DAS Course

I did my CBT last year after never ridden a motorbike but in my mind I only just scrapped though. My clutch control was appalling and I left with near zero confidence. I also did not find the bike comfortable as being 6'2" trying to squeeze on an old YBR with bent footpegs and gear lever meant I kept getting my foot stuck. Due to this I put off going any further to let the dust settle but unfortunately other personal circumstances have now meant I've had to delay getting a bike/licence.

Once my I'm in a position to start again I'm in 2 minds. Do I retake my CBT and ride on a 125 for a year then look at DAS or should I get it all over and done with a DAS course?

If I went with DAS I'd prefer to do it over consecutive weekends I.E every Saturday rather then all 4-5 days in 1 week. That way if I have a bad day I don't ruin a whole week. Would this be a good way to do it or does it leave too much time between lessons to potentially forget things?

Most of my initial riding would be in London and around Home Counties so slow speed control and eventually filtering will be need to become second nature. Thankfully all,my years cycling In London have (hopefully) prepared me for all the idiots on the road and my spider senses are pretty good. Only had 1 crash when I ran over a suicidal lemming/pedestrian

Look forward to any advice,abuse and MTFU :cheers:

It sounds like most of your issues were due to being given an awful bike to learn on. I think getting straight on your DAS would be best for you, the 500 or 600cc CBs and er6s type bikes schools have arent fast at all and compared to 125s are probably a bit more easier to control the clutch (a bit more torque helps when pulling away).

As for doing lessons every week for however long you need would definitely involve some skill fade so would probably be more expensive. I'm sure instructors would rather get you on an intensive course too as they always seem keen to up their first time pass stats where they can.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Word up Kneedown

Do you have a 125 now to wizz about on? If so then a week between lessons is fine as you can practise stuff between. If you don't that's fine but you'll have a bit at the beginning of the day just remembering how everything works and getting in to the swing of things.

The bigger bikes should feel more comfy for you. Most centres do a free assessment. It's a good way to go check out the bikes they have, meet the instructors etc.

I imagine they'll recommend either a 4 or 5 day course - you should be fine on a 4 (which gives you plenty of training time tI nail those tests first time!)

It sounds like you'd prefer to the DAS than carry on on a 125, but you're not sure how you'll take to it. If that's the case, then I'd say to go and do the DAS; it's the quickest way to riding a bigger bike, and it's specifically aimed at people who don't know how to ride. I reckon doing 1 day a week is a great way to do a DAS. I'd wish I'd done mine like that rather than the whole thing in a week; I found there was a lot to taken in and by the end of the week I was pretty tired and I wasn't learning as much as at the beginning. If you can find a place where you can meet the instructors and sit on a bike before you sign up like Hoggs said that would be fantastic. I was lucky with my instructor and we got on fine, but occasionally things don't go so well for people.

If I went with DAS I'd prefer to do it over consecutive weekends I.E every Saturday rather then all 4-5 days in 1 week. That way if I have a bad day I don't ruin a whole week. Would this be a good way to do it or does it leave too much time between lessons to potentially forget things?

My school didn't do intensive week long courses, so this is how I did my license, weekend lessons when it was convenient over a period of time, I felt like this was better because you take your test when you're ready rather than when your time runs out.

Personally think it's better to have a gap between lessons, the school would do 3 hour lessons, discouraging people from wasting their money doing a full day, because the second half was invariably worse than the morning. When i started out i did sat and sun, and they told me to just do one day, because having a gap helps it all sink in.

A lot of people came to the school having failed their test on an intensive course, and found their schools had taught them very little.

In terms of schools with crap bikes, shop around, any decent school should have modern bikes for das, although mine did wheel out the old CG's for cbt and had some nicer cbf125's for post cbt training etc

Mcia also accredit schools, which is supposedly more robust than the dsa's approach

I also did not find the bike comfortable as being 6'2" trying to squeeze on an old YBR with bent footpegs and gear lever meant I kept getting my foot stuck. Due to this I put off going any further to let the dust settle but unfortunately other personal circumstances have now meant I've had to delay getting a bike/licence.

Once my I'm in a position to start again I'm in 2 minds. Do I retake my CBT and ride on a 125 for a year then look at DAS or should I get it all over and done with a DAS course?

No need to repeat the 125 frustration again. I am sure you can learn 125 but you do not need to.

Big bikes are completely different riding, more stable, better brakes and more comfty. Anybody who can must go directly there. Go straight to DAS.

Yes this is a good way - make it for several weekends. Also make sure you book mod1 and mod2 tests with enough time between at least a week.

I cannot stress how important is to find good school with good bikes in order to avoid new disappointment.

If you are near home counties go do the training at Excelerate Motorcycle Training Centre Farnborough. The bikes they have will make your training much easier. Also they are a great bunch and success rate is fenomenal. And they can train you for mod1 on the actual test center area. Not on some parking lot as most London schools do. Beleive me training on the exact place where you will do the test makes a big difference.

Tell Nikos and Sofia hello from Valko :D

Cheers Guys

Seems I need to bite the bullet and do DAS.

I'd probably give Passmasters (Ruislip/Northolt) a try as they seem to get good reviews

Edited by Guest

Cheers Guys

Seems I need to bite the ballet

I'd stick with biking and give the dancing a miss. :wink:

Cheers Guys

Just go for it :thumb:

79a658f4caf508e24dd8bd3ebe4f3c0a.jpg

Cheers Guys