CBT - When can I ride?

Hi all,

I'm new to the Forum and well, two wheel motoring in general. I've had a quick look over and so decided to join. I'll be spending a lot of time browsing through all of the relevant posts over the next few days but in the mean time I'm hoping somebody could answer my question?

Having promised myself to book a date for my CBT over the past couple of years, but not getting round to it I've been offered a mates Piaggio Typhoon 125cc scooter to get myself to work on, which I'm also hopefully going to be using during my CBT. The question I have is that the local training centre is about a 5 minute walk away from where I am, and so on the morning of my CBT will be pushing my scooter there. Hopefully, all being well (!) I'll complete the CBT course on the same day and so wondering on the possibility of being able to ride home afterwards.

How soon does the CBT take to "kick in" after completing? Will I be able to ride straight away at the end of the day or is there some sort of waiting periood? I will obviously be arranging insurance to start on the CBT day if not the day before and I'll have all of the appropriate safety gear such as helmet, gloves, boots etc.

Thanks for your help :)

Liam

Out of interest, why do you want to do the CBT on your own bike? It just seems a needless risk for at best the saving of a few pounds and to avoid a five minute walk home. Even if you do not have any problems, someone else in the group might and your bike could end up being knocked over or hit.

Yeah using your own scooter for the CBT seems a bit of hassle, I'm never sure how the insurance works out for that stuff either as you will be riding it on the road prior to getting your CBT in the afternoon.

If it's only a five minute walk, I'd just jolly there use their bike (it's not going to be a million miles in difference from yours) then jolly back home have a cup of tea and then go out on yours.

Yeah using your own scooter for the CBT seems a bit of hassle, I'm never sure how the insurance works out for that stuff either as you will be riding it on the road prior to getting your CBT in the afternoon.

Pretty sure you won't be allowed to ride your own scooter as your insurance won't cover you until you have the CBT, and it's unlikely the training centre's insurance will cover you

Ah thanks Fizzy.

Yeah most of the people who take their own bike to do the CBT on are doing refresher course within 2 years so still insured and have a CBT :thumb:

Exactly that, although I did take my 50 to the training centre for my first CBT, but I have a moped licence. Ended up doing it on one of their YBRs anyway

It's possible the training centre's insurance would cover you on your own bike, but I personally doubt it, but there's nothing to stop you asking

You could wheel it down there, and ride home once insured/taxed but it's a 5 minute walk, so is it worth it?

Not only that, but I'd be surprised if the insurance would cover you until you have the CBT certificate (they asked me when mine was issued as they had no record of me having one on file), in which case you'd then need to wait for the insurance documents to come though, before popping to the Post Office to get the bike taxed, which is exactly what I did recently :thumb:

Pretty sure you won't be allowed to ride your own scooter as your insurance won't cover you until you have the CBT, and it's unlikely the training centre's insurance will cover you

You can get insurance to ride your own bike for the cbt you can even do it on your own bike for mod 1 and 2

Its the same as having car insurance before you pass in which you must be under instruction for the insurance to be valid

I believe but don't quote me that with the bike the instructor must have radio contact too which they do anyway

You can get insurance to ride your own bike for the cbt you can even do it on your own bike for mod 1 and 2

Many years ago, i insured and used my own bike to do the cbt, and rode home after

Many years ago, i insured and used my own bike to do the cbt, and rode home after

I have known of bike dealers that work together with instructors

The dealer will sort the insurance out on new bikes and deliver them to the training center for you to do the cbt on

I have known of bike dealers that work together with instructors

The dealer will sort the insurance out on new bikes and deliver them to the training center for you to do the cbt on

Them were the days i saved my paper rounds and bought a project with my dad. Not new