Module 2 - members test experiences

Mod 2 Fail!

My Experience - Poole 09:37 22.07.14

Examiner introduced himself to me and went through the paperwork before explaining the conduct of the test, he then made a comment about how he would be following ‘in his air conditioned car’ this put meon my guard due to the tone. I am aware it could have been a comment to joke but the tone didn’t suggest this!, when I then started the xj6 he told me to leave the test centre by the gate which was clearly marked NO EXIT at this point I was unsure if he was testing my ability to follow the signs or was trying to fail me by encouraging me to go out of the NO EXIT, I followed the signs to the Exit stopping at the stop sign before proceeding out the gate marked Exit. When I did this I was told off by the examiner over the radio and reminded to follow his instructions.

This really flustered me; I was following the road signs but got told off, which led to confusion. He then had to instruct me to turn around after I took the exit as instructed when he told me to turn left as I was passing a junction so took the following one. We made it out of the industrial estate and although I was looking forward to taking my Mod 2 now felt very stressed and tense as I felt he was looking to fail me, for the independent ride section of the test which he did almost as soon as we were out of the industrial estate he gave me blocks of three instructions over the radio, this was not what my instructor had led me to expect but I understand is another way of doing it, The instructions were not clear in relation to the road, and it was not an independent drive at all, there was no map or diagram that I could have looked at and I took a few wrong turns because of confusion over his instructions. Over the radio the examiner sounded exasperated with me and told me off for going the wrong way even though I thought I had followed his instructions.

The independent section of the test ended, the examiner took me through some tricky housing estates with double parked traffic and asked me to pull up as I was approaching a T junction my only option was to pull in on the left just past 3 parked cars taking me a lot closer to the T junction than I would ever pull in normally, I complied with the instruction due to his previous response feeling very uncomfortable with the position I was placed in as it didn’t feel safe, I was then informed that he would now be continuing with the next part of the test, and at this point I was sure I had failed as I had made several mistakes trying to follow the examiners instructions. :/

The test continued, and due to the examiners attitude and confusing instructions I felt I had no chance at all, eventually I was asked to take a slip road onto the dual carriageway, the dual carriageway was very busy with streams of traffic in both lanes, I positioned my bike behind the give way line pointing forwards in the direction of the flow of traffic, a driver slowed down considerably in the inside lane and indicated I should proceed, which I did, so I was failed on this point as the examiner couldn’t see the driver of the car indicate I should proceed, it was a grey are I choose White and he says it as Black, I can't dispute his decision as it has already been made, I do feel however, that if he could not have failed me on that point I would have been failed on something else. The test itself felt like it was engineered to fail me by the examiner, I am quite upset about how it was conducted and in retrospect I should have stopped the test before I left the centre and spoken to him!

I am retaking my module 2 on Tuesday the 5th of August and I am hoping for a different examiner who will not appear to make the decision before they have left the centre the one yesterday was covering for the normal examiner who was on holiday, I have 10 years experience driving my car on the roads with no accidents or incidents, I feel I am a safe driver and my instructors who have taught me from Let’s Ride through the DAS have all stated that with my driving all they have had to do is polish it for the test, my instructor who returned after my test had finished was shocked I had failed. The only incident marked on my report sheet was errors regarding this incident and it was recorded as 1 fault (serious)

Sorry to hear Karmin, when things don't start off well it does lead to that horrible downhill spiral sometimes.. but sometimes you think you've done rubbish and you actually pass. I hope you have the regular examiner for your next Mod 2!

I don't think they have to show you a map or written instruction for the independent ride, I'm sure they get a choice to use what they like. Both my independent rides started straight away at the test centre. I was given 3 directions - turn right out the test centre, turn right, turn left at the traffic lights and from there on I was just given instructions to "follow the signs to....".

What did confuse me the first time round was he said to me, "Follow the sign's for 'Station'." So I was riding along and the first sign I notice was this:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Station1_zps25843558.jpg

The word 'Station' with the symbol for it and an arrow pointing left. I see ahead a left hand turning so I assume that's where I'm probably going. Ride towards the turning, slowing a little and notice this:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Station2_zps8ebd5296.jpg

Another left arrow on the sign for the turning with 'Station' and the symbol for it on it... I didn't notice the 'Car Park' bit underneath. Slowed right down and indicator was on... then I get through the headset, "No, not into the car park!" Cancelled indicator and carried on. Didn't mark me down for that but told me I'd failed on another part of the independent ride for being in the wrong lane to turn left and apparently he had to hold the cars back behind me... I still to this day have no idea where and when that happened! lol

Passed 2nd time with a different instructor. Thought I actually did worse riding but only got a couple of minors for steering which was mostly down to the schools bike having a practically bald front tyre (which they didn't realise till I told them it wasn't handling right) making it slippy when turning!

I'm sure you'll ace it next time. Good luck!

Slightly demotivated Mod 2 fail!

Went yesterday for my Mod 2 at Hardwick, Cambs. Instructor from CamRiders took us two candidates there by way of a nice hour's drive, which was ideal prep for the test.

I went first. Show/tell questions went well, and test seemed to be unfolding perfectly. A little unsure of where "safe" was when instructor said "pull up on the left when safe to do so", but this was ok too. In fact, everything was ok except for a growing unease about speed. Under the tension of the test, I kept doubting what I had last seen by way of speed indication. Once doubt entered my head, the question then was what to do about it. The way I reasoned was : if I go over the speed limit, that's an automatic fail; but if I go a bit under it, then that is a rider fault, which keeps me in the game. I had not anticipated how stress will cause one to doubt so much : after 5 minutes of driving the narrow roads of Cambridgeshire at 60mph one starts to think "but that feels too fast" (even if the road is straight and clear) and I started hedging my bets. Bad plan.

Anyway, I knew that I'd lost track of limits somewhere along the test.

Examiner comes back and says that I had an almost clean test sheet (one rider fault for hesitation : stopping at empty roundabout) except I had 5 rider faults for going too slowly .... so a fail.

Gutted because really unnecessary. On the other hand, I guess it's easy to correct.

This is getting expensive though : at least Mod 1 passed first time.

Aww Sisyphus11, sorry to hear :( But yeas it's easily correctable so just be extra observant next time. It happened to me too as well, on my 1st attempt. Was going all around peterborough and I knew most of the areas were all 30's & 40's but I was going down a road and didn't know what the speed limit was so I went slowly through it not wanting to speed. There were no speed limit signs anywhere to be seen. End of the test he said I'd failed for going too slowly/not making progression (and also for being in the wrong lane for turning left - no idea when that happened). He said it made it seem as if I was scared of the speed limit (I wasn't, I just didn't know what it was lol)

Good Luck next time!

I really don't understand how it can be a negative for not reaching the speed limit, if it says 40 and your doing 34 says surely that cant be a negative as the speed limit is a maximum not a minimum or a suggested speed as long as your not doing 20 say in a 40 and holding up traffic cant see the problem myself.

in reference to the speed limit the examiner will not speed so if you keep an eye on him and the gap starts widening slow down. Had to resit my cbt last week waste of another £100 apparently it keeps my knowledge upto date yet full license holders don't do it? found out another downer again. if i pass my mod 2 on my 125 as i was intending i have to ride for 2 years on it or resit my theory to move to a bigger bike yet if i took bigger straight away i wouldn't?? it literally is driven by making money which is clear by having to resit cbt,s and theory's. im now in a massive catch 22. my theory expires 7 sept taking my mod 1 with it. i have booked a mod 2 for saturday but will have to retake 3 parts to move up or somehow magic enough cash quickly to get a 600cc and pass mod 1 & 2 before 7th of September. if i don't acquire a 600cc i will need to lay out another £400 minimum to take part 1 and 2 using a big bike from a school. oh fun fun fun

• 2 weeks later...

MOD 2 Passed!!

