Theory test passed, onward to DAS!

So I passed my motorbike theory first time! :D

Already got my CBT and now planned to my DAS hopefully around Feb/March or maybe April when the winter chill lays off a little.

I am thinking of using Passmasters, near Ruilsip in Middlesex, to do my DAS with. Does anyone have any experience with them? Previously I did my CBT with GetBike in Ealing who I liked but their prices are several hundred more than Passmasters. Also I know the roads in Ruislip much better and think that doing my DAS on them is the wiser choice. Ealing can be really busy at certain times of the day and I think it might make the test harder.

Also, any advice for moving up from a 125cc to the 600cc that they use for your DAS testing? I have no point of reference as I have only ridden a 125 lol. I am aware the bike will be heavier, handle differently etc but is there any advice that anyone would give when riding a bigger bike for the first time?

I know that's such a newbie question :oops:

You will just have to get used to the balance on a bigger bike really. Brakes will be better as mentioned and also you can't just dump the clutch on a bigger bike it needs slipping a lot further to pull away smooth

So I passed my motorbike theory first time! :D

Already got my CBT and now planned to my DAS hopefully around Feb/March or maybe April when the winter chill lays off a little.

I am thinking of using Passmasters, near Ruilsip in Middlesex, to do my DAS with. Does anyone have any experience with them? Previously I did my CBT with GetBike in Ealing who I liked but their prices are several hundred more than Passmasters. Also I know the roads in Ruislip much better and think that doing my DAS on them is the wiser choice. Ealing can be really busy at certain times of the day and I think it might make the test harder.

Also, any advice for moving up from a 125cc to the 600cc that they use for your DAS testing? I have no point of reference as I have only ridden a 125 lol. I am aware the bike will be heavier, handle differently etc but is there any advice that anyone would give when riding a bigger bike for the first time?

I know that's such a newbie question :oops:

The 600 bike will normaly feel easier to ride than the 125. For me that was anyway

Agree with above.

600 is more steady, Less knocking about with wind. Thicker tyres (usually). In my case a better riding position. Aswell as speed without having to go up all your gears =)

My advice would be to not move up to a 600, move up to a 400 instead...I wish I hadn't gone up to a 600, took me a long time to get to grips with how to ride it properly, my confidence was knocked when I first got it, which took months to get back, and I dropped it three times :oops: If there'd been all the 300-400s around that there is now, I'd have got one of those instead.

Accept you will drop the bike at some point so don't go for something too nice/new, it takes a while to get used to the weight and how to park and balancing at slow speed etc.

I'm female and short though, it's worse for us :cry:

Oh this is just the bikes they offer for the DAS. I'm not going to have the cash to buy until the summer.

They let you ride a 600 for the test. If you so it on anything lower then your licence is restricted.

I just done my das last month on a xj6. Loved the bike but wanted a sportier looking bike so I brought a 1999 r6. I was hesitant about it all being a fast bike and that. But now iv got I love it.

The bikes they use in the school will be heavier than your 125 but you wont really notice it. In my case anyway.

I only rode little 50 and 125s then went straight onto the xj6 then to the r6. The r6 is super light compared to the xj6 just feels like a toy.

As for the whole wow it's a 600 on the das I thought this and soon as I was on it I was like... why do I worry so much... You'll fall in love with the schools 600.

Think they are only around 70hp sp little pussy cats really

I just done my das last month on a xj6. Loved the bike but wanted a sportier looking bike so I brought a 1999 r6. I was hesitant about it all being a fast bike and that. But now iv got I love it.

The bikes they use in the school will be heavier than your 125 but you wont really notice it. In my case anyway.

I only rode little 50 and 125s then went straight onto the xj6 then to the r6. The r6 is super light compared to the xj6 just feels like a toy.

As for the whole wow it's a 600 on the das I thought this and soon as I was on it I was like... why do I worry so much... You'll fall in love with the schools 600.

Think they are only around 70hp sp little pussy cats really

Did mine on the same bike =) Though i got a heavier bike haha riding a bandit 600 half faired which weighs a lot but i don't mind to much cause im a big guy =)

• 3 weeks later...

Its mainly just the weight and brakes being sharper that's the main difference.

Unlike the old two strokes I used to ride you can give these 600's a bit of stick before they will take off and have you trailing behind like superman :)

Main and only thing is respect the bike. Dont listen to all the negative comments like you WILL drop it or you WILL flip yourself off the back ect. No just respect it, there is plentt of people ou there that have never dropped one of their bikes myself included and i went straight for a 600. You will do your test on a big bike and you will be used to them by the time you finish your course. Take it easy, listen to your instructor and dont run before you walk