Installing a new starter motor few questions.

morgi_92

I already tried to post this and its not come up so sorry if it has been double posted now.

my starter motor packed in the other day so i bought a new one and just wanted a bit of info on replacing it.

My main concern is aligning the starter gears as i read this is important but other than that not much information was given and im struggling on the internet to find anything useful.

So far i know just to disconnect my battery, then the starter and remove it. Other than that i was basically gonna wing the rest which i know isn't the best idea so was hoping for some help.

The bike is a generic trigger sm50, i know its a bad bike and i intend to get rid of it before christmas but i need it for work at the moment so the starter motor being cheap was a worth while investment.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers

Grant

as far as i know you are correct in disconnect battery then remove lead from starter motor then unbolt it and remove it with the new one it will notn locate fully unless the teeth on the cogs are meshing correctly normally so as you fit it into place you might need to twist is slightly untill it slots all the way in then just turn the body of starter motor slightly to line bolt holes up reconnect wire on starter and reconnect battery should be job done

:stupid:

If the fitting of the starter motor will not allow you to turn it slightly to get the gears aligned, then simply take it back off and move the end shaft a tiny bit and try again. It won't take more than a couple of 'tweaks' to get it right.

:cheers: