CBT done...how long to feel comfortable on the bigger bikes.

Did my CBT about 5 weeks ago...doing a direct access now...had 4 hours on a 650...mainly on the pad...I am ok on the pad on the 650 but once out on the road what I have learnt goes south a wee bit.

Been driving cars/trucks for 40 years and never any motorbikes so its all new to me...just seems so much to take in and to be able forget that your not driving something on 4 wheels with just one set of brakes to contend with.

I am a very very confident driver no matter what I drive from a car to a 40 ton truck...but so nervous on the bike mainly due I think to me not being used to it and the lack of rearward vision...is this common and if so does it pass and how long...I know that will depend on the individual but just a ball park.

My age wont help I dont suppose 62.

Love to hear your experiences....especially if your an older trainee like me...I am thinking old dog new tricks...

Edited by nickjaxe

You've got two sets of brakes. Front ones and back ones. Some big fat scooters also have a parking brake too.

Do you have a full bike licence? You say you've done a CBT so how/why are you out on the road on a 650?

Alwite Nick. Different people take different periods to get comfy. You may only have half the brakes on a bike as a car but they are waaaay more powerful weight for weight.

Stick with it on the pan and build up the road time - there's no rush and no point if it's not fun! :-)

Yes but its getting used to using the 2 sets of brakes at different times and conditions that takes a bit of getting my head around...front for the main braking...rear for when slow and when stopped.

Steve...no only done the CBT to date...in the process of getting the full licence now hence why I am riding a 650 with an instructor.

I learnt when - ahem - more mature than most, in my late 40's. Getting used to the separate brakes takes a little time, just remember its mainly the front one, rear is more for traffic etc. Having passed my direct access to go straight onto the big bikes I had 2 hondas with linked brakes, very efficient at encouraging lazy and bad braking habits. The Yamaha that followed was a sharp reminder about how to ride a bike properly. 10 years on and I love riding. I'm in Cheshire too so when you've passed maybe we could meet up for a ride. Went to the Ponderosa for the first time last month, usually go with another mature rider and we don't push it, nice comfortable ride, no knee down nonsense, both of us on big tourers.

A bit of nervousness is only sensible when learning to ride, in fact keeping a bit (of nerves) is likely to extend your life once out on the road.

Yes but its getting used to using the 2 sets of brakes at different times and conditions that takes a bit of getting my head around...front for the main braking...rear for when slow and when stopped.

Steve...no only done the CBT to date...in the process of getting the full licence now hence why I am riding a 650 with an instructor.

Ah right. Have you considered taking a smaller class of full licence? I passed my test about 8 years ago at the age of 50 when things were different to how they are now. I took and passed my test on a 125 geared bike as I had no intention of getting anything larger - I was used to a 125 scooter and just wanted to ditch the 'L' plates, carry pillions (occasionally) and get cheaper insurance. That restricted me to certain size bikes for two years but after two years it allowed me to ride any size bike. I got a 300 cc scooter on that licence after about a year which I still have as my daily commuter. After two years I also got a 650 scooter and a couple of years after that I changed that for a 1300cc geared touring bike and have now done 4 European motorcycling trips. At the time I took my test there were others in the same school doing direct access on 600cc sized bikes. I remember thinking "Sod that! They look too big for me!" Nowdays, a 600cc bike would feel like a mini moto to me! Perhaps the way forward for you would be to consider passing on a smaller size bike or even a scooter, getting experience on one of them and then moving up in size as you gain confidence? You might be going too big, too quick.

Unfortunately I already have the bike I want to ride a 175cc BSA Bantam...not really interested in getting a powerful machine....I only like old classics.

I would love to take a test on a smaller motorbike but I dont think I can...can I ?????? be interested if I could.

So is there any way around this for me????

Unfortunately I already have the bike I want to ride a 175cc BSA Bantam...not really interested in getting a powerful machine....I only like old classics.

I would love to take a test on a smaller motorbike but I dont think I can...can I ?????? be interested if I could.

So is there any way around this for me????

You can do A2 restricted licence .

