Mod 1 slow control problems

Somebody spoken to me like that, it would end in him appologising or money back. Or both!

Don't listen to ignorant idiots like that, learn at your own pace, and if he speaks up again , tell him you didn't ask for his opinion and that if he wants to keep talking to students like that he'll soon find he doesn't have any...

Hard to do but try and ignor him and listen to your own instructed. As for dropping a bike I am sure everyone on here has at some point. I know I have. You need to ask that guy if he has never dropped a bike .

Any way try to chill, in this heat, and concentrate on enjoying the rides. Slow riding has a knack and it's not easy when you first start.

There are two sorts of bikers. Those who have dropped a bike. And those that are going to.

Ignore the cretin and enjoy learning. Treat the test like a practise run, and just give it your best shot.

Being too nervous is bad, but a few nerves help to sharpen and focus your mind. I'd rather have some nervousness than none.

As I said best advise I can give you is to not go too slow.

Sent from my phone.

Today that horrible instructor was back. I was off with him so he said "I'm here to help, not tear you apart" and he did give me a good tip that helped on the faster stuff but also basically through his bad communication and interfering, made my instructor have to suddenly stop me which made me drop the bike and break the front break lever.

They got me riding realllllly wide fig 8s without cones to get me turning my head more (when I turn my head more than a little bit I feel like I'm going to drop the bike) and loads of slalom again and again and again without stopping, starting with the cones wide and gradually bringing them closer.

I was starting to get my speed about right for emergency stop. Slow on swerve atm. Didn't try u turn today.

My instructor says on Monday we'll do a long road ride dual carriageway up to 70 etc as he says I need to become one with the bike. But I'm concerned about this as I'm fine riding on the road, it's the mod 1 stuff I want as much practice with as poss.... Tho I don't turn fluidly atm and I don't lean the bike much, so I think he feels I need to sort this to progress with slalom etc tho I'm not so sure.

He thinks I have a mental block as soon as I enter the practice pad as I'm fine on the roads. I do feel a bit more confident each time I train but still got a long way to go and just over a day training left

A bit of a blast down a duel carriage way sounds like a good idea! You'll get to clear some cobwebs and it's weirdly calming!

You do need to turn your head more the bike will go where you look and you just need to shift your weight slightly to balance. Also a few more revs will stabilise the bike. Mod 1 is the hardest bit but you'll get there!!

I do look where I want to go on road riding, it's more I turn my head say 60 degree and I'm ok but turning it anymore to full neck lock and I feel unbalanced.

He hasn't mentioned anything about shifting weight tho .

Woke up today feeling anxious about the test and I'm not even training today!

I don't have a motorbike so gone out on push bike doing fig 8, u turn, slalom. Figure it's better than a visulation walk through and although obv different I'm imagining I'm on a motorbike and saying 'turn' out loud making me turning my head all the way around and looking at correct points of reference at the different stages trying to drill this into me. Hopefully it may help a little

I know it's hard but try and relax, you're probably tensing up, just take lots of deep breaths and keep your arms a little more relaxed. Just pretend it's a lifesaver just like when you're out on the road. When my instructor was teaching me the u turn we started off away from the line just in case you had a wobble with the lifesaver then after you'd done the lifesaver was when you brought the bike close to the white line.

As long as you keep the bike moving it won't fall over :thumb:

I did my mod 1 6 weeks ago and it's definitely the worst, like you I was waking up with nerves every day before my test just thinking about it, I watched lots of YouTube videos to get lots of tips etc.

Good luck, and once you've passes this one you'll actually look forward to mod 2 , because it's easier and it's the last hurdle!! Xx

I haven't started on the u turns yet lol. But I find fig 8 not as bad now so hopefully I will be ok on u turns

Yeah I'm basically ready for mod 2 now!

I am a very tense person tho, when I had drum lessons my tutor was always telling me to relax my arms even tho I felt relaxed lol

I haven't started on the u turns yet lol. But I find fig 8 not as bad now so hopefully I will be ok on u turns

Yeah I'm basically ready for mod 2 now!

I am a very tense person tho, when I had drum lessons my tutor was always telling me to relax my arms even tho I felt relaxed lol

A little push on the foot pegs can help with the fig 8, slalom and U turn.

Hi-hat LEFT Kickdrum RIGHT [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was so worried about my fig 8 because I kept putting my foot down and I couldnt get the hang of the u turn, was just too scared to turn the handlebars!! But where my instructors used to practice was a car park on a slight slope so the clutch control was a little harder and they made us do a tighter u turn than what you would get on the test. So when the instructor took us to the test centre to practice on the actual test pad I found it sooo easy and aced every maneuver each time, was much more relaxed about the test then. It will just click, trust me x

A little push on the foot pegs can help with the fig 8, slalom and U turn.

Hi-hat LEFT Kickdrum RIGHT [emoji41]

I thought it would be opposite on fig 8 & u turn

As if I'm turning tight left my body weight needs to be tiny bit right? Wouldn't pushing on the left leg put my weight left?

Stand feet apart, lift your right leg, where do you fall?

Oh ok my body swayed left but then fell back down right.

Just tried on my push bike against wall. Pushed right pedal and bike lent right but body pretty much stayed up right

So pushing the foot peg is a way of helping to lean the bike and help turn?

It will come in time, small soft movements.

Jerky sudden movements cause the imbalance

Yeah that's when I fell off on slalom, wasn't gonna make the turn so rather than skip the cone I turned too sharp.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Today we went riding about doing lots of roundabouts as these are my weakness, windy country lanes to sort my leaning a bit and dual carriage ways. Then to a quiet road for u turns, which I nailed and emergency stop which I skidded first two times but then did good.

Riding back I was a lot smoother on the roundabouts and leaned better on country lanes.

In car park once back I did slalom & fig 8s. Although I got a little wobbly and didn't feel totally great a few times, I did every one! Then we did mock test for the slow stuff and I did it all!

Today for the first time I feel like I can do it! Wasn't totally confident but as I said I actually did it all to test standard.

My test is quite soon but I won't say when to keep pressure off. Also out a guy my instructor trained dropped his bike on mod 1, and as he had a clean first pass record i now also feel less pressure there.

But thanks so much everyone for all the tips and encouragement as I'm def a better rider overall now!

Nice one. Just keep thinking positive thoughts and if you can do all the slow stuff in a car park or out on the road then it should be a breeze on the test pad :thumb:

Now you've got it sorted, keep thinking positive m, but don't overdo the practice now, once or twice to show you still have it but don't overdo it. Good luck!

Sent from my phone.

YAY congrats :cheers: Mod 2 is a lot less stressful as you get to go for a nice jolly :lol: remember lifesaver lifesaver lifesaver and make sure you clock any speed changes and we look forward to hearing about what bike you're gonna buy *coughninjacough* :mrgreen: