What to look for in textiles?

Having had leathers only since i got the bike, me and the mrs are looking to get some textiles for touring in, or for day trips when were not blasting along at silly speeds. (it's not me i swear :angel12: )

i was thinking of getting RST textiles, but what do i look for in textiles? double stitching? goretex? removable layers? pockets?

any advice will be appreciated :)

I think that the best thing about textiles is the versatility. Most come with a zip out lining for cold/hot weather. You want vents, especially in the trousers for when it gets very hot. Avoid shiny linings especially in the trousers as they can stick to your legs. If you think you will use gortex, as in ride long distances in the rain, it is a worthwhile investment. Assume the pockets will not be waterproof and carry stuff in freezer bags.

I have RST pro series adventure with zip out waterproof liner and zip out warm liner. They are on the warm side even with warm liner out. Never take the waterproof out as never know when it is going to rain. Find the textile more versatile for commuting to work. Wear them over office trousers.

They have zipped vents, but don't work too well if the waterproof liner is still in.

Leathers for weekend rides.

My RST's are beige colour. Regret it now as they are looking dirty. :roll:

Personally I look for, in order of importance after fit:

1. Waterproofness. And is it removable or fixed lining? Many people rave about gortex, I've never had it so cannot comment. I have got a hein gerick sheltex jacket with holds up reasonably well in the wet.

My Lindstrands jacket however is much more waterproof. As well as breathable. Unlike the sheltex stuff.

I will say though, I don't ride long distances. I only go for fixed waterproof linings. Living in Scotland, you always need it! Double/triple stitching seems to be the way to go.

2. Vents. And do they close properly.

3. If they have a thermal layer, is it removable? I tend to ride without the thermal layers, as if it is really cold/snow/ice. I'll take the car.

4. Adjustability. Textiles by their nature are more adjustable thank leathers but I love the ones where you can adjust pretty much anything. Hips(both on the trousers and jacket), wasit, arm width, leg width :-)

The main reason for opting for goretex is its lifetime guarantee... so if you buy a jacket or trousers with a normal 1 year guarantee and then say, 5 years later it leaks. with no obvious damage. so, you've not crashed in it.. or its not been otherwise damaged. Goretex will give you a refund.

from this you can make a judgement that goretex don't let just any tom dick or harry use their product. they're very fussy about quality control and if the manufacturer isn't up to scratch. goretex wont supply them.

for these reasons goretex carries a premium. There are plenty of alternatives. that are very similar to Goretex. but none of them are as fussy about 'quality' nor do any of them offer a 'waterproof' guarantee thats entirely independent of the garments manufacturer.

there are two types.. the first is removable and these tend to be used in mid price garments. and especially in garments that may see higher than average temperatures.. its pretty pointless having waterproof layers if its going to be weeks of blue skies and 30c heat.

the other is laminated to the outer layer.. and these are probably better suited to our climate where really hot days are fairly unusual.

Personally I found the RST were fine for showers but anything more and they started to leak :(

Furygan seem to hold up a lot better they are 2 to 3 times the price and eventually succumb to the British climate.

Best option I found was in the summer months take a packmack that you can wear over your leathers and then in the winter i'll wear my ski jacket over my leather jacket. Gives warmth, proper waterproofing and has plenty of high viz bits on it to give that bit extra that my textile. Thermals under Kevlar jeans and the waterproof over trousers keep the wind off and the water out.

I have waster hundreds of pounds buying textile clothing sub £400 a piece and after a year they all seem to leak in our lovely climate lol

If you have the cash buy Rukka and you will never ever look back :)

If you have the cash buy Rukka and you will never ever look back :)

I will quote you on that in a couple of weeks when I have used them. My misses decided to treat me for my birthday. I went to the shop and they did not have my size, now she's only paying the deposit :?

I get to pay the rest. ...

PS infinity have a good deal on Rukka at the moment. ..

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a textile jacket that was comfortable and just a cheap Spada waterproof over jacket for the rain that I keep in the top box.

I commute over an hour each way to work each day and have done that in the pouring rain and the Spada didn't let a drop in, great little purchase that was. :)

Got Richa over trousers too to go over my Kevlar jeans which were £16 and equally as good.