How to bungee a bag?

someone

Before I buy dedicated luggage I want to see if I can strap my usual rucksack onto my bike as an option.

The bag is a 55L one, I think, but fairly standard with a small bottom compartment, big middle one, then one within the top, and with straps everywhere.

Unscientifically measuring the bike's seat from behind me to the outer edge of the luggage rack on the bike is two gloves long, and the bag is two and a half gloves tall. So that should be fine, it would overhang as much as a top box at worst.

But how do I strap it securely? YouTube has let me down, I thought there would be videos showing how other people do it, but I could only find one, and it was not much use. (And YouTube had plenty showing how to buy petrol, which were very helpful at the time.)

Is it literally as simple as running some over the top and just letting them squeeze it, or does more need to be done so it is pulled in various places to stop it sliding off?

I have a net too, the regular Oxford one, but I think it might be a bit too small for a full bag as it is only about 10". Easy to hook that under the seat though, so a bigger one should fit too, using the wee rack if necessary.

So you think a net is better than cords? I plan to take some laundry for a test ride before committing to actually going somewhere so can give my net a test as well as cords, then buy a bigger net if necessary.

I bought bungees did not work...

Webbing straps and http://www.theratchetshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/b/cb25.jpg

but in the end a cargo net as above was fine I just pass hooks through pillion rails and loop back onto net...

Having sailed boats things don't need to be that secure on the back of a bike in comparison...

I guess ratchets are just another way of doing the same sort of thing as Rok Straps? The latter seem easy to attach, quite recommended, and not too expensive, so I will probably get some of those anyway. Even if a net works out best for a bag it will be good to have options for the future.

It took a while for me to accept my cheap tank bag will stay on with just magnets, so I am still in a "glorified elastic bands will not be enough" stage. Like however I do it will either fall off or tip me over.

Took a dirty blanket and some broken shoes for a ride around Woking today. All went well, so ordered a bigger net and a pair of Rok Straps as I now feel confident the bad should work without needing to commit to proper luggage yet.

(I would have taken them to the seaside, but forgot to load the route onto my phone and could not be bothered to go back indoors to download it, so used a West Surrey one. Had various types of road though, so a good test.)

The bag was only half full, only two gloves long and very squidgy, so I just crossed a pair of bungees in the middle, and then another wrapped around the rack. I wanted to pass the latter through some of the straps and have them pulling forwards, but the pillion pegs were too far forward that I had nothing long enough and nowhere else to hook to.

As I thought my net was too small, I could just get one pair of hooks on both sides of the bike, but it was far too taut to trust. Still not sure I trust myself just passing some bungees over a full bag, so hopefully a bigger net will be better. And I would feel more confident about tightened straps than bungees if not.

The things I did not think of, the bag formed a backrest for my bum. Was quite nice! And getting on and off was a bit more awkward with having to get my leg over the bag too.