1999 fireblade earth from main loom: location?

Matt Strange

I have both the official Honda workshop manual & the Haynes version, neither specify where the loom ground point is! :(

Hoping that megawatt chap might know?

I suppose I can ask at Harpers of Cowley on my way home tomorrow...

Well you see... I've taken the main battery earth lead off to clean it when I first got the bike, there was definitely nothing else attached to it and it runs directly from the - terminal to the engine block by the starter motor.

The loom has to have a separate ground point somewhere, every circuit on the bike has a green coloured ground wire and they all appear to be be connected together via soldiered joints (afaik).

Here's a pic, main battery negative lead is no:7 on the drawing.

lead.jpg.a4fa28a1edeffc903a48a54f0c247a42.jpg

If there was a separate loom ground wire that ran back to the battery, surely it would have to be connected either at the same 2 points as the main earth lead i.e at either end, or directly to the wire itself in the form of a splice?.

Edited by Matt Strange

Could possibly be through your starter solenoid?

Without seeing it or a wiring diagram I am just guessing

Megawatt will know for sure seen as though he owns one

Ta for the suggestion but I can't see how it can be, the solenoid isn't connected to the frame (a rubber mount to the plastic under tray, item 9 in the above drawing) and it only has positive connections apart from the earth from the reg/rec which disappears back into the loom - where it goes, ??!! :lol:

It could be internal to the earth connection on the solenoid so you won't see it but I am just guessing

Yeah the usually are spliced in the the main earth wire at the battery end

It could be internal to the earth connection on the solenoid so you won't see it but I am just guessing

The solenoid is insulated via its rubber housing and it's mounted to the plastic under tray anyway, so it isn't earthed through the solenoid body. The earth wire just disappears back into the loom......

no what I mean is the earth may run in to the solenoid from the main look via the 4 thin wires from the loom and internally be connected to the main earth connection which you wont see

if you get what I mean

It,s near the radiator top bolt on the left hand side of the steering head. Good idea to add an extra earth direct from the battery to the reg/rec wiring socket. Saves on replacement reg/recs.