<t>Do you wave to other bikers</t>  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wave to other bikers

• Yes, always
    • Only if they have a specific type of bike
    • Only if they wave first
    • No, never wave

Apologies if this has been asked/debated before

Whilst out covering near 300 miles today I saw a lot of bikers out and about, I nodded or waved to all of them but a fair few didn't acknowledge me

Is this a growing trend?

Apologies if this has been asked/debated before

Whilst out covering near 300 miles today I saw a lot of bikers out and about, I nodded or waved to all of them but a fair few didn't acknowledge me

Is this a growing trend?

They don't wave around here.. mostly they seem to be hanging on for dear life. :mrgreen:

Theres a lot of acknowledgement.. a nod. especially in winter.. I'm guessing its all part of the aren't we the hard knock riding in 2c on salt with snow forecast. and if you commute.. then its likely you see the same bikes regularly.

in summer it tails off somewhat. sheer weight of numbers. try waving at every biker on your way to Matlock on a warm dry sunny sunday and your hand is likely to drop off.

in europe.. they don't wave. they point at the tarmac. the germans do that a lot. Or wave their legs as they pass. the french look at you like you have 2 heads. the italians.. well.. they're just insane.. too busy trying to kill themselves than wave at anyone.

sweeping generalisations R us. :mrgreen:

I only headnod never considered waving (to focused on controlling the throttle).

In winter most of the bikers I come across nodded back, again probably because of the whole commuting through winter and braving the cold, although recently I've seen a lot of KTM's/Honda/Sports bikes that fail to acknowledge me.

I had one bike coming in the opposite direction who I nodded at, he looked at my helmet (AGV K3 SV - Rossi Styling) and then started at my bike and I guess he liked the look of my helmet but didn't like my lexmoto, so was like "ok mr judgemental"..

Can't say I'm bothered by people that don't nod back for me it's more about when bikers don't stop when you're in trouble in terms of broken down, every time I've pulled over with my hazards on the bikes just carry on past.

So much for the "biker community" :roll:

Can't say I'm bothered by people that don't nod back for me it's more about when bikers don't stop when you're in trouble in terms of broken down, every time I've pulled over with my hazards on the bikes just carry on past.

Try putting your helmet by your back wheel, that's the sign.

Try putting your helmet by your back wheel, that's the sign.

I had one that was stopped in traffic.. I was at the side of the rode with gloves and helmet on the floor with hazards on attempting to put my clutch cable back in place after it came out.. made eye contact and I just shrugged my shoulders with the intention of acting unimpressed and he just carried on.

I'll be sure to note the helmet position though, cheers.

lets be honest s lot of the time we are(or should be) watching whats going on around us and might miss the nod unless its like matt says from front to back wheel i often flash full beam specially if on fast roads and dual carriageways

I think I'm a friendly biker.

Certainly always acknowledge during the daylight.

I work shifts so the times I travel can be after tea or daft o'clock in the morning so you tend to see the same bikes.

One bloke with a hyubusa. Always nods

You lad on a ninja. We even chat at the lights. ..lol

Learner on a Chinese 125. He scares me. His right hand must only go one way

It's more about when bikers don't stop when you're in trouble in terms of broken down, every time I've pulled over with my hazards on the bikes just carry on past.

I would go as far as to wager that not everyone has enough ability as to be genuinely helpful in most circumstances. I'd rather get on with fixing a problem than waste time talking to some bonehead who just stands there sucking his teeth.

I've stopped a number times for stranded bikers - most want you to sod off so they can wallow in self pity and I've only had one guy who accepted my offer of trailering him back home.

I think a lot of people are reluctant to help others at the side of the road because of scare stories of scams or being jumped on.

But in general I find a lot of people to be very ignorant these days and are so wrapped up in their own special little world, they have no time for others.

But then I am a cynical old sod.......................

I think a fair bit of it has to fo with where you live and your own personality.

According to r lass I'm a gobshite and a "bit of a character" hence would always nod n chat.

Hooray - Another 'nodding thread' - A few more days and we will be debating the art of counter-.........!

Personally, if the 'other' biker does not acknowledge the wave, nod, thumbs up or foot waggle - I just add him/her to my list of 'knobs' and carry on.

The only time I don't nod, wave, etc. is when I am threading my wave between rows of traffic.

:cheers:

I don't wave i'm to busy hoping i don't fall off haha!

But nah like most i just nod =) To all riders, except for the idiots not wearing anything bar a helmet (And their normal clothes..)

And if i'm being annoyed a shake of my derriere ha

Edited by Glorian

I don't wave. I always nod unless you're on a ped :P or a learner as learners don't ever seem to nod back if you give them a nod.

Except there was this one learner who gave me a nod the other day and I didn't expect it and failed to nod back. Felt bad.

Im on a 125, but an yearning to get my full license.. £££ is the only thing stopping me atm.

And even though my bike doesnt look like a 125. (honda CBF125) I nod at every biker i see, including most peds unless i see they are the type to wear tracksuit bottoms on their ankles... :up:

Yet i only recieve a nod from 1 in 5 bikers, and even then it seems like its a "oh if i have to" kinda thing. Except from one guy on what i only remember to look like a hayabusa. he gave me the most energetic head nod i thought he was about to fall off his fkin bike. :mrgreen:

Im just putting it down to the fact im on a 125 and not a monster.

i just kinda hoped for more y'know :tumble:

I'll nod to everyone bar people who only wear a helmet and no PPE but that's my choice!

Did 300miles Saturday and maybe 70% nodded back but when there are large groups I just put up my left hand up rather than nodding otherwise id getting dizzy!

Cities I find no one tends to much and people on BMWs, cruisers. I also get shunned by everyone when wearing my Motox lid in the boiling days we have as people look at the lid and then the bike and prob think what a wally rather than OMG this air flow is amazing I'm not boiling in my own sweat lol

I'm definitely gonna start nodding. .I darent wave as I've only just passed my CBT and should ideally keep both hands on the bike :) but yeah I'm gonna nod at everyone on any bike .. (again except chavs :) )

As for stopping and helping .. I'd love to but know nothing myself so hoping someone helps if I get stuck else I'm buggered :)

As for stopping and helping .. I'd love to but know nothing myself so hoping someone helps if I get stuck else I'm buggered :)

I've been riding for a few months and have rode past a few cars that look like they're in trouble.. don't feel bad because I've had one serious breakdown and a few faults and not a single person stopped for me, can't say I've encountered a biker that looks to be in trouble thus far would be more inclined to attempt a lending hand.. problem is, most of the time I'm commuting not riding socially or for fun therefore don't really have the time as bad as it sounds.

I will strongly advise that you always have credit on your phone and the recovery number from your insurance policy (you do have breakdown cover right?).. sadly my one serious breakdown was 9 days after I purchased my lexmoto.. I repeat 9 days, I hadn't a clue about bikes.. got to a roundabout and started to downshift and it just cut out loosing power slowly, wouldn't start, ended up pushing it a few miles (while sat on it.. just used my feet to push me) and then managed to get it started for one last time and get home without stopping mostly in anything but a safe roadworthy condition, didn't have the number or credit at the time (as you can imagine I didn't think I'd be breaking down) so is always handy.

Getting to know your bike and look after it regularly will help in spotting problems early, most importantly inspect your bike before every ride (I do mine on the first ride every day).

Things to carry with you at all times (I learnt the hard way over time);

- A toolkit with all required spanners/screwdrivers

- A phone with a bright light or a handheld small light (often easier to get in smaller places)

- Electrical tape

- Spare L plates (annoying but always handy, I've had my fair share of battered ones due to high wind)

Plus I always take a towel so I don't end up having to sit on a wet seat.. also came in handy throughout winter when all I had to do was wipe my mirrors and clocks and get on my way (after a long warmup waiting period)..

Also ensure you top your tyres up the recommended amount at least once a week and lube your chain when required, two very important points to keep you away from a breakdown or an off.