Doing valve clearances?

Adam

I need to do my valve clearances as my bikes now at 17k miles so it's due around then, I have a basic idea of what to do but could someone please break it down into simple terms please?

Also should I do my cam chain at the same time?

thankssss

Having it written down would be easier mega then I can refer back to it. I have the manual on my phone I guess I should take a look! Also I need to ask you about making an exhaust flange but I'll pm you tomorrow with sizes etc.

I've had a look for the gasket and its either the one I've put the link to or the full set..

I get fed up typing instuctions on here Stu. Different bikes have different set ups. Best to buy a workshop manual and read it! If it's still clear as mud, I will talk people through it, with the aid of pix and drawings in the manual or the actual bike. Adam, I'll PM my moby number.

1. Leave bike to cool down overnight

2. Crack off the following covers to see the following.

Cam sprocket:

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o574/_Iain_/IMG_0671.jpg

And the two caps

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o574/_Iain_/IMG_0674.jpg

3. The lower, bigger hole is where you put a socket to turn the engine over manually, the smaller hole on the upper right is to line up the mark. Remembering Ricky's you will see the following marks inscribed on the edge of the timing ring: |--| |

When the arrow inside the small hole lines up with the third | mark seen above, check the cam sprocket.

If the weird arrow marked on the engine lines up with the lines on the sprocket, you're in business. If not, turn the engine round again (always turn clockwise) to the same mark and check. When they are lined up the engine is at TDC (top dead centre).

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o574/_Iain_/IMG_0678.jpg

4. Use feeler gauges all valves, it's only one cylinder so you can do all 4 at once.

If too loose, then crack off the lock nut and tighten the adjuster until you can only just get the feeler gauge of the right size in. If tight loosen it off. Once you tighten the lock nut check the gap again to make sure you didn't screw up :lol:

5. Before you reassemble, tighten it all up then turn the engine over by hand a few times and make sure the valves do as they should at the right time, after that, assemble it back together and give it a test fire. If the valves are quiet you did good, if they are stupidly loud you did it wrong and made the gaps massive by accident :lol:

And that is valve clearances on most Yamaha singles from the last 5-10 years.

Any questions? I have made it seem easier than it will be :lol:

Just a quick update I didn't get to do them Sunday as my feeler gauge didn't show up and I've been away so it's going to be sometime at the end of the week now, I'll keep you all posted.