Honda CB750 F2N Engine Removal Help

Tango

Hi Guys.....has anyone ever removed the engine from a CB750 F2N?....I've got mine to a stage where it's half out of the frame.....but is pretty much wedged in place now. There is a bit on the sump casting that needs to clear the bottom frame loop....but as you can see from the pics I have no more vertical space left.....and the rear of the engine is hard against the frame engine mount. The only thing I can think of is to try to drop it back into place and remove the cam cover which may give me a few more mm's which would hopefully be enough to clear the sump and swing the engine across.

Any other ideas?

1538428472_EngineRemovalFront.thumb.jpg.7f147e0e88ca8425a5cfafd37961144c.jpg

Bottom right of pic you can see the bit on the sump that won't clear the frame.

1738385137_EngineRemovalTop.thumb.jpg.b1f1366a08395de5b9175ea31c2d0c95.jpg

Top of the engine....but maybe removing the cam cover may give me a few more mm's

1041600359_EngineRemovalRear.thumb.jpg.460a92e809a416f4f67511c14ebdd119.jpg

Rear of engine hard against the engine mount.

Cam cover removal should do it Bob. Do you have an angle grinder??? :mrgreen:

It was only my self control that stopped the angle grinder coming out Alan... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Ricky.....I used an entire days worth of that yesterday.....plus a kings ransom in the swear box.... :lol: :lol:

Will try to get cam cover off and give it another go.... :cheers:

Having done that very thing before - I can advise that the cam cover needs to come off first and they a slight 'tilt' is required to 'squeeze' the lump out of the frame.

I thought about (but did not try) heating the frame up to see if I could get the extra few mill out of the expansion to allow the lump to come out! :shock:

PS - I have an angle grinder you can borrow if needed! :mrgreen:

Not entirely sure how.....but the engine is out of the frame.....hoorah..... :wink: And it doesn't matter how long you leave the oil to drain....there's always that half litre that drops onto the driveway while you're wrestling with the bl**dy engine..... :roll:

The fun will be getting it back in after the frame has been powder coated.... :shock:

1703882408_Enginenearlyout.thumb.jpg.73ac30ae604565ab38dc3ae1ac2435fb.jpg

2025480262_Engineout.thumb.jpg.e2435eb52317faebc30089b89017c311.jpg

Nice one.

I was going to say that when they put the bike together in the factory, they wouldn't have removed the sump or rocker cover as the engine would likely arrive on the production line as a complete unit..