Suzuki 750 rebuild

djrose007

I'm going to look at a dilapated Suzuki 750 this weekend with a view to stripping and rebuilding it. I don't have any details such as specific model, age etc.

I'm living in Gloucester and wondered if anyone knows of a good source of spare parts, I know I'm going to need a fair bit of stuff including Exhaust, Lights, probably a new tank etc. Won't know until I get it into my garage of course.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

for service parts try wemoto..

http://shop.wemoto.com/

otherwise

http://www.cmsnl.com to get diagrams and part numbers, you can buy from them (Holland so Euros, but had good experience) or use details to get locally..

also search google for a Suzuki (Model) owners club, for that model, loads of useful experience there..

and ebay/breakers for large bodywork items..

Thanks Walney or is it Frankie. I'm going to look at it this weekend but from what the bloke said on the phone it sounds like it's rotting away at the moment. Another one in Tewkesbury that doesn't sound so much of a challenge that might be a better one to start with. Whichever one I get I guess the first stop is to get a workshop manual if I can.

No doubt I'll be posting again when I get stuck!

Cheers

David

Thanks Walney or is it Frankie. I'm going to look at it this weekend but from what the bloke said on the phone it sounds like it's rotting away at the moment. Another one in Tewkesbury that doesn't sound so much of a challenge that might be a better one to start with. Whichever one I get I guess the first stop is to get a workshop manual if I can.

No doubt I'll be posting again when I get stuck!

Cheers

David

walney's my location, frankie's my handle, Simon's what my mum calls me..

feel free to give me a shout when you get the bike, and post some pics, will help if i can...

feel free to give me a shout when you get the bike, and post some pics, will help if i can...

Hi Frankie, here's the first pictures. Just been to see it and now need to arrange for pick up with my Brother-in-Law's van, handy bloke to have around as I doubt I'd get it into the back of my MX-5 boot!

You can see the exhausts in the background against the fence. they are totally rotted through with rust at the front end, there's no seat or fairing or headlight but the guy I'm buying it off tells me the engine is good.

I'm going to have to spend a fair bit but I hope I can do a good job of it.

Oh, and by the way, you can probably tell what it is but it's a Suzuki GSX750F. I think it's an F reg so that would make it about 1988/89

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/djrose007/Suzuki%20GSX750F%20Rebuild/IMG_0490.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/djrose007/Suzuki%20GSX750F%20Rebuild/IMG_0492.jpg

SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS AND I'LL BURN YOU A CD OF THE HAYNES MANUAL,

#

Any probs give me a shout, we have a lot of common parts on mine and your bike

Theres plenty of parts available for that engine should you need some, its based on the early gsxr750 engine, and Suzukis are good for interchangeability. Plenty of secondhand running gear available too, either on ebay or try oldsckoolsuzuki, for info and parts.

Thanks kja.busa, I'll bear that in mind and bookmarked the topic as well as the forum. I've been told the engine itself is good but I'm going to strip it down anyway as I want to spray the frame in an 'old gold' type yellow

It might very well take me a couple of years to do this but I'm looking forward to it. And it's good to know there's a lot of support available on the forum.

Cheers

Dave

If your going to tinker with it, its well worth stripping the head and grinding the valves into the seats. They aren't done that well at the factory, and a couple of hours lapping with grinding paste pays dividends, new valve stem oil seals too as its been stood a while is also a good investement. The frame will be better powder coated, as its so durable and easy to keep clean. Shouldn't cost the earth either. If you get stuck or need any advice just pm me.

Well, got it back home, thanks to my Brother-in-law and his van. Having a closer look it's pretty bad but the guy I got it from assures me the engine is good.

I've got the battery off and on charge, don't know if it's ok, the acid levels were quite low but topped up with distilled water only and put on charge. I expect I'll have to get a new one.

Posted photos at http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/ss16 ... 20Rebuild/

Thing that worries me the most, at the moment, is the front end of the exhausts. I haven't looked at where the manifold is yet but you can see what they are like in the photos.

Cheers for now.

Dave

Theres potential Dave, but then there always is, depends how intent you are to complete it. Bin the exhausts, forget them. A tidy secondhand 4:1 will be a good investment, ebay is your friend. Bin the brake lines too, check the tyres too and the drive chain for tight spots. Strip the calipers off and give them a once over. The forklegs bottoms will paint, or powdercoat. Fresh fork oil is a good investment too. Strip the rear suspension linkage and grease the bearings. The tank can be salvaged even if it is a bit rough inside unless you find a good cheap secondhand one. The carbs may have some manky petrol in them and may need a clean out. Be wary of using old batteries on Suzuki's they play havoc with the generator/reg-rectifier, which could cost you a few quid too on top of everything else. You going to be busy for a while!!

:stupid:

Dave.

i've had a look at your pics, thats some project..

the seat needs replacing and as the rear subframe has been cut (it looks like someone fancied a fighter), i would look at a new tail..

if you can weld, or get someone to extend the sides of the tank to meet the frame and a single headlight you should be on your way..

and get a new set of pipes they're shot..

made some comments on photobucket...

Took some more photos with the seat removed. The intended 'Fighter' modification is more obvious.

The tail pipes and pillion foot rests are in a box of bits that the guy gave me, which includes a huge chrome headlight by the way. Might be able to get them welded back on.

I'll keep this up to date as I proceed but don't hold your breath!!!!!

