GazW

Kawasaki GPZ500S

1987-1994 (A)

1994-2009 (D)

Power: 59BHP

Torque: 30 F/lb

Model reviewed;

1996 model with 25k on the clocks.

Having read a few reviews on mid range bikes and deliberating for a while on what to purchase after I passed my DAS, I finally settled on a GPZ. The factors I had to base my decision on were insurance, mpg, availability of spares, reliablity, fun factor and last but by no means least and day to day useability.

The GPZ ticked all of the boxes, and having viewed a local bike, (sorry if you read this) with no intention of buying, just to have a sit on and get a feel for the dimensions. I had my heart set on it. The bike I viewed was a 1987 A1, I'll get to this later on...

So, I purchased my bike off E-bay for £675, with the promise of 12 months MOT. Took the risk in insuring it before I saw it, so I could tax it and ride it back from Carlisle to Bolton. Got a lift up to Carlisle, the bike was as described, quick once over, and let the bike tick over till the temp needle started to climb to make sure the fan kicked in, happy days and off we go.

About a mile or so down the road the first thing to strike me was the riding position. Don't be fooled by the fairing and clip on handlebars, its very much 'sit up and beg' and the 110 mile motorway trip back was suprisingly comfortable. One niggle is the screen directs wind straight into your neck (I'm 6'1) nothing a quick stop at the services to put ear-plugs in didn't cure.

Mostly 70mph on the way back, again not really to many complaints, the bike was happy enough and didn't miss a beat, the ratio between the top gears feels like it could be a bit wider, purely for MPG, 70mph in 6th equates to around 6k.

Whilest on the subject of RPM, I shall get down to the performance. The engine is lumpy by nature, sounds like a bag of nails on idle, even when warm. Below 3k its not brilliant, its quite sluggish on throttle response and a little rattly. It gets much smoother above 4,000 until it hits 6,500 then it comes to life, and with the lazy chug of the parallel twin transforming into a wail, it hurtles towards its 11k redline. Kawasaki claim 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and I believe them.

Heres where it gets a little fuzzy, I have read contrasting reports of the power peaking at 9,500, some claiming to be 10,200. Whatever it is its 'powerband' is almost two strokeish, not quite as Jekyll and Hyde as previous strokers I have ridden (dads 350LC (covered third party on my insurance) + my uncles KTM250EXC) but its along those lines. Its really satisfying to drop a gear to get the revs up and stay on that powerband for overtaking.

Handling is good by my standards, although I don't have much of a yardstick to compare to, and without a doubt most modern 600's would make it seem outright ancient. It seems very forgiving, in the 1.500 miles I have done since purchasing I have not had a heart in mouth moment, nor have I had to change any pants.

The brakes. Not brilliant, wouldn't have complete trust in an emergency stop. I have practised anchouring on on quiet roads, and it stops. Eventually. Day to day riding its not bad as you ride within the limits of the bike and know when to brake for corners. I have read Greenstuff pads and braided hoses make a difference and this is one of my planned ongoing mods so I'll report back as soon as I change them.

Build quality. Again, not brilliant. Its kept garaged and I plan to strip and paint the swinging arm and centerstand, these aren't dire, but need doing. The exhaust system is original, I make that 15 years old and its showing its age. One silencer has just cracked, and needs welding. I plan to change this for a stainless system, I will be keeping it 2 into 2 as opposed to the 2-1 that are quite common for people to have carried out.

Relating to the earlier comment on the pre '94 models, the alternator magnets have a nasty habit of 'letting go' when they do they can take the stator plates with them, worst case scenario shards of magnet can pass into the sump. The pre '94 models also have 16" wheels as opposed to 17" which makes tyre selection limited. You can still get bridgestone B45's which are highly recommended. Also they have a drum on the rear. The radiator fan is about as much use as an asthmatic mouse, the temperature rises with urban stop-start riding. I have not seen it get dangerously high, although I would pull over and let it cool rather than risk it should the situation ever arise.

Post 2002 models come with twin disks up front, these are probably the most 'desirable' (use the term loosely)

To summerise, if you have ridden anything larger, more modern or better equipped then I doubt it would get your pulse racing. This also applies to the looks, hardly awe inspiring..

If you judge it on what it is, an entry level parallel twin, and compare it against its rivals the GS and CB, I would choose the kwak hands down, given my budget again its the only bike I would be looking for at this moment in time. As a first bike this side of the 600cc mark I couldn't recommend it more. I'm over the moon with my choice, and even if it were to suffer major mechanical failure tomorrow, I would still look back with fond memories of my first 'proper' bike.

Loved my gpz, arguably the best 500cc first big bike. Head over to ex-500.com. loads of good info on there and make sure you do the fog mod, it makes a huge improvement. I would also recommend packing the cush drive rubbers to take up the slop.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a GPZ in 2007 and I loved it. Handling was good, it was light, the engine was loony. The regularly used to ride from Lancashire to France on it at ahem, more than 70mph and it was great. OK, the build quality is not the best but fast, comfortable and cheap.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...