Anyone know a cheaper way to do your mod 1?

Your paying for test fee, bike rental and instructors time. Unless you have your own bike and trailer it there without leason before (lesson for mod 1 is unnessisary imo before test if you dont know it you wont) and do your test without instructor then theres no other way

You can blame the EU for that.

A lot of new test centres had to be built to incorporate the Mod 1 testing area. The Government couldn't afford to build these in every town/city that already had test centres so they shut a lot down and built a centre that covers an area.

This cost was passed on to the public as the test fees went up.

Also waiting times for all tests, cars and bikes went up as they now had to accommodate more towns/city's

There are 3 Mod 1 test centres to choose from if you live in Grimsby. Lincoln, Scunthorpe or Hull.

If you don't know the area you're screwed, so would need a few lessons around which ever place you chose adding cost to the whole thing. I'm sure you can times this by a lot more places/areas like this.

The stupid thing is, you can take your Mod 2 in Grimsby as they have a test centre. It's a rented building on an industrial site!

Just the whole concept seems daft, if you're 17 you can ride on the road on a machine that does 60mph with no experience of the road and basically two hours training, provided you stick 2 pieces of paper to your bike for protection. If you want to do your full test, you can ride a small bike for practice - but you can't take your test on it, the bike you need to take your test on though, you're not allowed to practice on. So no practical choice but to fork out crap loads of money to do a test that shows you've got the skills needed to dick about in a car park and accelerate towards hazards. Not that I'm bitter about it or anything. Stupid cones.

There's 3 things you need to pass MOD1.

1) Good training/knowledge of exercises.

2) Good skillset/machine control.

3) A bit of luck on the day.

I did my DAS with a trainer who was confident in his methods he provided extra training for free if test failed. Of course the test fee wasn't included in that and we did spend one of our two days training just practicing for the exercises for the MOD1 itself.

Is there another school closer to the test centre you could use so the travel bit could be done on your own transport (car/125 or whatever) ? It might cut down the cost slightly ?

Just the whole concept seems daft, if you're 17 you can ride on the road on a machine that does 60mph with no experience of the road and basically two hours training, provided you stick 2 pieces of paper to your bike for protection. If you want to do your full test, you can ride a small bike for practice - but you can't take your test on it, the bike you need to take your test on though, you're not allowed to practice on. So no practical choice but to fork out crap loads of money to do a test that shows you've got the skills needed to dick about in a car park and accelerate towards hazards. Not that I'm bitter about it or anything. Stupid cones.

Another reason the accident rate our younger riders/CBT holders has gone up dramatically.

The way the system is now, people are just staying on a CBT and renewing every 2 years rather than go on to take a test, in which case you will receive the training required.

I have to agree with the OP some of the instructors take the Mic with the amount of training required before doing MOD1.

Being told that yo would need to do the same amount of training having had your CBT and 2000 miles under your belt as you needed when you had not ridden a motorbike in the UK does not in my mind add up...

This is why i reccomend highly the riding school i went with. I did the 1 hour assesment and they recommended a 3 1/2 day course. I did mod 1 and mod 2 training in that time and from first day of course to passing mod 2 was a week and half. They didnt bother with cbt as i had one years ago that expired so j was just given the cert so they could concentrate on whats important.

Finding a training school that isnt going to pull your pants down is the tough part but also everyone learns at different rates and some people may need a two week course in order to pass and that also means lots of monies.

The matter of how tricky it is to get a licence to me only does some good, the people who end up with a bike licence imo both want and deserve it rather than a driving test which is relativly easy and people do it for the crack and really shouldnt be on the road in a lot of cases.

Yep. Ever feel like when they were putting this process together they didn't really think it through?

No.

They want you to pay an instructor as they want you to access professional training in order that you have a slightly better chance of living longer. KSI rates are falling so their approach appears to be working.

Yep. Ever feel like when they were putting this process together they didn't really think it through?

No.

They want you to pay an instructor as they want you to access professional training in order that you have a slightly better chance of living longer. KSI rates are falling so their approach appears to be working.

Yeh i can see that logic. Feel like the mod 1 bit could be more accessible though.

It's an absolute farce. As someone who has been riding daily for three years, I've passed both the CBT and A2, that's essentially four tests including theory. I now have to repeat the last 2 tests when I turn 24 and will be doing it on exactly the same bike.

It's an absolute farce. As someone who has been riding daily for three years, I've passed both the CBT and A2, that's essentially four tests including theory. I now have to repeat the last 2 tests when I turn 24 and will be doing it on exactly the same bike.

You do know that you can take your A test before you're 24, if you've held an A2 license for 2 years? Passing the A2 when you're 19 could mean you could take the A test at 21...... :wink:

Anyway, why bother if you're gonna stick with the same bike?........you wouldn't be able to take the A test on your VFR400.....gotta be done on a bike of 595cc or bigger and min 40Kw....... :wink:

You do know that you can take your A test before you're 24, if you've held an A2 license for 2 years? Passing the A2 when you're 19 could mean you could take the A test at 21...... :wink:

Anyway, why bother if you're gonna stick with the same bike?........you wouldn't be able to take the A test on your VFR400.....gotta be done on a bike of 595cc or bigger and min 40Kw....... :wink:

Yep, unfortunately I had just turned 22 when I took my A2 meaning it's a 2 year wait regardless. It screws up people like me and discourages new riders. In my opinion after 2 years your licence should be "reviewed" and a decision made based on that. Same test, same roads, same bike, probably same instructor. It's essentially a refresher course so that people can take my money.

I didn't take the test on my VFR, I took it on the school's restricted XJ6. My turning circle would be a nightmare for the U turn!