Yamaha FZ6 SA Fazer Clutch Problem

Carl_1973

Hi,

I have just changed the Clutch Cable on my FZ6 SA (2007). The job itself was relatively straight forward. Once I had set the cable tension correctly I started the bike up for a test ride.

1. The Clutch lever is excessively loose, IE it takes almost no effort to depress the lever to engage the clutch

2. The Clutch release mechanism on the lower right hand side of the engine seems to have full movement in and out.

When I put the bike in gear it jumps and stalls.

When I start the bike in gear with the clutch depressed it jumps also as the bike is in gear but seemingly the clutch is not engaged.

I hasten to add that by all accounts the clutch mechanism is seemingly engaged fully but not doing its job correctly.

I'm am relatively new to Bike mechanics but did use my faithful Haynes Manual to change the Clutch Cable. I would appreciate any suggestions that members have.

Thanks in advance

Carl

Hi and welcome to the forum

If your clutch worked before the cable change then its out of adjustment somewhere

Some systems are a twat to get right and if not right then you get the symptoms you describe or it slips!

Sounds like the slack on the push rod needs taking up

Can you get some pics of the mechanism for us

as stu said welcome to the forum setting up the cable start by winding the adjuster on the handlebars right into the lever then loosen the nuts down on the clutch actuator arm and take up the free play there untill u feel it start to get resistance then back it off 1/4 of a turn lock off the nuts check play at handlebar and fine adjust there as needed that is the basics of setting it up

Hi and welcome to the forum

If your clutch worked before the cable change then its out of adjustment somewhere

Some systems are a twat to get right and if not right then you get the symptoms you describe or it slips!

Sounds like the slack on the push rod needs taking up

Can you get some pics of the mechanism for us

I haven't taken off the clutch casing or anything. What pics would enable you to ascertain if it was "slack on the push rod". Would simple tightening the clutch cable enable this?

as stu said welcome to the forum setting up the cable start by winding the adjuster on the handlebars right into the lever then loosen the nuts down on the clutch actuator arm and take up the free play there untill u feel it start to get resistance then back it off 1/4 of a turn lock off the nuts check play at handlebar and fine adjust there as needed that is the basics of setting it up

My cable has a mid way adjuster which is under the air box and the one at the lever. For all intense and purposes the adjustment seems fine and fully pulls / releases the clutch actuator to its intended limit. To be honest I'm baffled, I even got my mate to manually use the clutch actuator and it still had the same problem.

I haven't taken off the clutch casing or anything. What pics would enable you to ascertain if it was "slack on the push rod". Would simple tightening the clutch cable enable this?

its the part that the clutch cable attaches to is what I'm more interested in

no adjusting the cable wont help if the mechanism need to be set in a specific way

some have a central adjuster which touches the push rod and if its not set right then it wont release the clutch properly or it can cause slippage :)

ps whats your location ?

its the part that the clutch cable attaches to is what I'm more interested in

no adjusting the cable wont help if the mechanism need to be set in a specific way

some have a central adjuster which touches the push rod and if its not set right then it wont release the clutch properly or it can cause slippage :)

ps whats your location ?

I'm located just outside of Nottingham....

How do I put a picture up? does it have to be hosted on a website and linked?

you can use the service provided here

just scroll down once you have hit reply and under the part where you write there is a section to add a picture

ensure its not too large otherwise it wont post :thumb:

its unusual to be able to move that actuator with your hand!

its pulling on 4 maybe 5 springs which makes it very hard work!

I'm wondering it the actuator has come off the push rod inside!

its a bit hard to know what is exactly going on while sat behind a pc!

shame your not closer!

its unusual to be able to move that actuator with your hand!

its pulling on 4 maybe 5 springs which makes it very hard work!

I'm wondering it the actuator has come off the push rod inside!

its a bit hard to know what is exactly going on while sat behind a pc!

shame your not closer!

I concur, its a difficult question to answer, I do like your thought though as the lever pull is very slack.

I thought it quite strange, but find it even stranger that simply removing the cable would cause it to come lose in the housing, it looks like I'll have to order a new gasket and then take the cover off to have a shufty.

I would also like to thank you taking the time to have a blast at solving my problem, why is it the little jobs end up being epic :shock:

you can normally get away without replacing the gasket

just ensure the bike is on its side stand and you have a catch tray underneath just in case any oil drops out

I do suspect that the mechanism has somehow come off if its really loose

I cant be too sure without looking at it myself!

Stu,

Bike fixed this morning. It was the Clutch Slave Lever.

After doing the fix from the YouTube video it became apparent the new Clutch Cable was too long (who'd have thought it). I put the old one back on and it works like a dream on minimal adjustment. I would imagine the old cable seemed at max adjustment due to the Slave Lever being mis-aligned but now its fixed the old cable has ample adjustment left.

Once again, thank you for your invaluable advice, its only easy if you know the answer.

Carl