A2 Medium Motorcycle Test. This test must be taken on a minimum of a 395cc motorcycle with a power output of between 25 kW (33bhp) and 35 kW (47bhp). When you have passed the A2 licence you can ride any machine of any cc but it must produce no more than 35 kW or 47bhp, you can carry passengers and ride on motorways.

As above. You're effectively taking HGV class 1 lessons and test to enable you to ride a Model T Ford! You'd be much more comfortable on an A2 bike.

Did the school you are taking lessons with not advise you of that? It just seems like they think everyone wants to jump straight on a 1000cc monster!

Another possibility, unless you specifically want the actual bike you already have, is to get a 125cc Bantam and ride that on your CBT licence. You can always stick a 175cc Barrel kit on it at a later date to get that extra 3mph! :lol:

I did chat with the school about the smaller bike and was advice that all the test content is the same...so no harder on the 650cc machine...

At the moment I have no desirer to ride bigger bikes but you never know.

^ This!

I did my CBT in mid May and felt miles away from being ready to take my Mod 2.

I passed my Mod 2 last friday.

After my CBT I had a DAS assessment on a 125 for the 1st hr then a blast on the 600 and whilst I felt far from comfortable in terms of competency on the road they said I was struggling on the 125 and was ready for the bigger bike. So, next lesson I had an hour on the bigger bike (XJ6) on the roads then straight into a mock Mod1 test on it. I did ok but was struggling with the fig of 8. A couple of lessons later I was fine on everything apart from the fig.8 still. It was my nemesis. After my third lesson though it just clicked and every lesson from there-on in just got better and better and before I knew it I had my tests booked and passed through everything easily at the first time of asking.

Each lesson you should pick up a couple of very minor things. It'll seem like nothing at the time but as it all builds up together it all just clicks and before you realise you're well on the way to being test ready. Time, patience, dedication to learning is all it takes. Just stick with it. You'll be rewarded in the end.

Straight to DAS isn't for everyone.

Many ride a 125 for a while and when they have mastered that they do the course.I messed about on 125s for years before deciding to do my test.When you are comfortable with a 125 jumping on a 650 doesn't really feel that different.

Well unless you crack open the throttle and rev it high.But you wont be doing that on the course :)

What you will find having driven on four wheels for so long before getting on a bike is that all your concentration is on controlling the bike. Your forward planning will take a nose dive and you will miss things that you would normally spot when in your car/truck. You will just feel in/on the bike, if you know what I mean.

As you get more comfortable with the controls you will feel yourself move further away from the bike and eventually you'll be looking and planning as far ahead as you normally do.

As Tango has said, stick with it, it'll all fall into place.

It may take a little longer than if you were in your 30's

Makes a lot sense Deso...thanks.

Not had a lesson for over a week...looking forward to the next.

Got through my Theory this week I was over the moon about...so onwards and upwards.

Edited by nickjaxe

What you will find having driven on four wheels for so long before getting on a bike is that all your concentration is on controlling the bike. Your forward planning will take a nose dive and you will miss things that you would normally spot when in your car/truck. You will just feel in/on the bike, if you know what I mean.

As you get more comfortable with the controls you will feel yourself move further away from the bike and eventually you'll be looking and planning as far ahead as you normally do.

As Tango has said, stick with it, it'll all fall into place.

It may take a little longer than if you were in your 30's

That's exactly what I thought. Is interesting to hear experience of someone going into biking later in life, my dad is of a similar age and he had a 125 when he was 17 but nothing since. He's very anti bikes these days mainly because of other drivers not looking out for them but would be interesting to see how he would get on with one.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to feel better on the 650 now...had a good 2 hour road riding lesson yesterday...no probs getting upto 60mph this time...I had only felt comfortable upto 50 last week....still feeling un-comfy with the wind buffet ...the instructor was amazed at my progress.

So a big thanks for your encouragement guys.

Nick.

Edited by nickjaxe

Its bad enough at 60....god knows what it must be like at 100mph.

I couldn't possibly comment....... :wink:

I cant either!!!

even at 140 I dont feel the buffeting :up:

But you ride a 2-wheeled bus, Stu.........real men (with thick necks) ride naked bikes...... :wink: :lol: :lol: