Motorcycle Kits!!!

hey guys, I'm looking for a project, and looking at building my own bike. the only thing is I don't want a chopper but that is all i can find with kit bikes. has anyone had any experiance with building their own bike? if so did you go through a company to get the frame? has any one seen any other styles of kit bikes?

I keep looking but am just getting more and more annoyed. :?

Any help would be great! :cheers:

I think the only thing that would limit you would be your imagination!

I've not heard of a kit bike but then I've never looked...

If it were me, I'd be looking at an older steel framed bike as it'll be easier to cut and weld than an aluminium jobbie. Then chose which engine, forks, geometry, brakes, fairing/naked, etc, etc.

What style and purpose are you aiming for?

I'm after a sports touring style I suppose i could always get a stock bike and just modify and rebuild. I just thought that a kit bike would be easier, it also brings the insurance down as you have built it yourself.

now im even more confused as i really didn't want to rewire a whole bike as electrics scare me at least with a kit bike they more or less give you a step by step or electrics.

Cheers Fro! given me things to think about :) :cheers:

No such thing as a kit bike like there is a car bikers tend to get a one off frame built or buy a custom made frame to suite an engine of your choice and these days there are very strict rules when building as it will need to pass a MSVA test

Buy a sports tourer with no top box or panniers.

Buy top box and panniers and fit them.

There, project done.

Sounds like a whole world of pain and aggravation to me to try and build a bike and if it's and off the shelf kit, is there really any point to it as it's not likely to have that custom element to it ?

Maybe a renovation project on and old bike might be easier ?

Well, most Chinese bikes get delivered to the dealer in bits... just buy a Lexmoto and ask the dealer if you can put it together yourself :P With very little effor, it'll be the best put together Lexmoto in the country! Better yet, it's the project that keeps on giving; you'll be fixing it and rebuilding it for years to come :lol:

I see your point, however if i modify an existing motorbike, do I still have to get it certified by the MSVA?

Only if you chop the main frame ( you can chop the bit that the seat mounts to I.e change the tail end) and only if you tell them ;-)

Well, most Chinese bikes get delivered to the dealer in bits... just buy a Lexmoto and ask the dealer if you can put it together yourself :P With very little effor, it'll be the best put together Lexmoto in the country! Better yet, it's the project that keeps on giving; you'll be fixing it and rebuilding it for years to come :lol:

HAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like that one although the chinese bike that i have at the moment, I'm thinking of keeping some bits from it and just modding the shit out of it! only because i don't really care if i f**k the chinese bike up as i wouldn't get much for it anyway :)

Time to get a new welding set me thinks!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know what; the amount those things purportedly rust, I'd be surprised if the pipework is thicker than paper - you'd probably burn straight through it if you even waved a welding torch at it.

You can buy this as a kit for around 4,500 euros, pedigree uncertain but if you fancy it...................?

http://www.theblackdouglas.co.uk/contac ... hard&cat=4

That looks pretty fun and I bet it'd be interesting to ride.

The only problem I can foresee is the try-hards/trendies would catch whiff of them in which case you'd have to smash it to pieces and set it on fire.

You can buy this as a kit for around 4,500 euros, pedigree uncertain but if you fancy it...................?

http://www.theblackdouglas.co.uk/contac ... hard&cat=4

That looks pretty fun and I bet it'd be interesting to ride.

The only problem I can foresee is the try-hards/trendies would catch whiff of them in which case you'd have to smash it to pieces and set it on fire.

here comes the cafe racer saga all over again! :lol: