Boots lifespan

Hi guys and gals, my boots are about 19/20 months old now and are quite simply knackered! I was wondering if this was a decent lifespan for a boot? Or is it due to the fact I only paid about £60 for them.

It's probably worth mentioning though I do use the bike to get to work all year round so I have had heavy use out of them.

Is it really worth spending lots on boots like any of the alpinestars! Or is it just a fashion accessory and they won't last any Longer?

Thoughts please

Ad

Read a book about a guy who rode around the world in a pair of TCX Infinity boots and then still used them for commuting when he got back........ :wink:

My Sidi Black Rain Evo's are still going Ok at 4 years plus........although they're not so waterproof now...... 8-)

My Richa Drift boots are utterly knackered, and stopped being waterproof quite some time ago. My new Richa boots are already looking pretty tatty :lol: But then, I walk all over the place in mine and grovel on the floor in them while working on the bike, and I'm generally a bit careless, so they never last that well. Plus boots in the larger sizes always seem a bit crap, they never fit properly all the way round so one weak spot or another proves to be the undoing long before the rest of the boot gives up the ghost.

Might be worth putting a life span to the boots... could be 15 years but only seen 5k miles ;)

I had alpinestars SMX-5 but the zip broke on one of them after around 1 year (15k miles of usage).

I bought another pair since they made a slight change in design making it less likely to happen.

I have been thinking. An expensive boot lasting many years is potentially a better deal than replacing a cheaper boot every year.

Thanks for the help people now to decide what to go for...

Coming up for 2 years old now I think, my Richa Drift boots are in good nick, getting a little scruffy but not too bad. I'm a bit obsessive about trying to keep the white white and I give 'em a good clean once every 1-2 months and use leather conditioner and black and white cheap shoe polish stuff I got from Morrison's, works pretty well!

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/11874153_1605261573075363_455679752_n_zps7x19t2z2.jpg

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/11909768_1605261563075364_1294846185_n_zpsgmnlglda.jpg

Not waterproof but will survive maybe 45mins in a v heavy shower til your toes start getting moist :lol: ! Otherwise they last ok in 'pussy sprinkle' (in-joke for 'not heavy rain'! :mrgreen: ). I wear them at least 4 days a week, used to be much more and used to walk in them loads too but not so much these past 9 months. I don't use them for cleaning the bike etc so they don't get scruffy, I wear old trainers as I realised I was starting to scuff up the toe-area a bit. Not bad seeing as they only set me back about £80 at NEC and look much nicer than most cheap boots IMO 8-) . When they've finally had their day, I will likely buy the same ones as Fozzie as his cost not much more and are fully waterproof and you can get them in white too (if I can still be arsed with cleaning white boots then!! :mrgreen: ) - I think they are TCX Sportour and around £100-ish; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TCX-S-Sportou ... 2349731342 . I don't think you have to pay over the odds to get decent boots, though it's taken 3 cheaper pairs prior to these to find myself a decent cheap pair that do actually last!

Read a book about a guy who rode around the world in a pair of TCX Infinity boots and then still used them for commuting when he got back........ :wink:

My Sidi Black Rain Evo's are still going Ok at 4 years plus........although they're not so waterproof now...... 8-)

Ive got TCX's and still going strong after 6 years of use all year round, very comfy boots too and totally waterproof.

I've got a pair of Altberg, mostly cause I could not find any others that would fit my small feet/large calves combo (thats what playing a lot of sport does to you...). The guys at altberg specially made my boots for me. Size 4.5 soles attached to size 6 uppers. You would never know any different when looking at them!

4Eo1-mKrXvE799k9G3QaEkiQURMYoHrHUZfUeSXJumDz=w1311-h983-no

I got them late last year, used them when I was a pillion up until i got my own bike in March. They are a bit scruffy around the toes cause I was wearing them while working on the bikes in the garage (oops) but other than that they are perfect. Keep my feet both warm, and cool. And very dry :-) Also comfortable to walk around in off the bike.

I paid £185 for them, although I did have to go to Yorkshire twice ;-)

I'd fully recommend them to anyone. My partner has had a pair of Altbergs for around 7 years now. They have done well, although the velcro is starting to suffer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a pair of the new Altberg Road Runners, beautifully made and 100% waterproof, I expect they last as long as I do.

I'll be able to get them re-soled or repaired whenever required.

I also have a pair of Altbergs from years ago, they have had new soles and a new gear lever patch on them this year and they're now better than new.

You really can't beat them for quality, longevity and after service.