LED indicators stay on, Don't flash

KTM21

Just installed some LED indicators on the bike and they just stay on. I am using the flasher relay that was included with the set that I bought. I had a similar problem with my old bike and I gave up in the end. What do I have to do to get them to flash?

Cheers

*EDIT*

Pulling the idiot bulb out lets the indicators flash but the led's stay on inbetween flashes, they're just dimmed.

Deja vue.

We have had a similar thread to this before. The issue is the current drain from what you call 'the idiot bulb'.

If this is NOT an LED, then you need to swap it out (for a LED of the correct type).

If it is an LED, then you need to increase the resistance of this circuit. Either by changing the LED to a higher restive one (lower brilliance at the same voltage) or add/increase the ballast resistor (in series with the LED).

:cheers:

Deja vue.

We have had a similar thread to this before. The issue is the current drain from what you call 'the idiot bulb'.

If this is NOT an LED, then you need to swap it out (for a LED of the correct type).

If it is an LED, then you need to increase the resistance of this circuit. Either by changing the LED to a higher restive one (lower brilliance at the same voltage) or add/increase the ballast resistor (in series with the LED).

Silly question Al: Why does the dash light have to be changed to LED - is it for preventing reverse current? If so, could a diode not be used in series instead?

Not a silly question Ian.

It is all about the amount of current being drawn. If the 'dash' light is a standard filament type, then the resistance is quite low (in order to gain the wattage required to make it 'show' brightly). V= I x R and W = V x I

With a diode (i.e. a LED), these are low current devices (and therefore high resistance).

You then need to consider the circuit. The front & rear indicators are efectively in parrallel with the 'dash' indicator and therefore if the 'dash' indicator is drawing the most current, then the front & rear will have less. This impacts on the way the flasher relay works in that it relies on he current drawn through it by the front & rear indicator to dictate the flash rate. For any other 'leccies' out there - this is a very 'dumbed down' description of the circuit.

And yes, you could cure it by adding resistance in series with the bulb but, by the time you get to an acceptable flash rate, the bulb may be too dim to see in daylight.

I got the led replacement today and tried it and it works but when the indicators flash, they stay lit in-between flashes dimly. Does this matter, will it fail and mot?

IMG_2117.thumb.JPG.b47bb6261c307658a33085a2dbdc6a4b.JPG

IMG_2116.thumb.JPG.8665a9328c1fdc51f7af8210f8760a7e.JPG

Looking at the photo's, it would appear that not all LEDs are on (when off) and that some are overbright when on.

They should all illuminate to the same level - It suggests that there is a circuit fault on the board - Strange that they are all like that.

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: