Module 1 - members test experiences

I think the problem was i killed the throttle instead of letting out the clutch. my training was severely lacking to say the least they said new rock boots would be ok they were not. they forgot to tell the instructor i had never driven geared before. after a hour of driving in circles and such we went on the road at which point i stalled repeatedly. felt like quitting next day first thing i had it from straight away then went on the road all day. my advice which may not be worth anything is anyone looking to do an intensive should buy or hire a 125 for a week to get used to roads and gears themselves then watch some youtube videos about the mod 1 practice slow speed control and get a mate with a big bike to help you practice and to drive it down the test center for you. i didnt get anything from the intesive other than £500 lighter. I know people that have never driven a bike taking a intensive and buying a bike and going straight out on the road. the road is not the place to learn to ride your new big bike

• 1 month later...

I had my module 1 test last month(March). Everything went on perfectly well and I got to say I got a friendly examiner not those hard faced ones and that helped me obviously.

I got three minors though. 2 for shoulder checks and one for not stopping In full conttol of the bike after the U Turn. The examiner confirmed that most candidates forget to do shoulder checks before the slow ride for some reason and expectedly I did tge same thing haha.

So if you are going for your test remember to do shoulder checks before you make any move and make a 'big' shoulder check before the U Turn then another one just before you make the actual turn. Otherwise keep calm and pass your Mod 1.

Hi folks,

Had my mod 1 today and after reading through the forum, realise how much it helped me on the day.

So it started with an hour and a half practice in the training compound of where I'm doing my DAS. Looked standard to what I've come to expect after researching the Mod 1 so much.

Everything was going pretty well...I'd say I found the hazard avoidance the most difficult to get right in the brain and took me 3 attempts to nail the sequence of getting up to speed, avoiding, lining up and then braking in the correct way...anyway, I went away from training feeling confident.

The bike I'm learning on has ABS so emergency stop is always going to be fine - I managed 51kph, 54kph and 52kph.

Anyway, off for an hour's rode down to Farnborough test centre and I saw how much MORE space there were between cones than this morning's training. (Great!).

As we arrived there was a young chap taking his test.

Unfortunately he failed because he stopped way before the cones on the hazard avoidance. Tough luck but that did look like a bit of a schoolboy error since the hard part was all done.

Back to me and my test...

First up expect to be nervous! I'm a pretty confident guy that handles well under pressure... and my examiner was a diamond but even still... nerves will get to you! - I seemed to have difficulty putting it on it's stand at the start. lol.

The nerves got a bit more heightened as I realised I didn't do a safety check before moving my bike manually...dohh! In my head that's one rider fault.

Next up - slalom and figure of 8. went ok but the figure of 8 seemed to go on forever whilst in my head I was thinking "all I have to do it get past this bit!". Probably the hardest part of the test for me because it's slow and at the beginning when nerves are still there.

Little bit of a high rev and wobble but managed to keep controlled. In my head, another rider fault.

Next - slow ride.

Bit of a wobble but managed to keep my cool and control. Clutch and rear brake control makes this one easy. Another rider fault for the wobble...

Next - U-turn.

Fine. Just look and don't cut yourself short. You have a good 4-5m of space, use it.

Next - controlled stop.

Piece of cake. Nothing else to say.

Next - emergency stop.

Yeah this was no problem...went through the speed trap at 52kph, nice and progressive on the front (I don't even think I used the rear and if I did it was almost nothing). Oops...no checking in mirrors - that's another rider fault.

(Man...that's 4 rider faults now that I've counted, this test isn't as easy as I thought it would be).

Next - hazard avoidance.

This was quite fun. You have loads of room to do the maneuver and even more than you would ever need to line up and stop so worry not - get loads of speed, move that bike loads with the hips and although this was tough at training, in practice it's pretty easy. No need to give yourself 'just enough room' - you'll have plenty.

So the test is over and I parked up the bike, went towards the test centre where the examiner said "don't worry, you've passed".

Phhheeeeewwwww.

Ok, so how many rider faults did he put me down for???

None! Clean sheet!

The moral of my story is that you will always over think things in your head and what is unacceptable to you, might just be normal.

Well happy with that, roll on Mod 2 next week and that's the one I was always confident of...

Well took the Mod 1 Sunday..... and man I balls'd up!!

