's what it's for. (or get pipes and blip the throttle)

See wheels turning to change lanes? again let them know you're there, they might just be waiting for that gap infront of the lorry that just opened up so they can slip by and undertake a few cars.

Think ahead, keep an eye on your surroundings, go your own pace, if someones is being you filtering and tailgating you, just find a gap, indicate, pull in and let them pass, then just carry on after and remember you DON'T have to filter, sit in traffic if you feel safer and not all gaps are worth it.

oh and don't stick your hazards on.

Random question, but is filtering in a cycle lane legal?

I've always thought its not and have never used them to my advantage. Not that I've ever had the chance, but thinking about it;

Presuming traffic is at a stand still

Presuming the cycle lane is on the road and not a footpath

Presuming the cycle lane has broken white lines and NOT solid ones

Then surely this means you can enter it and therefor overtake in it?

Random question, but is filtering in a cycle lane legal?

I've always thought its not and have never used them to my advantage. Not that I've ever had the chance, but thinking about it;

Presuming traffic is at a stand still

Presuming the cycle lane is on the road and not a footpath

Presuming the cycle lane has broken white lines and NOT solid ones

Then surely this means you can enter it and therefor overtake in it?

if the cycle lane is distinguined by a broken line then yes you can enter and filter, if solid then no