More pics posted at http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/ss16 ... =005-1.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/djrose007/Suzuki%20GSX750F%20Rebuild/005-1.jpg

Thanks Frankie, I hadn't thought that far ahead but I thought they looked dodgy. I do have the rear sections that were cut off so thinking that I will strip it down to the frame and get them welded back on.

They were cut off cleanly at the top but bit of a 'brute strength and ignorance' job at the bottom end. I'll have to see what's possible but I'd like to take it back to original as possible, maybe without the fairing and stick the big light on the front.

I'll take some more photo's tomorrow of the bits and pieces that are in the box.

I've looked on the internet for 'Street Fighters' as I didn't really know what it meant. I've got a better idea now and if the above does not work I'll carry on with a single seat fighter bike. Not sure what the insurance implications might be in the future.

Cheers for the ongoing advice, I can't have too much of that.

Thanks Frankie, I hadn't thought that far ahead but I thought they looked dodgy. I do have the rear sections that were cut off so thinking that I will strip it down to the frame and get them welded back on.

They were cut off cleanly at the top but bit of a 'brute strength and ignorance' job at the bottom end. I'll have to see what's possible but I'd like to take it back to original as possible, maybe without the fairing and stick the big light on the front.

I'll take some more photo's tomorrow of the bits and pieces that are in the box.

I've looked on the internet for 'Street Fighters' as I didn't really know what it meant. I've got a better idea now and if the above does not work I'll carry on with a single seat fighter bike. Not sure what the insurance implications might be in the future.

Cheers for the ongoing advice, I can't have too much of that.

take the rear subframe with you to B&Q, and go down the hardware aisle, they now do sheet metal and tubes, box section etc, I would get a piece that will form an inner sleeve, so that when you weld it on it has internal strength..

you may want to keep an eye on this too..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-GSXF-600-7 ... 7C294%3A50

You could go the whole hog and remove the rest of the standard subframe, then choose a suitable alternative. Many bikes have a bolt on subframe, all you would have to do is get your subframe of chose and fabricate/weld some suitable brackets to the frame. Then you just need the plastics/seats etc and you've something different. Any Fireblade/GSXR/later R1, the list is endless. Just a suggestion, but might give you an idea or two.

Still Digging !

Took the tank off today, rattling like a pair of those old shakey things that Edmundo Ross used to use in his calypso music! The rust is obviously horrendous and doubt if it is possible to do anything with it. I've stuck it in a box for the metal recyling bin. I'll have a look and see if if it is possible to re-use the connectors underneath for the fuel and vacuum hose, breather pipe etc....

Any suggestion about how the tank can be recovered, or if it is possible? it looks pretty bad.

By the way, some new photo's posted with the tank off. Looks like some of the frame is held together with lashings of electrical tape! See photo near the battery. I've cut off the tape and found bolt holes with small cable ties through and then covered with tape.

Still Digging !

Took the tank off today, rattling like a pair of those old shakey things that Edmundo Ross used to use in his calypso music! The rust is obviously horrendous and doubt if it is possible to do anything with it. I've stuck it in a box for the metal recyling bin. I'll have a look and see if if it is possible to re-use the connectors underneath for the fuel and vacuum hose, breather pipe etc....

Any suggestion about how the tank can be recovered, or if it is possible? it looks pretty bad.

By the way, some new photo's posted with the tank off. Looks like some of the frame is held together with lashings of electrical tape! See photo near the battery. I've cut off the tape and found bolt holes with small cable ties through and then covered with tape.

you could re-seal the petrol tank,

http://www.bikersguidesw.co.uk/petrol_tank_sealing.htm

ohh, BTW, change the brake hoses for stainless, last longer than rubber, and yours like mine will be past their life..

have you fired up the engine yet, that would be my first, as thats what sold it to you, a good engine, otherwise, i'd stop...

Thanks Frankie, I'll try the stuff on the 'Frost' website because I have not tried the engine yet. Did not want to put anything into the tank with it in the state that it's in or I'd just get cr*p in the carb. I'll do the tank, refit it and then hook it up again an try the engine.

I did get some metalwork from B&Q, as in the other advice, and if the engine goes well I'll rebuild the back end.

Got to wait for the stuff to arrive, do the tank and see where I am so I don't expect I'll be posting for a couple of weeks. But I'll be back !

Cheers

Unexpected update - because I found the tank has holes rusted right through on the bottom, some about 3mm across, I can't use the Frost rust solution.

However, I have charged the battery, after discovering it is 12V and not 6V (thought it wasn't charging too well, it's been toooooooo long since I had a bike).

Put some oil in the engine, with a new oil filter of course, and the engine turns over fine.

Question - How to get some fuel into the carbs if I haven't got a tank? I would just like to fire it up before I spend any money on a tank, exhausts etc..... as advised by Frankie.

Also - I'm sure the guy I got it from said he'd done a mod to the carbs, can you spot anything that might be different to standard GSX750F ?

New pics uploaded including this one.

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/djrose007/Suzuki%20GSX750F%20Rebuild/006-2.jpg

Good one Bogof, thanks for that. A drip feed is just what this bike needs it's so sick! I'll have a go at that idea over the weekend.

Cheers

Dave

the old washing up bottle, (think its now the cheepie one) with the petrol hose, invert it as in Bogof pic.. might need a hole in the top otherwise there'll be a vacuum.. hang it over the

handle bars..

EDIT: dont bin anything just yet, you may need the petrol cap on a replacement tank (One on Evilbay Red £40 inc P&P), also keeps the keys in order.. and the fuel tap..