Overtaking on a 125cc

Guest andy17704

I have a Honda CBF125 and was wondering if anyone knew if i was going around 30mph the best way to over take someone going the same speed quickly. Do i need to drop a gear to speed up?

I have a Honda CBF125 and was wondering if anyone knew if i was going around 30mph the best way to over take someone going the same speed quickly. Do i need to drop a gear to speed up?

well that would depend on what gear you are already in ;)

if you're in 6th gear, you'll need to drop a few gears.

you will get the hang of it, make sure that you really have the clear space ahead then go for it with the idea of getting by in one clean sweep

you do need the extra power in hand so drop a gear to get the engine singing if necessary then change up for speed, personally i don't overtake unless pressed

it just isn't worth it. filtering is a bit different and not what we are discussing here :) good luck :D oh and try and leave good distances at all times if you can :)

why overtake.. if they are slowing as you approach queued traffic then slow off drop to 3rd and filter as normal.

this is the thing i hate about my 125cc bike, no oomph to overtake effectively, so i normally just suck it until we get in a queue then i filter safely and enjoy my safe ride.

cant wait for a bigger bike. roll on 27th july

why overtake.. if they are slowing as you approach queued traffic then slow off drop to 3rd and filter as normal.

this is the thing i hate about my 125cc bike, no oomph to overtake effectively, so i normally just suck it until we get in a queue then i filter safely and enjoy my safe ride.

cant wait for a bigger bike. roll on 27th july

125 does not have enough power to overtake really!

I had a CBF125 and rarely overtook anything. I couldn't get enough speed quick enough to get past without either annoying drivers behind me or risking being hit by someone coming the other way.

I have a Honda CBF125 and was wondering if anyone knew if i was going around 30mph the best way to over take someone going the same speed quickly.

You can't defy the laws of physics, not even on a Honda. :thumb:

I drive a WR125x and i overtake all the time. you have to plan your overtake quite a while before you do it and like said above youll need to do it in a clean swoop. also , yes drop a gear and get the engine speaking then up again for the overtake. its all about weighing up potential hazards because the road changes every second your driving.

I drive a WR125x and i overtake all the time. you have to plan your overtake quite a while before you do it and like said above youll need to do it in a clean swoop. also , yes drop a gear and get the engine speaking then up again for the overtake. its all about weighing up potential hazards because the road changes every second your driving.

stationary vehicles don't count :P

• 1 month later...

Don't listen to those who are doubting the 125s overtaking ability.

I have a ktm duke 125 and I overtake in all speed situations however cars going 60+ are a struggle on smaller roads.

Remember be very careful over taking in wet or icy weather, and roads can be very unstable in the middle for lighter bikes like 125s

stationary vehicles don't count :P

Do not underestimate the WR125! It's an insane Japanese water cooled death machine with craptons of grunt that wheelies far too happily for its own good :shock: Worlds apart from a Chinese air cooled 125...