virago 125 bobber project

Guest drumsticksplinter

Hi Guys,

I'm new to all this and have just taken it upon myself to start this project. I don't know hardly anything about bikes, but I can learn quite quickly. I'm a fabricator / engineer so have experience of producing and modifying structures and mechanisms. The idea of a bobber really appeals to me firstly because I want to look bad ass, haha! secondly because I like the style and the possibility of making it my own.

The bike is a 1999 Yamaha XV125 Virago, 25ish K on the clock. Brakes: non existant. condition: hmm fair, engine looks to be good, cosmetics need imagination.

I've added a picture of the bike with what I have done so far, I just wanted to run it past a few people that have more experience of these things. The bike arrived to me as a non starter, I heard it run briefly because the guy selling it poured petrol through the carb to get it going, not the best, but it went!

So what I have done so far:

Stripped and cleaned the carb, petcock and fuel pump.

Got the bike going (rough), suspected vacuum issue to operate the petcock and fuel pump properly

Examined the intake manifold, it was in a bad way, so ordered a new 1.

Replaced the stock air pod with a K&N type.

I intend to install more flow friendly pipes, so with that and the air filter in mind I have ordered a re-jet kit from 6sigma in the states. They claim to "engineer" each kit individually to each bike and spec. we'll see :wink: I've got a carb repair kit also, so will fit that whilst I'm doing the jetting.

I've got bored with waiting on parts so decided to remove the rear shocks and drop the back end right down with some rigid struts. I've trimmed the stock rear mudguard so it looks nicer. I'm happy with how its looking so far.

I have a few questions about hard tails though... Are there any regulations to stick to regarding height from the road? mudguard clearances etc? I don't want any nasty surprises when I finally get it for its MOT. With it being effectively now a hard tail will this effect anything from the increased vibration and shock from bumps in the road? I'm aiming more for low end power and not high top speed, so I won't be hammering it down any dirt tracks.

Adam.

1205603941_virago18july14.jpg.55bd0be9a815d571633c8cebd3ba6a42.jpg

Looking good so far Adam..... :thumb:

I don't think there is anything in the MOT about seat height and mudguard clearance....the rear hugger on my Speedie almost touches the rear tyre. The only thing an MOT tester would look at is to make sure the mudguard is secure. You may want to look at some kind of spring mounting for the seat as it's gonna jar your back as it is. I've seen guys use mountain bike rear suspension units for springing the seat.

I got a 6Sigma kit for my cb750 cafe racer project.....but not got round to fitting it yet.... 8-)

Looking forward to seeing this progress mate....keep the pics and the write ups coming..... 8-)

Thanks for the reply!

Well thats encouraging about the mot requirements, I'm not going silly with it, just trying to achieve "the look" that others seem to have mastered.

Yes I think thats a good idea to spring the seat, I'm looking for a good one currently, the stock seat is very firm and quite uncomfortable as it is......

Ahh, Well I'm glad someone else has actually purchased the 6sigma kit. I am going to do all the carb in 1 go whilst its off, I'll probably end up playing around with the jets and whatever to achieve the best performance, but the least times that carb comes off the better as its a PITA :| Mind you, we've taken the carb off my dad's rebel and cleaned it all up, and that 1 is a real pain to get off and one again!

I hope to put up some more pics as the bike develops.

Thanks

That's looking nice buddy. Some nice shiny springs on the back of the seat would deffo be a sweet touch.

All these choppers/bobbers we've had lately makes me want to buy an OCC t-shirt and do one myself! :-)

• 3 months later...
I have a few questions about hard tails though... Are there any regulations to stick to regarding height from the road? mudguard clearances etc?

Adam.

Look here for lighting heights etc... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/made

And here for the number plate regs http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/regulation/8/made

You might also want to have a read of the Construction & Use Regs for motorcycles http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/made

And when it's all ready for the road don't forget to notify your insurer that it's modded.