CBT passed!

Woo! As title says, i passed my CBT!

Not bad for my first time actually riding a motorbike while being pulled out on twice by cars, having an ambulance flash its blues at me and have a wasp fly in lid on the road half of my CBT.

Instructor wants to put me straight on 500cc to do lessons, did anyone else do this?

Was thinking of a few more lessons on 125cc then onto 500cc?

I'm just looking for a little 125cc to play about on over winter, so if you guys no any cheap ones or any good websites let me know :D

Don't mind a bit of a project.

That's what i was worried about.

I was originally gonna get a little Yamaha 450cc to work on over winter, in time for when i get the first half of my license done and 'restrict' the horsepower on it until the full license has been completed or see if i can hold out until july when i hit 24 and just do the direct access but part of me just really wants to get out and get some experience, which i wouldn't mind doing on the 125cc providing i've not paid loads for it.

Well done. I did mine a year ago but have had very little time to practice so my mods are a long way off.

I have a Honda 125 which my husband loves (his current bike is a Bandit 650). He often finds excuses to take it for a little spin. So don't assume it will be boring once you've ridden a 500. But you'll need to do your test on at least a 500 if you're looking for a bit more power so it makes sense to do the lessons on one, and it's no harder than the 125 - easier in some ways because it feels more stable. I've had a couple of lessons on a 500 (sadly I'm not yet trusted to go on the road!) and they felt great.

Well done!

Nothing wrong with going straight on to a 500cc for lessons if your instructor thinks you are up for it. I done my CBT in March, got my 125cc in April and went back mid September and done around 2.5hrs on an SV650 before completing my Mod 1 (got one minor - 49kph instead of 50 on the avoidance) Not done Mod 2 yet cause I've been ill :-(

In some ways the bigger bikes are easier to ride, they tend to be more comfortable to sit on, they are more stable and you can move your arms and legs a bit more without feeling the effects of it. I initially found the hardest part of the practices was the manual handing part for Mod 1. The bike is just so much bigger and heavier than my own and since I am short was stumbling around a lot. Thankfully and finally managed to hold it in such a way that I didn't stumble on my test!

I'd definitely recommend getting a 125cc to practice with on your own over winter. But if you are paying an instructor for lessons, use the 500cc so you get used to the weight, power and physical size of it since it helps if you are comfortable on it to pass your test.

I enjoy riding the SV650 (even though I find the riding position a bit sore) and do look forward to my lessons and eventually owning a bigger bike as well. But...

I love getting back on wee MSX after the lessons on the SV650. The SV650 feels so much more "grown up and serious" where as my little bike is comical and so much fun. Some people are obsessed with power and speed, but I dare anyone to ride an MSX around town for a while and not come back grinning like a loony! Fun isn't all about speed and power, you can enjoy riding any bike you wish.

Well said, Arwen. Couldn't agree more. I enjoyed going out on the xj6 but also really enjoyed getting back on my Varadero to get home. Always went the long way …

+1 what Psychybikey said, a 125 can still be bags of fun even after riding a bigger bike. I continued to ride my old 125 after passing my tests and getting my big bike, and when the 125 had an accident earlier this year I replaced it with another in short order! There's something very fun about having such a lightweight bike that you have to absolutely wring every last drop of power out of.

congrats on cbt pass, what even you do get out there, weather you use for work or whatever, just have fun all the time, you know keep it sensible but have have fun. i love blasting my 125 its great. i only ever give it a good blast once a week, dont like hammering it too much everyday, its bad for the little engine. if you wanna go straight for a 500 or 600 by all means go for it, especially if the trainer guy thinks your capable right now. i would say lifes not long enough to hang around. get it done. but saying that, i failed my mod 2, i know i would do it now, im ready now. but its money and stuff thats the main problem for me. good luck out there :) have fun :)

Thanks guys!

Think my aim is to get a little 125cc and ride it until I'm 24 then just go in for my direct access.

Gives me time to get some road experience on my bike.

Going to view one tonight so hopefully will be out there soon!!

Thanks for the comments though guys. Really appreciate the feedback on riding bigger bikes then back onto 125cc.