Any helpful tips and answers for a Yamaha R-125cc

Hi, you guys can call me SE-R125. I'm a new rider with no experience.

I am booking my CBT for next week and wanted to find out as much information as possible. I will be doing the automatic bike test but will be purchasing and riding a R-125. I just wanted to find out how to ride a gear bike, what I should know, the dos and donts and how quickly I can get used to the bike and riding. It will be mostly for travelling to work and uni, but I have no idea what I'm doing! I tried to ride a 200cc geared Honda not long ago but that didn't go to plan, the only experience I have is riding a push bike lol.

Please help! Any help and answers are helpful. Thanks!

HI,

Thanks for the reply, I've heard its easier to pass the cbt on a automatic bike, so I thought I could pass and learn after? I'm not sure though, I'm new to all this, but the bike would be very handy for me.

I see what you mean, don't want to be dishing out for parts lol, Could i do the lessons once I've passed the cbt? I've tried to find some instructors, but most charge around £90 per day I believe.

For my first attempt at the CBT I asked to do it on a geared bike, and they suggested an automatic given I had no prior experience (other that bicycle like you). But I insisted on the geared bike as that is what I intended to get. It did not go well, but that was more down to a complete clash of styles with the instructors, and that the other three in the group were on scooters. This meant all the attention was given to them and very little to me.

When I finally decided it was not my fault and to try again elsewhere, I was again told it would be better to do it on an automatic. So I did, then taught myself gears afterwards based on reading web pages and YouTube videos. And it almost went well, save for one small problem which was without a proper explanation of clutch control I stalled a few times going slowly around corners, which inevitably then meant falling over.

Luckily I was only learning to ride for myself, not to commute, so had the time to just go out early on weekend mornings until I knew what I was doing, so never had to worry about traffic when making those mistakes. Luckily after asking for advice on a forum an instructor kindly offered me a free lesson on clutch control which made all the difference.

For this reason I would not recommend dong the CBT on a geared bike in a group where everyone else is on an automatic. If there are at least two of you the you can be taught together, otherwise they have to alternate between you and so you only get half the time and attention.

And if someone had told me two things when teaching myself gears I probably would have been okay. Those two things being 1) to ignore the advice suggesting you can use the back brake for slow speed control on a geared bike, as you have to on an automatic, and 2) you just need to use the clutch for slow speed control in essentially the same was as you would with the back brake on an automatic.

It can be done to teach yourself gears as a a complete novice. But had I the opportunity to have done the CBT on a geared bike, with proper instruction on riding one, and with the proper amount of instruction attention, then my learning would have been safer and quicker.

You are effectively saying that the CBT would be difficult to complete on a geared bike, but that gears are something so easy that you can teach yourself them. That seems a slight contradiction. If you think learning gears would be difficult enough you will not complete the CBT on them, then for your own safety that is every reason why you should get proper instruction on them. But if you think they are something you can easily learn, then no reason not to do the CBT with them, save for the situation I mention of everyone else being on an automatic.

So my advice would be, make sure that when you book other people in the same group will be on a geared bike, and then do the CBT on a geared bike. If you do struggle, better to do it then with proper instruction on the safety of a training area than on a public road.

I did my cbt on auto and rode an auto for a year. Took me a week to learn a geared bike on my own after I had an hours lesson or so from the bike shop who sold me the 125.

I'd be inclined to say do the cbt on the geared bike.

This is what is wrong with the cbt

You do the car test in an auto you can only drive an auto.

Get practicing on geared bikes. 'Peaches' has been to the cbt on a geared bike, unfortunately didn't have success. She has been doing a bit of private practice and is now on top of things in no time.

I would also advise to do the cbt on a geared bike, the riding school i learnt with doesnt like to put anyone on automatic unless (a) they were 16 or (b) the learner really insisted. It's much better to have a professional giving you guidance and tips.

I also second that if you learn on an automatic then you should have to stick with an automatic.

