Snapped mirror stem - garage drop oops!

Pete

Those of you who have been looking at my other threads about the minor troubles I'm having getting my bike used to the road again (after a few years not riding so much!) will have read about the drop in the garage my Blackbird had yesterday. No major damage thankfully, but the mirror stem did break as it went down. I've tried to mend it with some epoxy resin but with no luck. Short of welding has anyone any other ideas for what I might be able to fix it with?

So far I've tried Unibond epoxy which was in no uncertain terms a waste of £5. After applying it and doing everything on the packet it just failed as I was bolting the mirror back onto the bike! I got some other stuff from B&Q, some no brand one. Lasted a bit longer but fell off whilst sat at traffic lights on a test ride in Wigan town centre at rush hour today!

If I do have to weld it does anyone know any welders in the north west who might be able to do it for a reasonable fee? I had to get the exhaust manifold welded back on to hold a stud a few years back and that was £60 so looking to keep under £20 really!

Thanks again team for the speedy responses.

Best image I have is this (doesn't show the break too well I'm afraid)

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/peteblakemore/ScreenShot2014-09-16at225719.png

It's right across where the hinge/bearing/joint is for where the mirror folds in. Would ideally like to maintain the fold back function of the mirror if at all possible! Any ideas on cost would be brilliant. I don't mind calling myself if you've got a name for anyone.

As for metal putty I couldn't find any at B&Q! Couldn't believe they didn't have it. If I have to send off I'd rather just not wait and go and get it welded I guess.

Cheers all.

After all my bike woes it's onto the timing belt change on my car. *sigh* (but secretly loving it).

If you bring me the parts that need welding together I'm sure next door will do it for very little or nothing :)

But like others said there's bound to be a lot more garages willing to do it for next to nothing a lot closer :)

Went to a local garage earlier and the fella said no chance for welding. The location of the break is right across the pivot point for the fold back mechanism and if it were welded the mechanism wouldn't fit back in. Or something.

Off to eBay I guess, these things aren't bloody cheap either! Trying araldite again while I try and find a reasonably priced part.

Has anyone ever tried 3D printing for anything like this? I can get it all glued up well enough to be scanned for a new part to be printed. Just don't know where to go or if that'll cost as much as a new part or more anyway.

Went to a local garage earlier and the fella said no chance for welding. The location of the break is right across the pivot point for the fold back mechanism and if it were welded the mechanism wouldn't fit back in. Or something.

Off to eBay I guess, these things aren't bloody cheap either! Trying araldite again while I try and find a reasonably priced part.

Has anyone ever tried 3D printing for anything like this? I can get it all glued up well enough to be scanned for a new part to be printed. Just don't know where to go or if that'll cost as much as a new part or more anyway.

If you can, drill a hole into both side of the break and stick a metal rod in there to help brace it up a bit.

Not sure if you have room though

I might try the small hole method (waheeey!) if it goes again and I have the space. I have tried JB Weld before and it's excellent stuff, but I can only find the one tube from the stuff I had! If the current stuff goes I'll get some more I reckon.

I'm watching a new mirror unit on eBay which isn't too bad a price at the moment so will continue to keep an eye on it!