Well I took my mod 2 for the 2nd time today, the examiner was Ian at Poole who followed me on his bike.

He was lovely very clear over the radio and repeated the instructions as he went, drove all around the Poole and Wimbourne area over decent main roads.

Independant session was 'follow the signs to Wimbourne then follow the signs to Poole' which was as I expected I really enjoyed the ride.

Had 2 rider faults, 1 for going over the edge of a right hand corner and 1 for going at a junction when the examiner felt I should have waited, but the car coming didnt have to slow down and the gap was large enough, I wouldn't have taken the gap on my YBR but felt safe to do so on the XJ6.

I had a real headrush when he told me I had passed! So pleased and can't stop grinning, met my other half at Let's Ride and he brought my big bike so I had my first ride on it to work :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well mod 2 final attempt coming on Tuesday fun fun fun.

everything expires on the 7th so im left with the only option to try to finish it on my varadero

as their is no time to get mod 1 and 2 on a big bike.

If I pass I can carry my boy and get panniers and start doing Europe so that's a win

I can also sit behind my gf and try to teach her how to ride the varadero as im buying another and it

would be great if she can have my present one instead of having to sell it to get her a scooter

even if I get a pass I get to look forward to having to resit the whole lot again to ride a big bike

I think its awesome that next month I will have to resit my theory for no reason to do it all again

yay.

very well done to Karmin and all the new riders out there.

Stay safe and as I always say if your late be late never rush

Passed today (3rd time lucky)

1st test failed on nerves alone but was good experience.

2nd test was failed on a box junction I was turning right on, I went over the white line at the lights but stayed out of the box. Just sat there like a dummy flapping about what to do (do I go, do I stay here type thing) lights turned red and still sat there! Really annoyed with myself with that one :evil:

But today it all went well.

Lost the examiner twice as I was trying my best to find small but safe sized gaps for me to get in but not the examiner, I just used him like a satnav and tried my best not to think about how I was doing and just taking things in my stride throughout the test.

Rode back to the schools yard with no headset on and just couldn't believe how stress free the ride was!

Can't wait to get a real bike now and get rid of the step through bag of s**te thing I have now.

• 2 weeks later...

So had my Mod 2 yesterday.

After completing Mod 1 without a hitch I was pretty confident with this one.

Although I failed! No minors, the assessor who was in a car funnily enough had a history of dodgy decisions.

Anyway coming up to a junction I could either go in the left lane which branched off for my lane that went straight on or left or continue on in the lane I was in which went right, now the problem is the assessor didn't tell me which way to go so I panicked and stayed in the lane I was in which went right, half way down he tells me I'm in the wrong lane and even though I turned right safely and correctly he still failed me for going the wrong way!

Absolutely gutted.

Well had my mod 2 yesterday and after completing mod 1 without a hitch I was confident.

Anyways long story short I failed because I took a wrong turn so he failed me. Seemed to enjoy it as wel, I'm absolutely gutted, no minors either

Well had my mod 2 yesterday and after completing mod 1 without a hitch I was confident.

Anyways long story short I failed because I took a wrong turn so he failed me. Seemed to enjoy it as wel, I'm absolutely gutted, no minors either

I took a wrong turn and we had to go back a different way.

Passed me still

I just had a moment of stress and thought I couldn't turn left because of some reason I cant explain to this day :) so I went straight on.

I passed though and maybe if I had turned left I could have then made some mistake and failed.So maybe it was fate that made me lose my marbles for a few seconds.

The test is easy really but nerves can be the thing that let you down.

Anyone on here taken their MOD 2 in Hull? Have mine soon and not able to practice till day before as 650cc bike I'm learning on, don't know Hull that well either! Lol all tips and hints gratefully received? :D

Went for my MOD 2 yesterday, had a 2 hour lesson before with rain and wind, got to test center and as we got off the bikes we were nearly blown over by the wind! It was cancelled! Gutted have to hope for a cancellation as next booking not available till end of October! :(