3°C - 4°C - Safe to ride or not?

zoomzoom

I've not been able to get out on the bike for about a month now because every weekend it's been pissing it down!

This is my first winter riding and tomorrow it's give it a nice sunny day, but the temperatures have dropped to 3°C - 4°C and it says it will feel as cold is -2°C.

I'm worried about ice forming on the roads as I know this starts to happen at 4°C.

Wise or not wise to go out? Seen a lot of people come off on ice which is worrying me.

Cheers

Like Klingelton says just take it easy and keep an eye out for damp and/or shaded parts of the road. I was out yesterday when it was around 3°C and was fine (on new tyres too!).

when temperatures reach low single figures Im more cautious - particularly out in the countryside on corners. its often the case that a corner can be shaded and not see the sun all day long.. so if theres ice, its more apt to hang around. just be a bit more careful.

at this time of year though by far the biggest risk.. or potential problem are fallen leaves. wet leaves are a menace. so keep an eye out, again particularly on corners out in the countryside.

once the frost really hits and gritters are out in force.. the biggest concern is piles of grit that tend to be left at junctions. where the gritter lorry is forced to stop.. and grit can pile up. again this is a menace and something to watch out for.

Back in the day l had no alternative transport so no choice rode rain, wind, snow or other. What l will say is make sure your well wrapped up and take your time, watch out for the slick road banding and ironwork. I will also add, if your going to ride through the winter fit a set of tyres with plenty of tread, modern super sport tyres rely on heat to generate grip no matter how hard you try your never going to get them warm enough to make them work effectively and for sure there never going to displace the water.

Stay safe