bike parts 70/80's ?

Hi all, I hope this question isn't too general to answer but, just how difficult would I find it to buy parts for 1970/80's motorcycles? In particular Japanese 250-400cc.

I have spotted a late 70's CB250, and a couple of 80's CB250's all in running order for sale but was wondering would I struggle to buy parts for wear and tear?

Barcud

some parts are easy to locate but chances are they will be pattern parts and not genuine honda/suzuki/yamaha/kawasaki depending on models you are looking at some of them still have fairly good 2nd hand parts about but as always you would end up buying far more than you need just so you have decent spares stock if you see them at the right prices

Depends how handy you are. A lot of the time if a part is not available you can modify a newer system off a modern bike to fit, so if you have carbs with an unobtainable part, you can swap carbs for some off a newer bike, but like I say depends how handy you are withy stuff like that.

Usual service parts are not a problem though as has been said, so if you get one in good working order and look after it you should be ok and parts are probably cheap. The problem comes ( I know from experience) when you buy a bike that 'only needs this simple little widget to get it on the road' then you find out the said widget has not been available for 20 yrs and is the reason the bike is not on the road.

Hi, I think I'm quite handy tinkling with motorbikes. I find the tinkling as enjoyable as the riding. On a single or twin cylinder that is. Had an old CB550f which tested my patience once. 4 cylinders and carbs were quite a test. I'll stick to a single or twin possibly 80's.

There are various owner's groups/forums which can help locate the 'bit' you need as well as the regular 'auto jumbles'. Newark is a good source of both pattern and OEm parts for 70s & 80s japanese bikes (as well as most 'Brits').

Unless it is a complex part (i.e. carb) then most times you can 'adapt and fit'. This includes fuel tanks, lights and suspension.

Just 1 word of warning - You are very unlikely to make any profit from a rebuild unless it is a very rare and sought after machine. Plus 'Barn Finds' are not usually actual 'finds' at all!

I have been 'rebuilding' a 1974 MZ for a few years now and it is at the 'roadworthy' state - Spend to date is approximately £350. Bike value is approximately £300.

:cheers:

Hi, my aim is just to enjoy owning and riding a bike preferably from the 70's. Nostalgia I suppose. I could make life easier and go for a modern bike.

At the moment I have my eye on a 1975 Honda CB250 G5. Not totally original but in good running order. It is around £800. Whether it is worth this or not is down to how much a person is willing to pay for it I guess. I would prefer something a bit cheaper if I'm honest.

thanks for the reply.

Thanks, I've searched and found the thread and will go through it tonight. I'm hoping to buy a runner that just needs servicing and renewing of parts when needed rather than a restoration. From what I saw briefly of Polecats thread it looks really interesting.

Cheers for the shout.

CB250s are ace fun. my mate has several. that is steep unless its mint though, going rate is about 500.

check for oil blowing from rocker cover, the cam runs in the metal of the head and rocker, rocker is metal to metal with no gasket, because it holds the cam once it wears it starts to leak from the join, they mostly smoke a bit but still run fine.

Thanks for things to look out for. The CB 250 I was looking at was just over £800 coming down from nearly a grand and is said to have a very good engine. Not totally original but 'runs well'. I was hoping for around £500+ for a runner in 'good' condition. Lots of later models around which might be worth looking at.

thanks again.

CB250RS is the one to go for.

He has several, they have been collected over a long time, but he knows them like the back of his hand and watches the net for them coming up. I am going to do one for myself as my next project. There will always be dearer bikes out there, and it's up to you if you think its worth the money, but you can get them for the £500 mark in working condition.

One thing I have learnt, sh bikes always need things sorting, so if you buy one that is sold as 'immaculate' or you buy a grotty one, you will always end up spending money on things like tyres, chain and sprockets, fork rebuilds, brake caliper rebuilds etc etc, so I think you might as well buy a cheaper one and build it up into the bike YOU want.

Lots of bikes that look lovely, fall apart as soon as you start riding because they have been stored up or just been low mileage, but seals and things go dry, then when it gets ridden daily, things like fork seals just start to fail.

A slightly tatty one that is ridden all the time will always be a good bet if it's been maintained.

Don't worry if it is blowing a bit of smoke/oil from the rocker as there basically aren't any on the road that don't do it. it tells you there is oil at the top of the engine which is a good thing, oh and your right trouser leg will always be waterproof.

:mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-HONDA-C ... 43d052d5f3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB250n- ... 43d0612416

(Bet he'd take 650 for that one)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-HONDA-CB ... 2341acffd8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-cb250rs ... 418840735a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-HONDA-CB ... 43c63fc72b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-250R ... 33966af011

I am sure they would all need work, but chances are so would the £800 one, it might just be shinier.

Thanks a lot. Lots of good info and thanks for the links.

Looks like the bike itself can be picked up for around £500-600.

As long as it's not a major restoration I should be okay. It will be good to get my hands on a CB again.

Thanks again.

Harri