How much could someone expect to pay altogether for lessons?

Hi guys, new here and about to start getting ready to get an A2 license, just wondering about a couple of things and would greatly appreciate any help.

I used to do motorcross, and owned a moped for 2 years. In private areas ive been on bikes more powerful than what i can legally ride on an a2 licence, so im confident i could ride whatever bike is used in training and the test.

How many hours roughly is it common to need in lessons for someone with some experience already? Ive seen videos on youtube of a2 license practice and dont see anything i wouldnt feel comfortable doing, its just remembering all of the specific stuff that the assessor wants to see.

I know certain (car) driving instructors will tell you you need more lessons, just to make more money out of you, and would like to avoid this as my budget is quite small (Not sure if this is common in motorcycle instructors but im sure theres some that do it.)

I only have one motorbike in mind, DRZ-400sm which ill need all the money i can save to get one along with lessons, theory, and practicals.

One final questions for anyone who has done theory recently, is Hazard perception just the same as the car one? I just did a practice run and passed for the multiple choice (got 49/50 on car theory) and passed my hazard perception with very high marks when i did my car theory 4 years ago.

Thanks for any help!

Hazard perception is pretty much the same, the questions are a little different in that they chuck in a few bike related ones.

I spent £450 on my DAS course + uhhhh £30 (or whatever the theory cost is again)

I'd never ridden before. For the £450 I got 3 days training (I'd estimate something like a total of 20hours actually riding) and test fees all covered. Passed my tests first time.

The fact you've got previous experience, just search around for an instructor and then if he thinks you are good to go he'll get you booked in.

Good luck mate.

Edit: Oh yeah, add your location to your profile and people might be able to point you in the right direction of a decent instructor. :)

Hazard perception is all CGI apparently now but not really any different by all accounts.

Get booked into a school for half days training and go from there. You'll need your CBT if you haven't got it already - that'll be a days training and around £125.

Hazard perception is pretty much the same, the questions are a little different in that they chuck in a few bike related ones.

I spent £450 on my DAS course + uhhhh £30 (or whatever the theory cost is again)

I'd never ridden before. For the £450 I got 3 days training (I'd estimate something like a total of 20hours actually riding) and test fees all covered. Passed my tests first time.

The fact you've got previous experience, just search around for an instructor and then if he thinks you are good to go he'll get you booked in.

Good luck mate.

Edit: Oh yeah, add your location to your profile and people might be able to point you in the right direction of a decent instructor. :)

Added, thanks.

£450 seems reasonable to me, in fact thats dirt cheap considering the amount of hours riding? i would be happy to end up paying that and have a license at the end of it. Would love to have it all done in 3 days as well lol so il look into a course.

Just checked the place i was planning on using, and here are the prices.

Mod 1 Training - Using Our bike £65.00 per 2hrs - then £20.00 per hr

Subsequent lessons - Using our bike £65.00 per 2hrs - then £20.00 per hr

Mod 1 and 2 Test Day - £85.00

Im not sure if Mod 1 and 2 test day is the price of using their bikes or if il actually be doing the test with them?

Thanks for your help mate

Hazard perception is all CGI apparently now but not really any different by all accounts.

Get booked into a school for half days training and go from there. You'll need your CBT if you haven't got it already - that'll be a days training and around £125.

Forgot that in the original post, CBT runs out October, really i want a bike before summer really starts but i definitely want to have done my A2 before the CBT runs out

My DAS was £500 for 3 day course including bike hire and test fees and any additional training if required although test fees would have been extra. They also did a 4 day for an extra £100.

I would think with previous experience 3 day would be all that's needed.

My DAS was £500 for 3 day course including bike hire and test fees and any additional training if required although test fees would have been extra. They also did a 4 day for an extra £100.

I would think with previous experience 3 day would be all that's needed.

Ive been looking around and that seems to be what a lot of people did.

Only thing is is with that you could easily end up paying for hours you dont need, like i think its a whole day for module 1 practice on some, which is way too much for me.

I think im going to give the lessons a go at my local school

£65 for the first 2 hrs then £20 after that, that way il be ready for my test in my own time, hopefully in fewer hours (will obviously take longer than a course but im happy to wait if it means saving a few quid)

If you have a whole day booked you should do some basic mod1 stuff and some road riding too (ie, mod2 stuff). Getting a full day initially wouldn't be wasted. I ended up going out on the DAS bike during my CBT so if your trainer is for flexible the time wouldn't be wasted IMHO.

My DAS cost £700 (Discounted down from £777!) for a full novice course which was CBT, 3x 4hour days training, Mod1 and mod 2.

It cost me double that in the end from retests and an extra day training. :oops:

Thanks for the replies again

Just booked my 1st lesson, he says its 2 hours, transferring to big bike and mod 1 practice, £65

From then on its £20 per hour, so i will book another 2 hours hopefully which will be tidying up mod 1 (if needed) and then out on the roads.

Really hope i have this all done by summer, starting to realise it may not be, 3 weeks was the soonest date i could book theory, hopefully mod 1 & 2 arent the same.

My DAS cost £700 (Discounted down from £777!) for a full novice course which was CBT, 3x 4hour days training, Mod1 and mod 2.

It cost me double that in the end from retests and an extra day training. :oops:

That sucks lol, if i ended up paying for all that id have a bike license and no money for a bike lol

Check on line for Theory Test cancellations and also look at other test centres that are not too far away. IIRC you can change/cancel your booking with 72 hours notice.

i was thinking of doing this to be honest, but this would mean telling my boss i could need a day off but im not sure when, instead of just having a set date

& it gives me time to mess around with these online mock tests and see if im going to actually need to buy a DVD

I just tried theory and hazard perception free on cam rider, passed both, but very close to not passing.

If i get that score up quickly then ill probably just ring for cancellations, but im pretty sure it needs to be done 2-3 times a day

Get the Motorcycle Theory Test +Hazard by Deep River Development Ltd App and pay the couple of quid. Covers 99.9% of the questions on the test. Very good app.

Thats actually the one i have been using, although the free version, was impressed to be honest and im about to purchase the full one

Thanks alot

That sucks lol, if i ended up paying for all that id have a bike license and no money for a bike lol

Yeah, that's exactly what happened, took me 3 months after that to save for my bike - only being in P/T work too I snatched all the overtime I could find.

I just tried theory and hazard perception free on cam rider

That's who I went with :)

Yeah, that's exactly what happened, took me 3 months after that to save for my bike - only being in P/T work too I snatched all the overtime I could find.

I just tried theory and hazard perception free on cam rider

That's who I went with :)

Yeah thats the thing i dont really get overtime with my job, and currently the work is slow so thats why im really trying to keep this all as cheap as possible, i dont want to end up in a position where i have licence etc complete and only just enough money for a bike, with my impatience id probably be stupid enough to buy it and have no money to live or run it for a month lol.

Just realised that camrider logo is also on this app im using, i had used the website before. just about scraped a pass on both but ive still got 2 and a bit weeks for revision.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my 1st lesson yesterday, transfer to big bikes and mod 1 practice. In the 2 hours i had completed all of the sections for a mod 1, although u turn could do with tidying up. I was on an un restricted Yamaha XJ6.

Now ive started to think i should have just gone on a course.

£65 for the 2 hour lesson i did, goes to £20 per hr from now on.

Hopefully 1 more hour practice on mod 1, maybe 2 hrs. - £20-£40

£85 for mod 1 test day, and £85 for mod 2 test day (this is bike hire, and the lesson which is on the way to the test centres, about an hour each way i think, although each journey is only really mod 2 practice)

£15 for mod 1 and £75 for mod 2 actual test fees.

£25 for theory.

Thats £370-£390, and only really 3 hours mod 2 practice. A couple more hours mod 2 = £430

If i end up paying that, i couldve just gone on a course for 3 days for £449 and had it all completed in 3 days lol

Posting this really so i can look back at it if i pass and work out what i actually spent, and see if id recommend courses over individual lessons