Dead Again

RantMachine

I refer of course to my bike, not the awesome 2007 Type O Negative Album :lol:

So in short, it's barfed a load of coolant into the oil. Obvious culprit would be the water pump seals, as this is a notorious problem for the F650 with owners experiencing it at varying mileage but ultimately always experiencing it sooner or later, unless they preempt it by replacing the dodgy seals with more reliable ones before they have a chance to fail. Of course I was of the impression that this had already happened to mine and been rectified before it came to me, but maybe someone just fixed it with glue, tape, and an ill-advised spot weld like several other parts of the bike :roll:

And of course if that isn't it, it could turn out to be the head gasket. So I'm thinking rip the damn thing apart and change both to be safe. And this is where I get to thinking... there are probably a whole load of other nasty gremlins waiting to come out of the woodwork. After all, in the nine months I've owned the bike there have only been three days on which there wasn't something wrong with it...

So then I have my choice. I could try to replace the head gasket and pump seals ASAP and get it back on the road, or I could spend that time sticking the bike that shall not be named back together and ride that as a winter hack while I go over the BMW with a fine toothed comb with an aim to have it back on the road when the weather improves. If I were a little more competant with working on my bike, it'd be a no-brainer - but as it is I'm a little concerned that I'd never manage to put the BMW back together again properly :lol: And of course it means riding the deathtrap for another winter.

What do you guys think?

If the pump is a common fault, and the seals can be changed, do that first as the head gaskets aren't a frequent fault on these bikes.

But change the oil, then check the oil for coolant after a few days.

Then rebuild the chinese slave and sell it to afford more parts for whatever comes next on this Beemer.

Like the last owner did, you mean? :roll:

Meant to be getting a moderate pay rise in January, if that actually happens (not holding my breath) that'll give me the extra money I need to get something more reliable on finance. The constant repairs keep me from saving for anything right now, and it's my only means of transport so my hands are tied.

Add up everything you've spent on it, assume it will do it again next year, and see how many months of finance on a shiney MT09 that would get...

Flog it to the dealer for £1000-£1500, haggle a bit, and you'll be sorted...

Some mental arithmetic.

New MT09 is £6799

Assume £1500 for the bike: £5299 left to pay

Haggle it to a square £5k

Give a deposit of £1000 and you'd pay £110 a month for 3 years.

Assuming you want to keep it stock, and don't go berserk on the mileage it won't need much servicing which you'll likely do yourself. (just keep hold of receipts for proof of servicing).

£110 a month... So about a fifth what you spend on the beemer weekly?

Like the last owner did, you mean? :roll:

Meant to be getting a moderate pay rise in January, if that actually happens (not holding my breath) that'll give me the extra money I need to get something more reliable on finance. The constant repairs keep me from saving for anything right now, and it's my only means of transport so my hands are tied.

What you would spend rebuilding that one would buy you something more reliable. My current ZZR cost less than 400 quid is 23 years old and has yet to let me down. GS beemers seem to be desirable/fashionable so command decent prices, a cheap one is going to be shagged. Just my opinion/what I'd do.... bodge current problem, sell it while it still has some value buy a cheap hack from the usual suspect list (cb500/ntv/zzr/er5/gpz/bandit) and run that till you get something new and shiny. Any of those bikes can be had for under a grand, go on forever and costs peanuts to run or repair. If it's your primary transport surely a reliable, tatty looking hack is better than a flashy thing that leaves you stranded.

A good mid 90's ZZR600 E ('95 on with the preload adjustable forks) can be had for under or around £1k. An earlier E (93-95 no adjustable front forks) even cheaper. A 600 D model £500 or less (but would probably be a bit of a "project"). I'd have thought unless your GS is really rough it should easily sell for a fair whack more than that.

Ooh, Triumph Leicester have a '97 with 29k on the clock, heated grips and centre stand fitted, for just under a grand. Seem to recall that pannier systems for the ZZR are hens teeth, though - will have to look into that again. And yes, it is a non-negotiable!

It looks decent (if the same one I just googled) I'd try and push them down a bit though by waving cash and pointing out it has gone down the road on it's right hand side. Racks and boxes are available for E models not sure on panniers, though universals would fit. I tend to strap stuff to the seat via the folding bungee hooks (secure enough to hold a papa johns XL pizza at triple figure speed for 12 miles) or pack out my enormous tank bag.

Great bikes I bought my 400 as a super cheap hack after I killed 2nd gear on my prior bike, expected to dislike it now I love it enough I have bought a frame and am building one from ground up!