Surprising how much the nerves kick in..... only positive from it i didnt get any minors just 1 major for putting my foot down!!

So it didnt start too well on the Saturday night, one of my neighbors had a party so i counldnt get to sleep till gone 2:30am and had to be on site for 7am. then to top it off the 2 alarms on my phone decided not to go off.... so at 640 rushing around trying to get kitted up and out the door.

So my major, typical i had never done this before. Started with the pushing the bike out the box, all ok till half way round and my glasses steam up.... visor was up but i think it was all the nervous heavy breathing! got through it and put the bike back on the stand. now this is were it all goes wrong. i enter the slalom too close to the second cone. from there im trying everything to pull it back full lock leaning but by the time i get to the figure of 8 its too late.... my foot goes down. Head in hands its over. I sit there for a few secs get my head together and decide to finish the rest of the test.

the rest of the test no problem. Speed all good and no minors the whole way through!

Looking back at it i think i had too much on my mind, with the late night and rush in the morning didnt help, but at the back of my mind i knew there was an open space on Tuesday & Thursday to do my MOD 2!

So time to re-book, hoping the sunday coming if not it will be a week Sunday, been advised by the training school that i dont need any further training and it was just one of them things!

So going to take this one as a warm up/training test. put it to the back of my mind and not to think about MOD 2 until i pass this one first!

Hi All,

Just passed my mod 1 at the second attempt,

I think the most difficult is emergency stop and swerve maneuver (I failed on emergency stop at the 1st attempt)

I read some advises before I went to the test center today and they were really helpful,

I would mainly point to:

1st - take the turn as wide as possible to get yourself a distance for acceleration (32mph) that was the key to success in my case, also don't be skirt of the speed and accelerating, I was practicing on my way to the test center by accelerating from 20 to 35 miles/h on each turn (obviously if it was possible), that helped me to fell the bike or to remind me how that's fell

Also try to do the turn at 19-20mph 2nd gear that would make life easier

2nd - on both maneuvers close you throttle off just after first two cons before these ones where measure device is, you don't have to accelerate there as it will not give you more mph, the crucial here is to have 32mph minimum at the first two cons and be on 3rd gear

Even if you stop accelerating the speed didn't drop much and you will have more time for reaction before the stop or swerve, that will also move the bike load from rear wheel to the front one

3rd - emergency stop i didn't use rear brake at all just only keept my foot on the brake, probably i still pressed it maybe 5%, but following 1st and 2nd the distance was quite short

More/less that's all

Seb

OK this is a copy and paste from my thread.. But as this is the members test experiences here it is :)

So, just home from my MOD1 in Taunton. Got to the test center early, and saw a fair few other bikers there doing tests I think some were doing their MOD2's. At the time of my MOD1 there were two of us, I went first.

Had a little chat in the office, checked through all the paper work, panic'd thinking I'd bought in my car theory test and not my motorbike one luckily I had the right one.

So to start I rode in to the parking bay, was shaking so the manual handling of the bike was 'interesting' but fine, I didn't drop it nor overbalance it. Then the slalom and figure of 8, I was told to do two figure of 8's, I did three, the first one was a bit wobbly, I was nervous about that! Then all was fine. Slow ride, easy peasy no issues there, nice and slow around 3-4mph stopped fine, I thought I'd stopped a little far back (or was that on the controlled stop). U turn, I was fine with, I do them all the time to get onto my drive, although I wasn't dead straight. Talking to myself the whole way through, mirror, mirror, shoulder, shoulder... Shoulder, turn.. Thought I'd hit the white line, but all clear.

Controlled stop was probably the easiest nice wide area to get comfortable going at a bit of speed, and casual ride down, although I did have 2 ducks/birds of some description trying to get in the way! Still all went well.. Emergency stop, I thought I'd been a bit late in stopping I didn't start as soon as his hand went up, no wobble on stopping and the left foot went down so nice and easy there. Swerve test, now all my practice was too the right (I did do some left circuits and each time I was under) today I was a bit under the first time I tried it, 45kph, second try dead on 50kph. Service to say, I passed with one minor! :D yay for me..

