CBT and just everything bikeish

Guest chloeebeecham

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on a forum so not too sure how they work yet so please bare with me :)

I'm hopefully taking my CBT within the next couple months (after my AS exams this summer) and I was just wondering what I could do before so I have some idea of what's going on. I don't have a bike and I have never ridden. I also don't know anyone with a bike...

Any information or anything relevant that could help me get my head round everything would be great and really appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forum.

Get a copy of the highway code and memorise it.

Also see if you can find out about the controls on a bike and what they do.

Going into the CBT with as much theory as possible will make it lots easier.

I think the limiting factor to getting on the roads alone for the first year is funds, saving up as much money as possible would be a good place to start.

Things to consider saving for;

- Biking gear

- The bike itself

- Insurance

I'd personally advise buying a cheap run around, I took a liking to the lexmoto arrow / vixen as you can get it brand new out on the roads for under £1000, then all you've got left is the insurance payments and the gear.

Most importantly a CBT is not a test you cannot fail it, simply returning on another day for more practice if they don't feel safe enough to take you out on the roads on that day, some schools offer a "guaranteed pass" where by they'll bring you back on another day free of charge if you don't meet the standard, depends on how confident you are as to if you wish to pay the extra money, I managed it all in one day, depends how quick you pick up things.

Expect to be very confused and out of your zone as you go out on the roads for the first time, I returned from my ride wondering how I'd survived a then a giant smile as I realized I could finally leave public transport behind.

Most of all enjoy :thumb:

Welcome to TMBF mate........pop over to the Newbies section and say hi to the guys when you can........ 8-)

Yeah......get yourself some bike gear in readiness.......and, as Joeman says, get a copy of the Highway Code and study it to get an idea of the rules of the road........and maybe see if there's somewhere local that does the Get On taster session.......so you can see if it's really gonna be for you....... 8-)

First of all, concentrate on the AS exams as when they're over you can give your undivided attention to biking :)

A lot of new riders do the CBT and then get a bike, slap on L plates and pickup a lot of bad habits. I'd certainly be an advocate of getting the DSA learning to Ride book. It's a good introduction to biking and usefull in preperation for both CBT and furthur. Although you might not be planning on doing a theory test anytime soon, it would certainly be helpful to get a copy of the highway code as well as has already been said. Both are available on Amazon for not a lot of money.

If you do intend to buy some biking gear, I'd get a good fitting helmet with a good sharp rating and borrow clothing from the school doing the CBT. Decent ones will have stuff you can borrow.

Goodluck with the exams and then the biking.

Okay thanks guys :)

This may be a stupid question but is the highway code going to be the same for bikes as well as cars? Because I got a copy when I bought some theory and practical books for driving.

Yeah......the Highway Code covers all road users.....irrespective of their mode of transport........although, there are plenty on the road who feel it doesn't apply to them..... :wink:

Heya :)

As what others have said and definitely concentrate on exams first, but do consider making a start to the basics of gear - Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, and if possible boots and textile/leather trousers or kevlar jeans.

Most schools can provide you with the gear if you don't have any, but it's always nicer to have you're own that you will be more comfortable in, fit better and get used to.

If you are not 100% sure if it's something you really want to do, or even if you know you want to and want to try out being on a bike before your CBT, go to www.geton.co.uk and book a Free hours session with a local riding school.

This is what I did and I thought it was really great. They asked me if I'd ever ridden before, asked if I knew about the controls etc.. to try and understand how much I knew about a bike (I'd only been pillion quite a lot) and then I got taken out to the bike and just sat on it and learnt to move it very slowly by just using the clutch etc... and then soon after that was doing little loops around the training area and doing some practice on slow maneuvers.