my bike sounds shocking

dazziep

As the title says ... My bike sounds shocking :(

The engine ticks really loudly and there is a rattling that sounds like it's coming from the clutch.

I took it to be looked at a few weeks ago and they did the tappets and told me that my bearing was on its way out .. I stupidly didn't ask which bearing but I assume it's the one in the clutch (as that's where the sound is coming from and that's what I'm having problems with), I don't really want to go back as it sounds worse now than it did before I took it.. I don't blame them at all they are really good and have a good reputation round here (that's why I took it), but I just feel a bit let down and want to sort it myself but I'm mo mechanic at all..

I wish I knew someone who lived near me who could help..

I know you guys on here are great and can tell me everything I need to do but I guess I'm scared of knackering it up and been bike less (especially how I rely on it to commute to work..)

If you just leave it though you really will be bike less...... :wink:

Get a Haynes manual and study it........and shout out on here if you get stuck.......unless someone local to you is willing to help out...... :wink:

Yeah got a Haynes manual and I'm dying to just have a go but just worried I might knacker my bike up :(

The other problem is the special tools you need like this socket that shaped like a castle turret and feeler gauges and impact wrenches and other things I won't realise I need to I get to a screw I can't get out without one :)

Don't really wanna start taking it to bits till I know I can get it to bits and can easily get hold of any parts that's faulty..

well you definitely need that castle socket thing and the impact driver will help with getting the screw's out of the centrifugal oil filter. that should have been cleaned out by now. make sure you order a new clutch side gasket and centrifugal gasket too.

:( I know I shouldn't have left it and carried on using it :(

Just went to get some petrol and got into 5th and it went all weird and stalled on me.. I couldn't get it started again :(

I tried pushing it to side of road.. nope.. Tried triple checking it was in neutral and push again. . Nope .. put clutch in tried pushing .. yep.. took clutch out as was a million percent sure I was in neutral.. yep tried starting again fired up straight away..

Set off, a bit down road did same again. .

I'm no mechanic but am I right in thinking that sounds like my clutch is buggered ?? (Stuck in gear, pushing knocked it back out)

If you stall in 5th it would be quite hard to get down the box without the engine running. Rock it slightly in each gear before changing down.

Have you checked the compression.

Worst case scenario you could buy an entire second hand engine for a few quid.

When I had a few issues with one, I got a 2004 engine, loom, cdi, clocks and switchgear for less than £200. Worked out cheaper than trial and error replacing stuff.

I'm gonna sound like a total noob now (as I am) but how do I check the compression ??

Hoping I don't need to buy a new engine :(

I wouldn't be lucky enough to drop on one cheap and even if I did I haven't got a spare 200 quid at mo.. :(

Just been speaking to a guy who first of all said I've no oil .. I said I'm sure I have .. I did have last time I checked the day before breaking down..

Then he asked about chain tension and I said it quite tight .. there is a little play but not much.. he said that could be it.. it won't help.. then showed me with his hands how much play and there is no where near that..

Trouble is last place I took it said it was too loose and took some links out and didn't give them to me, so now I guess I need to buy a new chain altogether? ?

Chain jumping off the front sprocket will 'jam' the bike. Moving backwards can pull the chain back on.

1. Is the chain tension correct?

2. Have you checked the condition of the front (and rear) sprockets?

:cheers:

Sorry mate just seen this that you also said tension :) looks like this is what it could be then ;) (hope so)

Just slackened the chain and took it for a spin.. broke down again.. checked the tension of the chain and it was really tight again? ?

I'm getting a bit out of my depth now.. I could do with finding someone who lives nearby who knows what they are doing. . I ain't taking back to where I took it before ..