In traffic you use a lot of the skills you learn, for example no you don't do figure of 8 in the road but you may swap lanes and navigate between cars to filter. You treat it like a road because your expected to do all shoulder checks. And yes you do use throttle in corners to stabilise the bike, throttle off in a corner weight transfers to front which is bad slight throttle weight is balanced which is good. Lets day you go to a very big bike meet, you have to find somewhere to park, so you very slowly creep along and weave in and out of all the bikes. There are many scenarios where the skills are transferrable.

Don't get hung up on the ins and outs of the parts of the test they are relivent. Dabbling your foot down while still moving on a figure 8 isn't a fail but putting your foot down and stopping shows lack of control yes, you demonstrate controlled stops and putting your foot down at the end of every exersise where you stop and make the bike 'safe' (examiner will usually stand in front of you so bike needs to be out of gear.

You will get the hang of it but as said already you need practice, as scooter to motorcycle is much different, only mirrors are transferrable and front brake

Hya all, I'm doing a full DAS course, having no previous riding experience behind me but have been driving a car for 6 years.

Here's my Mod 1 journey so far...

First Attempt: Don't feel too nervous, in my mind I was very worried about the u-turn as this is what I most struggled with in lessons. I thought I had a 50/50 chance to pass or fail. Went in, was quite windy and was asked if I wanted to continue. I'm here now so might as well. Did all the slow maneuvers fine and did a good u-turn. Found myself relieved. Controlled stop was fine, then comes the E-stop. Not had any issues before with it, went through at 50km and pushed too much on the rear brake. Back wheel locked, skidded about a bit. Instant fail.

The retest was booked for almost 3 weeks later so booked an extra days lesson in at to practice at the test centre again where I worked on Estop over and over as well as all the other things to make sure I could do them right.

Second Attempt: A tiny bit more nervous than the first time but nothing major. Went in, did all the slow maneuvers well including the U-turn again. Kept thinking to myself to hardly even touch the back brake at all on Estop. Came round the bend, accelerated, started slowing down, stopped... Examiner stood where he was for a minute looking at me, the cones, his speed reading machine thing, his clipboard. Walked over to me and said, "I'm sorry but it's a fail" I was so sad and asked why. He said I hadn't stopped soon enough for the speed I was going - which was 49km. Didn't get another attempt or a chance at the swerve. Test 2 over.

Third Attempt: Sat in the waiting room, I was 2nd to go in after a young lad doing it for his A2 this time. I was very very nervous this time, I felt spaced out. My instructor kept looking at me and smiling to try and make me smile but I felt like I was in another world. My turn and I ride into the test area. Did the slow maneuvers, was a little slow and wobbly with a high rev on the slalom and figure of 8 this time. Rode around to the examiner when he signaled me over but I didn't realise he wanted me to go around a cone he was standing next to on the other side to the side I was riding at, so made a quick swerve around it missing it by about a cm! Stopped ready for the slow ride, did my observations, went to pull off and stalled! Sat for a few seconds and thought to myself omg Is that a fail!? Examiner came over and said, "don't worry, that's not a fail" Pheeeww. Big sigh of relief. Did slow ride and stopped ready for uturn. He explained it to me and then I sat for a min and I was shaking and so nervous. I said to him "I just need a minute, I'm really nervous" And he said to take my time theres no rush. Deep breaths, looked at what I needed to do, Obvs and started the uturn... Too slow, Too nervous, Foot down. Examiner comes over and says "Now that IS a fail". Gutted. He asked if I wanted to continue the test and I said yes. I proceeded to do everything else perfectly. Estop & Swerve were great and did them both at 52km.

Got Attempt Four booked and is coming up in a few days. I don't know what I'm going to be like. I know I can do it all, I just need to not make a mistake. Easier said than done :(

What exactly is it thats making you nervous about the U-turn. Im getting the impression you are trying to do it as a slow and steady manoeuvre but you need a bit of speed and to lean, this will keep you far more stable.

Do you have a bike to practice on? could help if find a quiet car park and practice doing U-turns within 2 bays.

Best of luck next time.

What exactly is it thats making you nervous about the U-turn....

I was nervous about it the first time I was going for Mod 1 but as I did it fine and again on 2nd attempt I wasn't initially worried about it the 3rd time. It was more the Estop that was bothering me as that is what I'd failed on twice beforehand. But as I was already shaken up with nerves when I got to it on the 3rd attempt I think it was just all too much and all what I usually do went out the window.

Thing is, on the few hours we had of riding around with the instructor beforehand, we went to an area so the younger lad could practice his uturns and as I sat and waited for him to get it right after a few goes the instructor said right lets go and I didn't get the chance to do it. This time round I'm going to speak up and make sure I get a chance to practice beforehand too.

I don't have a bike to practice on, I'm on my DAS with no prior motorcycle experience other than being pillion a lot. I have 6-7 years of road experience through driving my car so hopefully Mod 2 wont be too bad, but not going to worry about that till I get this darn Mod 1 passed. I know I can do it as I've managed to do the whole thing fine in practice and over the 3 attempts have done all the maneuvers fine, I just need to do them all right in a single attempt. I feel that it's easy to pass, yet easy to fail.

To me it seems ridiculous that the instructor would be focusing on one student. After all you are paying for them to help you.

I have no idea how confident you are with the bike, So I dont mean to cause offence but might it be more beneficial to just book some training, rather than training and your test. Just until you can do all the manoeuvres without worrying about them.

Oh and its worth introducing yourself in the newbies section too. Plenty people on this forum will give you good advice.

To me it seems ridiculous...

Thanks, I've just posted an little introduction there now :)

I agree with you, I was quite suprised about it too and he basically said to me that he knows I can do it already :? He's a nice enough guy but I think I need to speak my mind more and not be so shy. This time round when he asks if there's anything I want to particularly go over I'll say anything and everything possible please! Specially slow maneuvers & uturns to get back into the feel of the bike.

After I failed my first Mod 1 I had to wait near 3 weeks for my retest for booked an extra 4 hour day in between which included an hour in the test centre to practice again. That makes it a total of 4 days of training on the XJ6 + a few extra hours of training/riding around before & after each of my Mod 1 attempts. I'm not sure that having the extra training will help much as I know how to do all the maneuvers but I think it's now my nerves more than anything from failing time after time that's knocking my confidence.

Don't best yourself up about failing the of 1. If it takes 10 attempts, 20 attempts or even 100, you will be on 2 wheels have a grin on your face!

I failed a fare few times and was awful at the u turn and when I cracked that would mess up on somthing else!

Good luck and just keep at it!

UPDATE:

Hey again! Just a little update from me. I did my 4th Mod 1 retest today... and I passed it!!! Woohoo, what a relief :mrgreen: :cheers:

1 Minor for doing 48 on the avoidance.

Absolutely chuffed :D

Think I should have posted this here - Here goes..

So I passed MOD 1 today and I am pretty pleased to say the least. Though I thought I would :)

Just kidding, but I was confident in my maneuvers. Great weather and good ride up to the test center.

I'd like to briefly share my experience (few major things I learned today).

First of all, prevention is cheaper than the cure. Start your day off properly with a good nights sleep and no alcohol prior to 2 nights, you need the concentration. As well a good hearty breakfast with slow release carbs (energy and focus) with an early start will set you off nicely.

Dress for the occasion, read up on the weather forecast, they are pretty good these days. it's all about layers and being able to adjust your clothing to the weather right there and then. Sweaty and hot you are flustered, cold and wet you are not concentrating. Wear the correct clothing (base thermal layers are a good shout here).

I was advised to not watch any YOUTUBE videos of mod 1 as most of them are out of date. Just simply be attentive on training and keep thinking about training leading up to the test.

I arrived intentionally at my instructors house (yes not a center) 25 minutes early, little to his amusement and his breakfast cut short, this was a good time to get all the faffing about done (radio, clothing, bike) and out of the way so we are ready to set off at dot on the time I'm paying for (thus arriving at the test center early).

Your drive up is most likely also training for MOD 2, so keep your mind focused on just that, not MOD 1, you already have it deeply embedded in you, plus it's easy, so don't complicate and clutter up your mind with it, focus on MOD 2 at this stage (you could end up crashing day dreaming about maneuvers whilst not paying attention to the road).

During my ride over to the test center, I learned to VERY IMPORTANT lessons.

1. Always have your eyes/face protected when riding. A bee decided to commit suicide on my visor. This was no ordinary suicide, This thing was like a rocket, had the death occurred inside the helmet, i.e in my eyes or in my mouth I most certainly would have been joining the bee in Honey Heaven.

2. If the cat or the dog is no taller than your wheel axel/center, you can just run over it. Thankfully not a black cat, but a fiery ginger feline was feeling as depressed as the bee, and was wanting to take it's own life, being an inexperienced rider, I kind of just froze and decided to go straight on :shock: The moggy was about 2 feet from my front wheel before he escaped a certain death. My heart certainly went. Later on the instructor advised me after sharing the experience to simply drive over it if it isn't as big as your wheel axle, he knew a guy who sadly died after swerving a small dog and he ended up going into oncoming traffic, tragic! So it just isn't worth it. Life is life, animals choose their path as we do.

So test center: There was about 3 instructors and similar amount of students and one tester who was quite pally with the instructors. Made me relax even more and felt like one of the lads almost. These are not demonic souls, they are just like you and me, guys who enjoy getting out on the bikes and sharing experiences. I got the feeling that they wanted us to pass as much as we. Unlike cars, I don't think there are quotas to hit - from what I have read anyway.

Your instructor should take you around the course, and run through all the maneuvers once again, this is the time to sharpen up and LISTEN (no more MOD 2 or football scores).

All the time while listening, just picture your training, and envision yourself doing these maneuvers on the course within the next 15 minutes.

I asked my instructor what the MAIN things I should be focused on and making sure not to slip up on:

. ALWAYS make sure to look back / shoulder checks left then right before EVERY maneuver (I think you are allowed 3 misses before the tester makes a note for fail)

. On your U TURN, Make sure to do your second right shoulder check half way between setting off and making the turn (as well as your left and right shoulder checks)

Don't look at your speedometer during the emergency stop and swerve, you will end up hitting a cone (50% of the time), just make sure you are going fast enough, 32mph or 50kmh, no max speed, there's loads of room, so really let rip on the throttle.

Just some of the maneuvers:

Now, I think the biggest one most people dread is the emergency stop, during training I couldn't get it, kept skidding, was horrible, but then I was told to make sure the majority of the breaking is on the FRONT BREAK. I kept doing this and got it in the end. As a percentage, what works for me is 90% front break, 10% back break. Also remember, it's called an emergency stop, that doesn't mean you have to come to a HALT right on the spot, the laws of physics won't allow this. Haha, all about your front break as this is where all the weight gets shifted too, I went with the bike, and shifted my weight onto the front wheel as well, this also took weight off the back wheel. If you press that back break any more than 10%, like the bee you are going to skid to a dramatic fail. I think I stopped, from seeing the hand to clicking into neutral, I think I traveled about 10 to 15 meters (not 3 meters as I used to believe, he was happy by the looks of it)

Last thing is the speed, there's no max speed, and you only get TWO ATTEMPTS at your emergency stop and swerve, so that's pretty good of em, so use your first attempt as a reference, that saying less is more, well not in this case, open up!

My instructor gave me some sound advice, he said make sure you get up to speed, full throttle all the way to the speed trap, then, as soon as you pass through the speed trap, snap your throttle off (not literally) and then just swerve, something about that 'snap', like swing it back up in a snap and then focus on your move. I don't want to contradict what your instructors are advising you, so don't take my advise, just consider it :cheers:

He asked me to then go park up near some orange cones, thinking this was the end of the test, i thought it was a bit strange as I knew this was the last maneuver, and I was facing the course again, he come over and said something about not making it, heart sank, and then he went to to day about my speed was not satisfactory, OK I said, think like the bee, be the bee, and lo and behold I got through, later I found out that I reached 49kph!

He asked me to go park up in the car park after his instruction, I know your maneuvers have finished here, but still make sure to do all your safety checks (left and right). I was unsure about using signals to get out of the training course but figured I'd go for some golden browny points so usd them anyway (no harm is there).

I had a feeling I had passed but as is with the theory, there's always that moment you could have slipped up on. It was a slow walk into the examiners office with my instructor, I was just waiting for the 'passed' word and then finally got it.

I made sure to keep pally with my new pals, as he might just be my MOD 2 examiner. :3some:

Anyway there is my experience, apologies if it was a little long, a sense of humor was intended. Relax on this one, it's a piece of cake really is. Just do what you have been told to do.

It's like a stage play, learn your lines and you'll be fine.

Now for MOD 2 in one week!

Let's be avin ya!