With a good instructor you'll pick it up in our time :thumb:

I agree with the rest and say do it on a geared bike if you intend to ride geared bikes as it will give you a better chance of mastering it.

I did mine yesterday on a geared bike having never ridden before and although it takes some practice it is worth it. I wouldn't like to start from scratch teaching myself clutch control and gears without proper instruction as that's how bad habits are picked up and will hinder you doing the mod1 test as you have to relearn things the proper way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the above! I did my CBT on a geared bike the people I booked with went "you know it's going to be a bit harder" and I said yes but I have a geared bike to ride after it so they fully agreed it was the best thing to do. There was a guy there who then wanted to use the geared but because he hadn't booked it in advance he wasn't allowed to as there was limited space.

There was only me and one other guy doing it on gears and yeah it was frustrating watching the twist and gos zooming around whilst we practised stop start stop start stop start but when it clicked it was SO much easier to jump on the Intruder. I don't think I could have known where to start otherwise!

Also remember you can't fail a CBT as it isn't a test - if they don't think you have got the hang of it you'll be asked to go back and given more training. Their aim is to make you as safe as possible on the roads

From my limited experience so far i would recommend using a geared bike. I had zero experience on a bike before my CBT but I wouldn't fancy trying to learn the gears on my own, im sure it can be done but wasnt for me, had enough to think about first time i was out on my own. Also, if like me, you have a young lad whizzing about on a twist & go telling you how easy it all is then just ignore him and concentarte of what you are trying to achieve......

Also, if like me, you have a young lad whizzing about on a twist & go telling you how easy it all is then just ignore him and concentarte of what you are trying to achieve......

I had a similar experience myself and then out on the roads the youngster was totally different and lacking confidence as he'd never ridden on the roads before where I was more confident on the roads being a 20 year veteran in cars

Also, if like me, you have a young lad whizzing about on a twist & go telling you how easy it all is then just ignore him and concentarte of what you are trying to achieve......

I had a similar experience myself and then out on the roads the youngster was totally different and lacking confidence as he'd never ridden on the roads before where I was more confident on the roads being a 20 year veteran in cars

Same, this lad ran a red light. He wasn't so smug then after the bollocking from the instructor. I would have laughed but it was bloody dangerous so i was just glad he came through unscathed.

A bit off topic but it amazes me how a 16 yo can do a 1 day course and then be allowed out on the roads when if they wanted to drive a car they'd have to undertake hours of tuition under instruction on the roads and pass a driving test afterwards. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me

A bit off topic but it amazes me how a 16 yo can do a 1 day course and then be allowed out on the roads when if they wanted to drive a car they'd have to undertake hours of tuition under instruction on the roads and pass a driving test afterwards. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me

When I, and a few others on here started, you got your bike up to 250CC fitted "L" plates and away you went. :wink:

It's not a bikers fault either that they're allowed on the roads with so little training, it's obviously harder these days but not by much. I passed my driving test before the theory test was introduced but I still had hours of road tuition as I had no other way of getting on the roads as my parents wouldn't teach me or let me drive their car [emoji3]. It's obviously harder to supervise a rider and there are no dual controls [emoji12]

They are supposed to be limited to 28mph/50kmh, but i don't know how they regulate it. Or know/heard of anyone caught. Our apprentice claimed excitedly his would do 68mph. Despite being in trouble several times he was only ever moved on with a ticking off. I know my first 50 would do over 65 too.

When I, and a few others on here started, you got your bike up to 250CC fitted "L" plates and away you went. :wink:

Yep.....jump on the bike and off you go.....no training at all!! I must admit that I got my dad to pick my first bike up from the dealers and bring it home in his van......I then spent a few days around the local roads before I commuted into London on it..... :shock:

Thanks for all your replies and messages! I did my CBT yesterday on a geared bike and passed! I will be buying my bike in the next few days, thanks!

Fantastic :D And well done!

Thanks for all your replies and messages! I did my CBT yesterday on a geared bike and passed! I will be buying my bike in the next few days, thanks![/]

Well done. What are you going to get?