direct bikes peds so cheap, why ??

bendiazclegg

because they look like cheap imports to me... and i think it will be hard to insure them if you dont use rampdale. Go onto an insurance website. Brand - Direct Bike... nope, not in list :/

I would guess they arent that reliable and I saw this site when I bought a scooter, but it just looked too good to be true, and there is usually a reason for that

"I recently ordered a bike from Direct Bikes. It arrived quickly and was easy to put together. I was a little unsure about how to register the bike but was offered helpful advice when I called Direct Bikes" is a quote from a review.

Also I think it would be hard to get parts for

I don't see how a self assembly bike can be fit for road use with out professional inspection first. Its the whole reason kit cars and the like have sva tests

Type approval. How do you think your local dealer gets away with bolting a bike together when he unpacks it?

I don't doubt there are 1000's of happy customers who read the small print.

However i think its really dodgey, sending a bike to someone saying on a A4 bit of paper its easy to put together!

Bit nuts if you ask me.

That is outrageous. I stopped watching Watchdog as I would get so angry, somethimes at them for their poor quality reporting as well as the rip off companies. In this case Watchdog are clearly spot on and Direct Bikes are a rip off company only interested in getting money off people.

But a dealer should have some form of experience, and the bike should be pdi'd from a dealer, even without the shite quality parts a bike would be dangerous if not put together properly. I do understand type approval, but if it's not assembled to a set standard how can they justify saying it's safe for road use.

But a dealer should have some form of experience, and the bike should be pdi'd from a dealer, even without the shite quality parts a bike would be dangerous if not put together properly. I do understand type approval, but if it's not assembled to a set standard how can they justify saying it's safe for road use.

The same way "they" justify allowing people to buy and fit hundreds of after-market parts on ebay, often with no experience etc blah blah.... :D

And having read some of the horror stories about "dealers"... and having had personal experience of a "dealer" refitting my back wheel such that it failed the MOT a day later due to the way he had fitted it, do you really think a "dealer" is any better at bolting bikes together?

If you're that worried about novices working on safety critical components, do you feel they should stop selling brake pads over the counter? :wink:

The same way "they" justify allowing people to buy and fit hundreds of after-market parts on ebay, often with no experience etc blah blah.... :D

And having read some of the horror stories about "dealers"... and having had personal experience of a "dealer" refitting my back wheel such that it failed the MOT a day later due to the way he had fitted it, do you really think a "dealer" is any better at bolting bikes together?

If you're that worried about novices working on safety critical components, do you feel they should stop selling brake pads over the counter? :wink:

+1. Apart the "dealer messed up my bike" thing, hasn't happened to me yet. That may be because i do all the work to my bikes myself. Without a mechanics qualification ( :shock: )

And if anyone ever tries to tell me that the work i have done on my own bike needs outside approval at my cost and inconvenience they can STFU (just to point out that's not a personal dig, that's simply my attitude to needless red tape). I'm happy that this type approval exists as it implies a degree of personal responsibility (i.e. if you want to bolt together a collection of parts that together make up a bike that is fit for purpose, by yourself to save paying someone else to spanner it for you, go ahead). It's the sort of thing that i'd considert to save costs. Would buy something as hideous as a scooter of course, but if i put my bike together myself, i'll know it was built perfectly. Locktite and copper grease everywhere :lol:

• 3 years later...

i bought a scooter from direct bikes aporox 4 months ago. Had it serviced at 300 miles and then again just before 1000 miles. Now the clutch has gone. I have emailed DirectBikes for warranty claim. They are less than helpfull. I have had to pay a motorbike mechanic and order the new clutch to get it back on the road. I have tried to get this resolved under warranty but Direct Bikes just said that i aint covered and now just ignore me. I am taking this to trading standards as i believe Direct Bikes are not helping me with this problem altho i have had the scooter only 4 months and it should still be under the normal 12 month standard warranty. Direct Bikes should be avoided at all costs and are a waste of time as a company and would advise people not to buy off them.

I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE PEOPLE NOT TO EVEN DO BUSINESS WITH DIRECT BIKES. THEYRE AFTER SALES CARE IS NON EXISTANT AND THEY SO CALLED WARRANTY AINT EVEN WORTH LOOKING AT.

• 4 years later...

my wife has had the same problem with them,the battery went dead and will not charge up,emailed them 3 times and when we did get a reply was told the battery was not covered under the warranty,brought a new battery in the end,directbikes are a sham mate.