Looking for a 1-1 motorbike lessson

Hello all,

I have recently bought my first 125cc after passing my cbt and I am nervous to go on the road by myself. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that rides and so need somebody to come, preferably early weekend morning or latish evening and ride on the road with me. All I need is someone to ride in front of me at first, and then maybe behind me when I am more confident.

I made a similar post before but with no luck, so I am offering 20 pounds/hour for whoever is willing to do that (plus I will cover your petrol).

Some suggested for me to hire a private instructor but they charge crazy prices and at the moment I can't afford that.

I know what I am offering is probably not that much, but still really do hope someone will respond.

Thanks,

Irina

Could try sending BikerMooFromMars a message, I think she's somewhere in your neck of the woods and has clocked up a good many miles on a 125 around London, and can probably give tips on what works well for overcoming confidence problems. Not sure how often she's on here these days so could message Fozzie and get him to pass the message along.

Don't take her advice on cornering, though :up:

Hi Ira,

Did you try to contact anyone from the Surrey New Rider's Club? http://newridersclub.webs.com/

I don't know if they are still an active group but there is a contact number on the site which you could try. Someone from there might be very willing to come and help a new local rider on a 1-2-1 basis.

Good luck :)

Ollies trying to get himself a slap i see... :D

Most people i know on this forum tend to be north of london! If you can't find anyone my recomendation would be to re-take your CBT, ask if you can spend the time on the road instead of the parking lot stuff.

What is it particularly you're worried about? Is it controlling the motorcycle? Remembering what to do on the road? Other road users? If it helps i can help talk you through some things, feel free to PM me.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

When I got on the road what makes me nervous is the combination of having to think about where to go, think about all the road signs and think about gears, and meanwhile be aware of other cars, people, foxes etc. It's just too much, so if someone rides in front of me, at least I don't have to think about where I'm going which makes it easier. When I get more confident then I can go in front, and someone behind me will just make me feel safer.

I have tried other motorcycle forums, thanks, and I've tried searching for users, but can't find - BikerMooFromMars..?

Thanks all for your suggestions.

When I got on the road what makes me nervous is the combination of having to think about where to go, think about all the road signs and think about gears, and meanwhile be aware of other cars, people, foxes etc. It's just too much, so if someone rides in front of me, at least I don't have to think about where I'm going which makes it easier. When I get more confident then I can go in front, and someone behind me will just make me feel safer.

I have tried other motorcycle forums, thanks, and I've tried searching for users, but can't find - BikerMooFromMars..?

I know like no other person what you're going through right now!

I actually told my dad there was no way I'd take a bike on the road by myself. I've done my CBT on a 125 but still feel really insecure being on the road (Especially English roads as I come from the right side of the road).

My dad however told me to toughen up and just take a bike up some not so busy roads, (maybe some little town roads?) So you can really pick up the whole controlling part so that the changing gears and things will become a habit.

If you feel comfortable like that, try to take some 'easy' roads that you know to sort of get used to feel more secure on the road itself.

Well, if you still don't feel too secure, which I can fully understand, I think you should indeed find someone to guide you through for a little while. But still, if you find a little confidence and you don't do weird things on the road, you should be fine. You're still on L-plates, which means you're still learning! Otherwise like others have said, maybe book another CBT where you only go on the roads. The instructor can probably teach you better than just any road user (no offence).

I'm sorry I can't help you, I would've loved to! But I have to admit, I haven't been on the English roads for longer than 2 hours (which was during my CBT) so I probably wouldn't be able to help you very much, haha. But when I'm in Oxford again, I'd love to meet up with you to go out for a drive together! It always helps when your with more than one!

Oops! Seems I'm too new to send a pm! I'm in Germany until next week and have a few bits to do when I'm back, but would be free for a ride on the 8th? I live in Kingston we can meet there or in surbiton if you like.

Awesome! 8th is good. Surbiton is good. Although I did get by myself to Kingston once already, I don't know where to stop there, one way system.

I can't wait! I will private message you my number

Could try sending BikerMooFromMars a message, I think she's somewhere in your neck of the woods and has clocked up a good many miles on a 125 around London, and can probably give tips on what works well for overcoming confidence problems. Not sure how often she's on here these days so could message Fozzie and get him to pass the message along.

Don't take her advice on cornering, though :up:

I think she may have gone to the dark side now she has 4 wheels [emoji6]

I have just replied to the PM - have been a bit slack with TMBF lately!

I've offered after my driving test on the 14th or Sat 15th morning to early afternoon. Anyone else is free to join unless Ira you prefer just us 2 to go and are available? I'm not doing anything Sat morn-early afternoon and would love to go for a bimble with a newbie - Fozzie is around Fri afternoon too and may be up for joining. Pretty much only been riding just my work route for some time now, miss fun runs.

And I am the cornering QUEEN! I scraped my peg once, you know :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: hahaha! Don't take advice from Rantmachine on buying bikes though :lol: !

I have just replied to the PM - have been a bit slack with TMBF lately!

I've offered after my driving test on the 14th or Sat 15th morning to early afternoon. Anyone else is free to join unless Ira you prefer just us 2 to go and are available? I'm not doing anything Sat morn-early afternoon and would love to go for a bimble with a newbie - Fozzie is around Fri afternoon too and may be up for joining. Pretty much only been riding just my work route for some time now, miss fun runs.

And I am the cornering QUEEN! I scraped my peg once, you know :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: hahaha! Don't take advice from Rantmachine on buying bikes though :lol: !

Awesome, TMBF gets things sorted once again :thumb:

Also, scraping your peg only counts if the bike returns to a vaguely upright position after the corner - otherwise it's just called binning it :P

I can give very good advice on what not to buy and how to repair Chinese or German bikes, I have extensive experience in those fields :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...