Track Day Discussion

chris128

Either that or the rear wheel is out of whack.

What's the tyre like? I've had a couple of Bridgestones that weren't quite right around the edge - they sort of... undulated.

I cant make my mind up what sort of tear that is but it looks like you have a geometry issue.

doesn't look right does it..

patchy tear like that suggests suspension is not setup right. rebound/compression need looking at i reckon.

Spot on.

Its a bumpy track so a stab in the dark is its hitting a bump and the compression isnt stiff enough to absorb the inital bump and the rebound not fast enough to push the tyre back to the tarmac before the next bump. So its skipping along.

Worded bad, the compression is absorbing to much bump initaly. Needs stiffining up abit.

Will have a look tomorrow :thumb:

Do any of you ride on track only? I wasnt prepared for how good it is and realised its the only place you can really use a sports bike properly (or atleast try to in my case).

Since doing the first day 2 weeks ago ive been out on the road 3 or 4 times along my local routes and it doesnt feel the same. You realise how much of a ride your sat bolt upright and get frustrated when you come to a corner and theres a que of cars ahead 'spoiling' the road.

I dont know if im just in a bit of a trackday buzz and i will get back to enjoying the road again or wether its worth looking into taking the step of getting a track bike and sticking to that.

Tuks - much to my shame I don't really ride on the road so much nowadays for exactly the reasons you state. It seems a waste to get all the gear on and hop on a sports bike just to bimble to work or something.

I bought a track bike after a couple of track days as I didn't want to knack my zx6r. At least I know that if I stuff it then I've not thrown loads of money away. If you hunt about you can pick track bikes up fairly cheaply but you need to add in the other stuff like a trailer/van hire, genny, tyre warmers etc.

I think CC, our resident track hooligan, has ditched road riding completely although I like the fact that I can still go for a blast if I want to.

Theres so many options to consider.

Buy a van or rent each time.

If buy one do i swap the car for a decent one but not sure i could live with a van everyday.

If its a second vehicle theres the storage, extra tax insurance etc.

Do i keep a road bike too. Again storage insurance etc.

Will i get enough time on track over a year to make it worthwhile.

Tricky isn't it. :-)

I have a trailer which I adapted from a caravan base. I made it in such a way that it comes apart for easy storage - probably cost £200 by the time I was finished. Then it was another couple of hundred for the towbar kit. I can get all my gear on the car (just) and undoubtedly it would be more practical to have a van however I don't want another vehicle or to use a van as a daily driver.

I ruled out van hire as it works out quite expensive in the mid/long term and it would be considerably more difficult to get the bike in the back single handed than on the trailer.

My track bike has a daylight MOT which is okay but there have been a few times I've had to duck out of a meet or something early to avoid riding in the dark. Plus you end up spoiling your expensive track tyres. The solution would be to have yet another set of wheels for road tyres and a quick change streetfighter kit/road fairings but that's more time and money.

My insurance on the track bike isn't that much as I have it under a multi bike policy with the road one - think it's about £250 for both and I only tax it for half the year so really it's not a huge amount.

Theres so many options to consider.

Buy a van or rent each time.

If buy one do i swap the car for a decent one but not sure i could live with a van everyday.

If its a second vehicle theres the storage, extra tax insurance etc.

Do i keep a road bike too. Again storage insurance etc.

Will i get enough time on track over a year to make it worthwhile.

I only ride track, did 1 trackday and then did about 20miles on the road and thats it.

Went for a ride with mates, got fustrated with traffic blasted home through some twistys and never been on the road since.

I have a van, doubles up to sleep in. Gets all the kit in and its all safe.

Only problem is parking it in car parks, its longer then the bays and its got ladders on the back.

Used to use a trailer but then i couldnt sleep at the track/had to get up at 5am to load the bikes and kit.

If you get into it it will cost you a arm and a leg.

Problem I have is most track days are in the week, not much at weekends close by to me, so a day of fun at the track would cost me a days lost wages on top of the other costs.

Problem I have is most track days are in the week, not much at weekends close by to me, so a day of fun at the track would cost me a days lost wages on top of the other costs.

Costs me a days wage to.

But i wont do weekend/bank hol because it ends up been a red flag fest with all the rossi wannabes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...