MT07 - ABS or No ABS

Digzy

<t>ABS or Non-ABS</t>  

20 members have voted

1. 1. ABS or Non-ABS

• ABS
    • Non-ABS

I'd say go without.

But that's for me-I haven't ridden a modern ABS, only a 2009 Yamaha XJ6 and didn't like it.

so please.. just for me, why didn't you like it?

haha, yeah let me explain just for you...I rode it on greek SLIPPERY city roads on which I was used to ride a lot with my own bike.

I really didn't like the feedback/feeling (although there's no doubt which system works better) and I was getting the impression it went on too easily. If I compare it to the british roads which I find brilliant in terms of traction, I believe that a willing-to-learn/train rider can make the best out of their no ABS brakes, I don't really see the need for ABS (although there's no doubt that it's a safety feature).

I'm also sure I'm biased, but that's just me. Afterall most of us learned to ride, enjoy it and survive without ABS.

I'd definitely have it........just read midlifebikers recent thread and realise how much less dramatic it would have been if he'd had ABS...... :wink:

I think you've nailed it with that comment.. if ABS were to become ubiquitous these OH MY GOD moments would virtually disappear and be replaced with BLOODY IDIOT!! moments which will admittedly make for rather less dramatic reading. if you ever need to slam on the brakes in a moment of panic and the bike simply stops. how long before that panic moment is forgotten? and all you think about is how angry you are because some idiot made you slam on the brakes.

I can't remember my last OH MY GOD moment in a near miss with me panic braking. probably because all I did was come to a stop. and fume. no drama.

Well thanks for all the advice everyone,

As far as somone mentioning ABS in all bikes, its becoming a EU law from 1st Jan 2016 i believe.

so theres that.

i have to wait anyway... failed my mod 1 :bang:

pissing down with rain, ground had plenty of surface water, back wheel locked.

ironically the perfect time for ABS... go figure.

re booking today :P

As far as somone mentioning ABS in all bikes, its becoming a EU law from 1st Jan 2016 i believe.

Interesting to see how that effects retail prices of the bikes, doesn't effect 125cc's thankfully from what I read.

Now and then could be the time to get a bargain before prices go up, although surely the current models will be reduced to clear stock when new models are bought out?

If it becomes law that all brand new bikes should be sold with ABS any old stock without might need to be pre registered and sold off cheaply as ex-demo..

Thats when a non-abs bargain might be found

If it becomes law that all brand new bikes should be sold with ABS any old stock without might need to be pre registered and sold off cheaply as ex-demo..

Thats when a non-abs bargain might be found

That'll be a shame. :-)

New bike for me next spring!

Interesting to see how that effects retail prices of the bikes, doesn't effect 125cc's thankfully from what I read.

Im not sure that it will.. except minimally. The bike i bought had it.. it was the showroom bike, back in the day when for some less common models dealers would have one in. not just testers. It was only after i paid the deposit that i discovered the ABS added £800 to the price!! but.. The bank loan had been sorted and I simply couldn't wait for a non-ABS bike to be ordered and delivered.

that was in 1997. very few bikes had it and they were all big touring bikes.

I read a couple of years ago that Suzuki were adding it to some 'mid price' model.. and it was a £200 option.

This is how it works, no different for any innovation - the first are always incredibly expensive because of rarity. if BMW produce 12000 bikes a year and only 750 have the ABS option then thats going to make it pricey. if only Honda and Kawasaki use it too and in similarly small numbers then the same applies. not just the small numbers of units being ordered.. but also the labour involved in fitting it. little things like non-standard wheel hubs etc. but once it becomes common across all makers and all bikes.. economies of scale come into play. A system that once cost £800 to add. goes for a quarter of the price and as technology improves developments make the manufacture even cheaper. back in the 90s only Bosch made ABS for bikes.. Im betting competition is hot and only going to get hotter as more bikes get it and especially when it becomes law.

Airbags were the same... and so were seat belts back in the day. silly money. now.. not so silly.