• 2 weeks later...

passed my mod one three days ago on my third attempt.

1st try by myself 125cc scooter rushed into everything shoulder checks late if at all.

2nd try with a school who were rubbish told me I could learn it in 2 days and forgot I had never done gears. 1st day put me out on the road in the first hour and I stalled all the time hated it 2nd day rode it like I owned it went out and drove all day and only stalled once. 3rd day drive to test and the guy couldn't believe I rode so well. however I failed foot down leaving the figure 8 and the examiner said I would have passed otherwise.

was going to buy a vfr750 and practice on my dads yard however ended up buying a varadero 125cc to learn gears properly. what a bike its huge and I get nods from bikers a lot mainly because my front L goes unnoticed on my fork. I then noticed my theory was going to expire shortly as was my cbt so would have been another £175 so I booked my mod 1. due to the weather I bit the bullet and brought a £80 mesh jacket and closer fitting sunglasses. I had intended to practice round cones as really the slow riding is the hardest part but I ran out of time the day before. got to the test nearly missed the first box and nearly run over the guys foot but passed with one minor for getting 1mph under on the avoidance. you have to gun it like hell on a 125. Now I have booked mod 2 but have already moved it nearer and will try to move it to the next few days as I now know I have a delay before taking it again if I fail and Im running out of time and don't fancy retaking the theory.

I have had the varadero for about 3 weeks and gears now mean nothing to me. I have been riding for about 10 years with a lot of rush hour commuting. I have brought beepers for my indicators they stick or cable tie inside the fairing they are very annoying and get you cancelling indicators pretty quick they cost about £5 on fleabay and I would think would be a great investment for anyone taking the mod 2 on their own bike.

im a very confident rider but I will have to practice shoulder checks as its not something I do much as when driving in rush hour in central London a shoulder check means a tourist suddenly teleports in front of you at the same time. one thing I would say if going it alone is turn up dressed the part at least make a good effort to show you care. I have the boots a mesh or winter jacket and summer or winter gloves. that said I hate heat so if the day turns do you get minors for pulling over losing a layer and carrying on as I always try to ride at a good temperature as find riding too cold or hot causes distraction.

lastly I moved the part 2 to a different centre because the same guy did all 3 mod ones and he never smiles or is pleasant in any way just stares and tells you what to do. I found him really off putting and did not help with my nerves. I would rather a fresh face who has no opinions about me whatsoever.

In regards to max speed I swear down the guy before me came back and said to his instructor that he failed for doing 60mph but to be honest he looked annoyed enough without me asking him to clarify. even his instructor looked none to happy and seemed confused so im pretty sure it was no other reason otherwise he would have been talking him through it. not sitting there shaking his head

my personal opinion is I would say the slow driving and avoidance are the hardest bits.

just take your time with the shoulder checks and get into the gear you want to be in before you hit the curve

if your driving down and going straight into the curve without stopping then you are already halfway there speed wise.

I still think they should allow a device that beeps a headset when you hit the speed.

that or as I asked before a satnav that allows you to set the speed alert speed.

slow is the most difficult so loads of practice on that would be very helpful. some places rent 125cc geared bikes for a week

which might be an idea. the box to box move can be very easy if done as a 3 point turn

if in the left box as you wheel it backwards turn the steering left a bit till the bike is facing across the front of the box then stop. move your right hand from the grab rail to the right bar and push the bike forward and before you get inline with the second box turn the steering to the right and keep going till the bike is inline with the second box stop then move the right hand back to the rail and push it backwards into the space.

as complicated as this sounds I found it way easier than trying to turn it all in one move which if done wrong can lead to a sharp correction and losing control of the weight of the bike.

im installing indicator beepers for mod two and maybe a good satnav with speed alerts but if you pay attention to the examiners match his speed on mod 2

and seriously check reviews before you buy boots.

my frank Thomas alpha just leaked like a bucket with a hole so im happy

im changing them before the test if I get time or else the test will be hell

My Frank Thomas boots fell apart! I never got them wet, and only ride occasionally so they really haven't lasted well at all. I'm certainly never buying frank Thomas gear again.

Pay a bit extra and get the Alpine Star MX6 boots. Very comfy and good level of protection. Not claimed to be water proof though but I reckon they would hold up to gentle rain.