WHAT'S THAT SOUND???

hornofplenty

Hi guys,

First day, first post. So hi to all. I'm hoping y'all can help me with a clutch/transmission issue on my Hornet 600. I originally thought it was a chain/sprocket issue but increasingly sure that the noise was coming from the engine I took front sprocket and chain off yesterday to run the engine and shaft to see if it made a noise itself. Please see link below for a vid of the countershaft running. If any of you have any idea what it may be, any advice ould be much much appreciated. Other than the sound making me go bonkers with trying to figure out what it is, I'm planning to do a tour of the south-east in a couple of weeks and of course only want to go if it's deemed safe enough to run the distance. Thanks in advance for any viewpoints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-UFKjoPiAE

hi and welcome to the forum

does the sound only happen when in gear?

or is it there whilst in neutral and revving?

is there any movement on the output shaft

it could be a shagged bearing

if it does it when in neutral but stops when the clutch is pulled then its clutch related and will need to be stripped to investigate

I didn't try revving it out in neutral, but it's definitely movement related. Revving in gear, ie. when output shaft is revolving at speed, it starts to make he noise once the engine is warm. The sound disappears when clutch lever is pulled in. I thought it must be the counter shaft bearing, though my local mechanic says it's very unlikely. There's no moving in the output shaft when I give it a tank and a wiggle. Sounds as if it comes from dead centre if the transmission, the sound is equally loud clutch and sprocket sides. If it was clutch, would it be pretty simple getting in there for a root around?

Welcome to TMBF mate..........pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself when you get chance ....... 8-)

I agree with Stu......sounds like the clutch........you may be able to pop the clutch cover off without having to drain the oil with the bike on the side stand. ...... :wink:

I would be checking out the clutch first as its the easiest and the cheapest

do as eastanglianbiker says though to try and locate the sound more accurately

sounds on video's never sound the same in real life!

to be honest clutch rattle is usually at idle

another option is to drop the oil in to a clean clear container and check for any metal shards that may come out due to a failed bearing

So, I've heard back from the mechanic and apparently the sound is coming from the cam chain and tensioner. They're not planning on replacing the cam chain and tensioner itself as they reckon it would come to £700 including labour. In my daze this morning I was over the moon, no bad bearing etc. But now thinking about it, I'm wondering if they've identified a different sound altogether (I'm abroad on work so am relying on email contact for diagnosis). Is it possible that the sound from a malfunctioning cam chain could sound as if it's coming from the transmission? I would've thought that sound would just be heard from the left side above the clutch housing.

This sounds to me like the dampening on the clutch is worrn,usually spings on a Honda and its allowing freeplay.

This isnt anything to worry about and the only fix is a replacement clutch basket.

To be clear I am not talking about the normal clutch springs but the springs on the back plate.

Worth checking before spending you hard earned :-)

This sounds to me like the dampening on the clutch is worrn,usually spings on a Honda and its allowing freeplay.

This isnt anything to worry about and the only fix is a replacement clutch basket.

To be clear I am not talking about the normal clutch springs but the springs on the back plate.

Worth checking before spending you hard earned :-)

It's also a common problem on the R1 too!

Never known it on a Honda though but stranger things have happened

Definitely worth checking out