Bike wont start

stephen9069

Hello all im not very technically gifted so ill try my best to explain.

I was riding my bike last week for a good few hours one day with no problems at all then garaged it when i got home the bike is constantly kept inside and sheltered.

Well on Saturday as i was getting ready to take the bike out it wouldnt start it would tick over but just wouldnt fire up then it died, i have had this problem before so i put it on charge for 24-48 hours which in the past worked no problem until now lol.

I hooked the battery up and turned on the ignition the oil light and neutral light came on as per usual but as i went to fire it up all i got was a loud buzzing noise from under the seat and sounds like its coming from the fuse box or within that area.

The bike i own is a Kawasaki 88 1500 Vulcan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty13MQ4 ... sAZuRFyAtw - not sure the exact model my apologies and please excuse the stupid face i was just finally happy it had arrived lol

I will also upload a video tomorrow to help

The noise is probably the starter solenoid!

The battery may have been on charge but are you sure it is actually charged?

The symptoms you describe are most likely to be a flat battery or bad connection

on the battery but could be lots of things.

Sounds like the battery is flat or knackered. I take it the 24-48 hrs was on a trickle charger and not just some ordinary car charger ?

The noise is almost certainly the solenoid and it's possible that's where the problem lies but given you've had to regularly charge the battery before being able to start the bike, you could have a problem with the alternator/rectifier/regulator if it turns out the battery is o.k.

I don't suppose you have a meter you can check the battery voltage with ?

Sounds like the battery is flat or knackered. I take it the 24-48 hrs was on a trickle charger and not just some ordinary car charger ?

The noise is almost certainly the solenoid and it's possible that's where the problem lies but given you've had to regularly charge the battery before being able to start the bike, you could have a problem with the alternator/rectifier/regulator if it turns out the battery is o.k.

I don't suppose you have a meter you can check the battery voltage with ?

Yeah it was a trickle charger i used. Unfortunately i dont have a meter to check the battery but ill look at trying to get one this week.

Only about £10 for a multimeter. Battery should read about 13.5 volts when fully charged and it should hold charge for weeks. If it doesn't , there is probably an earth on the system. Usually a lighting circuit.

Sounds like the starter relay buzzing.......could be loose terminals on battery.......try tightening the battery terminals.......other than that I think you'll need a.multimeter to check the battery voltage..... :wink:

You could try jumping it from a car battery.......just don't do it with the car engine running...... 8-)

Sounds like the starter relay buzzing.......could be loose terminals on battery.......try tightening the battery terminals.......other than that I think you'll need a.multimeter to check the battery voltage..... :wink:

You could try jumping it from a car battery.......just don't do it with the car engine running...... 8-)

Cheers mate will look into getting a multimeter and look at getting a new battery i will also check the terminals tomorrow.

If its the starter relay is that expensive to repair ?

Im hoping its the battery it doesnt last a week without needing charged

You can get 12 v reading on a knackered battery ,It's only when the load is put on it,it will it fail.If you manage to get it started take it to local tyre place such as ATS they will put a load test on it.(normally for free)

• 2 weeks later...

Iv been a bit busy this week trying to get back into training and also been busy with work but i finally managed to get round to getting a battery which in its self was a bit of a night mare lol.

Charged it up and hooked it up and here are the results, sorry its a bit dark but you can tell by the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfW-rQz ... sAZuRFyAtw

Result mate.......knew it was the battery...... :wink: :lol: :lol:

lol cheers mate it actually started up alot better than before aswell. Got to get Christmas out of the way now and get my test booked so i can get out on the road with it.