Indicator issues

RicKsTa

Hi guys,

I replaced my indicators with some more "bulb" mini indicators. They are not led's. Im having an annoying problem where they indicators are flashing way too fast. I have disconnected one of the bulbs to see if it affects the resistance and makes it flash faster, but it doesn't... It stays flashing at the same speed. I suspect its an earth issue, but I cannot for the life of me resolve it.

So far I have tried:

- Swapping the 2 wires the other way around ensure it wasn't the wrong way around

- Tried different mini indicators with same 12v 21w bulbs

- Fitted flasher relay

- Tried with LED's & flasher relay

- Removed a bulb from the loop but still flashes at same speed

Its driving me mad! Im looking at putting it through its MOT soon but the flash rate with the relay still is over 120 flashes per minute :(

Any help is much appreciated!

Anyone know what the original wattage/voltage of the front/rear zx6r B1 indicators were. I can't find the originals now as I fitted the aftermarkets quite a long time ago but never got around to sorting the flashing issue!

That could explain the issue then! I have ordered a couple of resistors and new indicators now and will try fitting them before trying anything else. Will keep you updated. Once the issue is resolved its going for its MOT :cheers:

Fitted resistors to the indicators and still flash at the same speed. Im sure I have an earth issue, but can't for the life of me find where the indicators will be earthed. Does anyone know?

If the correct bulb wattage is 10W and you're running 21W bulbs, couldn't that be the problem? If you fitted the resistors in parallel with the indicators it would only compound the issue?

The -ve return for the indicators will likely go back through the loom to the battery.

simple answer here

go back to stick bulbs and see if the flash rate goes back

if so leave it alone!

if the OE ones are 10w and the new ones 21 then that will cause flash rates to change adding a resistor wont make a difference as your adding more resistance to the already higher resistance load you could cause a fire!!

Sorry forgot to add that I changed the indicators to 6w bulbs to see if it made a difference.. It didn't. I removed bulbs from the system and it flashes at the same speed as with the bulbs in. I can't go back to OE bulbs as I can't find the indicators since moving house Which is why I'm trying to resolve like this.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

Still have the above issue.. Im currently running 12v 10w indicators. Flash rate is excessive, way faster than 120 flashes per minute. Im starting to think its an earth fault.. could this cause indicators to flash too quickly? Im not sure where to start looking to find the ground.. Would it be screwed to the frame/engine casing?

Thanks in advance..

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found the issue.. it was a corroded connector, plus my alarm had a collapsed wire from rubbing against frame. Once I sorted these out it was fixed. I put it through an MOT today and now she is roadworthy again :cheers: