Puncture repair and Air compressor

Any recommendations for a decent tubeless puncture repair kit (mushroom type) and an Air compressor with a Din Hella type power supply (same as the BMW auxiliary type)?

Lots out there but I'd rather buy on recommendation.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Stop and Go. + Airman Tour.

I have the larger 'gun' type plug tool and its surprisingly simple and effective to use.

I would suggest you also add a 'multi-tool' to your kit.. for the pliers, which is great for pulling out whatever caused the puncture in the first place. something like a Gerber.

Unknown.jpeg.61cf72c9f288f8bb1af510d44565b200.jpeg

Thanks Shorty. Is this the kit?

http://www.stopngo.com/standard-model-tire-plugger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the compressor?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airman-Compact-Compressor-Inflator-Gauge/dp/B006B96OGS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Exactly right on both counts. My reasoning for the larger kit is that its easier to use.. and quicker. also the fact its larger doesnt matter to me, As I would always carry the pump too I have to find room for that so having both is not a problem. they go in the top box, or bottom of panniers or in a rucksack bungied to the rear seat.

The stop and go big kit.. measures 16.5 x 22cm the pump a little smaller.

and as per my edit... you will also need pliers. try puling a nail out of a tyre with your bare fingers.

most puncture kits are 'get you home' or 'limp to a garage' types... the co2 cartridges dont do much to a tyre aside from make the bike just about 'rideable' - this kit is on a different level. A full repair and you can carry on as though nothing has happened. Just test the pressure after a little while to be sure. Obviously there is no glue to worry about. so the repair can take minutes to do and no risk of the glue going 'off'. because there isn't any.

usual caveats apply.. there are some punctures that no kit can repair and the tyre must be changed. holes larger than 7mm. or side wall or near to. slash holes.. rather than clean 'nail' punctures and so on.

Edited by Anonymous

Shorty mate, thanks! Answered all my questions and more. Right, best get them ordered!

Thanks again :thumb:

I bought a repair kit off eBay for about £20, like this one http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131291111914&alt=web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , it uses plugs not the string stuff, not used it so can't recommend it. As for the compressor I have a digital one from tesco which works great and is tiny.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

But make sure you always have three canisters because experience tells me you only get 9 psi from flat from one :lol:

this might interest you.

it takes six 12-gram canisters to inflate a 180/55-17 rear tire to 20 psi, while a similar number of 16-gram charges will get it to 23 psi. A single 68-gram cartridge will inflate that tire to 22 psi. These pressures are lower than normal in part because CO2 cools dramatically when it's released. In any event, riding on the tire will increase pressure enough to make it safely to a better source of compressed air.

obviously if you have a pump to hand and can fully inflate the tyre then problem solved. also i should add that Stop & Go do not include gas cartridges in their kits.. because they are not appropriate to this method. the tyre should be fully inflated before the last step in the repair process is made. this cannot be done with a cartridge.

Don't need a compressor, get a kit that includes little gas bottles.

The kit has 3 co2 canisters but if i need to use 1 to bead the tyre then I'd still be up sh*t creek without a paddle hence the need for a compressor.

The kit has 3 co2 canisters but if i need to use 1 to bead the tyre then I'd still be up sh*t creek without a paddle hence the need for a compressor.

If the tyre comes off the wheel rim then I very much doubt that one of these little 12v inflators will reseat it.. thats not what they're for. They are solely for re-inflating a tyre and aren't particularly fast. I think you're looking at the best part of 10 minutes to go from completely flat to around 40psi. not fast at all.

If I had a puncture and the tyre came off the wheel rim, I think I would probably have more problems on my hands than a simple puncture.

Using a stop and go... the tyre stays on the rim. its repaired without any need for the tyre to come off. As far as Im concerned its essentially a permanent repair.. but theres nothing stopping you from taking the tyre to a repair shop later and having a 'professional' job done. Or if you're really 'iffy' about puncture repairs... getting the tyre replaced.

for me the best thing about these kits.. both parts. is that a puncture isnt a disaster. it can be fixed and the tyre fully re-inflated within about 15 minutes. The repair itself takes about 3 minutes to do.. the bulk of the time is the actual re-inflation. This assuming the puncture can be repaired. Not all can be. getting going again under my own steam is much better i think than having to wait for the RAC or whoever to arrive. it might actually come to that.. but it might not.

If the tyre comes off the wheel rim then I very much doubt that one of these little 12v inflators will reseat it.. thats not what they're for. They are solely for re-inflating a tyre and aren't particularly fast. I think you're looking at the best part of 10 minutes to go from completely flat to around 40psi. not fast at all.

If I had a puncture and the tyre came off the wheel rim, I think I would probably have more problems on my hands than a simple puncture.

Using a stop and go... the tyre stays on the rim. its repaired without any need for the tyre to come off. As far as Im concerned its essentially a permanent repair.. but theres nothing stopping you from taking the tyre to a repair shop later and having a 'professional' job done. Or if you're really 'iffy' about puncture repairs... getting the tyre replaced.

for me the best thing about these kits.. both parts. is that a puncture isnt a disaster. it can be fixed and the tyre fully re-inflated within about 15 minutes. The repair itself takes about 3 minutes to do.. the bulk of the time is the actual re-inflation. This assuming the puncture can be repaired. Not all can be. getting going again under my own steam is much better i think than having to wait for the RAC or whoever to arrive. it might actually come to that.. but it might not.

Eh? I was talking about using a co2 cart to bead the tyre lol