First restoration project

Guest petrolhead1989

Hey guys

I am pretty happy im starting my first bike project..

Nothing big, fast and special, as i do not have my full bike licence yet, so its just a 125cc :D

Bought this yesterday, (Friday 22nd), travelled all the way to london to pick it up on a trailer..

Its a Skyjet SJ125 - 23... I know, chinese copy, But it doesnt bother me, 1. its a honda cbr125r replica, and parts fit it, and 2. my friends had the same bike as i have, thrashed it daily, and owned it for nearly 4 years, without a single problem. :D

I payed £250 for this bike, (she looks worse than she actually is)

2009 reg..

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/media2_zps522b1eae.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/media1_zpsd73ff75d.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/media_zps268902ed.jpg

I turned up in london, expecting some piece of S**t, but like i said, it looks worse than it actually is in person..

Its mostly fairing damage, as in scratches and a double of splits here and there..

It really just needs a good clean up..

A couple of things its missing... Indicators :D lol.. it has one, front right one, None on back, and the owner ripped the wiring out, But ive ordered some nice LED indicators, a set of 4, and going to be splitting into the wiring loom, and sorting out the wiring, and fitting these new indicators..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370695959952? ... 1497.l2649

I know they arent real carbon fibre, But i am a big fan of carbon fibre look...

Over the next couple of days, going to be stripping her down to bare frame.. Cleaning up, Engine has only done 2k miles from brand new, so arent too fussed about inspecting engine..

Respraying frame, as its scratched from previous owners accident.. Clean up engine block, Refit everything, Filler, sand, paint the fairings, make my own adjustments, and get her on the road :D

Will add more when i have made more progress :D

Looks great in the photos already! Sounds like a fun project, not to tricky and hopefully not too expensive! Should have a fun bike ready for the summer :)

Will you be changing the colour or keeping as is?

Looks great in the photos already! Sounds like a fun project, not to tricky and hopefully not too expensive! Should have a fun bike ready for the summer :)

Will you be changing the colour or keeping as is?

yeah its stayin the same colour fella.. Just going to add white Decals up the side of the petty tank. Nothing over the top..

Well i was hoping for it to be a nice little project, but on a thorough inspection this morning, found an engine mount snapped.. :(

Well i was hoping for it to be a nice little project, but on a thorough inspection this morning, found an engine mount snapped.. :(

Oh no, thats bad luck mate :(

however if youre dropping the ending out anyway, it wont be too much effort to get it welded..

Oh no, thats bad luck mate :(

however if youre dropping the ending out anyway, it wont be too much effort to get it welded..

Yeah im trying to get someone with a TIG welder :D

But i keep hearing mixed stories about how it is not allowed to be repaired, apparently the frame has to be scrapped, because frame damaged is an auto Cat B write off. :'(

:stupid:

Hes right, for general information

CAT A is where the bike must just be crushed, cant even use parts

CAT B cant use the frame but parts can be salvaged

CAT C, D Can be fixed, usually cosmetic damage

CAT X, Little known but just means bike was involved in an accident. Or so the HPI for my old ER6F says :lol:

If I was you I would also try and find what engine its using. If its identical to the CBR125 Ive heard using a loom from one of those eliminates the electrical gremlins associated with Skyjets.

So good luck, if in doubt Stu is about (usually) :thumb:

And if yet get another frame yet will need the v5 for it as swapping frames is a right headache and will possibly need re registering the best way is to get a frame with v5 and swap the bits to the new frame under the v5 that came with the frame ;-)

In any case I'm not sure about welding bike frames....but then again many do without any problems.....Head chops etc.......so, I guess on a steel frame welding an engine mount back on shouldn't cause too many probs...... :wink:

Hi guys

The bike was sold to me as a Cat C write off.

I dont think i want to go through that amount of hassle, swapping things over.

I just wanted a relatively cheap project, as money isnt the best...

I'd arc weld engine mounts, you get better penetration, a stronger weld but the spatter will need to be ground off with a file or angle grinder :)

I have seen an engine mount mig welded back on before and it broke on me. And the weld was sound :thumb:

Tig welding is a delicate art but I believe Megawatt is your man for that so give him a shout if its an ally frame :)

Yeah.

The bike was sold to me under Cat C, and them unaware of the engine mount damage..

So i dont think the bike has actually been Technically written off..

I was thinking about grinding the old mount off, Getting a steel plate. fabricate a spot on copy of the broken one, and weld it in place, then spray the whole frame.. I doubt mechanics would ever realise if the welding was spot on.. :D

So im trying to my hardest to get away with using what i have and repairing it.. As its not actually on the computers as a Cat B..

Just trying to find someone near me with a welder and willing to do a bit of work for me :D

yeah since its filed under a Cat C, im just going to repair what ive got :)

dont fancy welding two snapped bits together, incase MOT is funny about it, because it needs MOT'ing soon.

so want to fabricate a similar new mount and weld it in its place..

Ive found some replacement mounts, But damn the bolts holding it to the frame are as tight as knackers..

Had my £300 Impact gun on it, and wont budge..

Tried heating it up, wd40, the lot.. will not budge a mm..

OK, managed to crack on with some more of the project, cold weather has been putting me off :D

Got all fairings off,. (the ones it has), and got them sanded nicely,

Some bits had to be sanded quite a bit to get out deep scores, Plus the stickers where clear coated over, so has to sand away the clear coat before they could be removed..

All ready for Operation Primer :D

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/20130224_123928_zpsaf5fa711.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/20130224_123935_zps6b6174c2.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo92/Badboyazza_2009/20130224_123949_zps16497e15.jpg

Hopefully get them primered up tonight.. :D

More to come. :D

Nice one mate.....coming along now..... 8-)

Where are you going to primer them?.........bit cold outside at the moment to get a decent finish I would have said....... :wink:

Nice ironing board cover BTW....... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Haha thanks dude. :-)

yeah its getting there..

I have a brick shed with electric heating and lighting, so i will be doing it in there..

One wierd thing ive noticed on the bike, to get neutral, i have to click all the way up ans then half click down, instead of the other way around.. ive never seen that in my life. :-)