Peugeot XR6 restoration...

Hello, well after hours if searching through ebay, biketrader, guntree etc I couldn't find a cheap restoration to hopefully learn the basics on so I've decided to restore my peugeot XR6 yes I know it's not a classic yardy yardy ya and I won't make any money on it *yawn* but it's more of a learning curve :)

this is the little honey ;)

It's not in the front room or anything it's in my den sort of thing where I go chill with my mates etc ;)

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1227/imagedgcu.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/15/imagezaqg.jpg

Any help and advice on how to start it or paint ideas or anything I could find helpful?

I've printed if the engine manual (minarelli am6) and the peugeot XR6 owners manual:)

Thanks all:)

Called into work so didn't get much done :(

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9882/imagekgv.jpg

Also are these forks alright or will they need to be re sealed?

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2676/imageqlaa.jpg

They're all bikes mate.......don't matter what size engine, style or age...... :wink:

Clean the forks up and then have another look.......could just be accumulated cr*p on there...... :wink:

I'll clean them all up tomorrow, you've been a great help to all my questions so far greatly appreciated =)

No probs mate......you got that cylinder head bolt yet?

Came today, but it's not like rest it's just a nut not like the other which are nuts with like rubber tops everything else is right though, would it matter not having the rubber tops?

If I send it back they will charge 4.00 P&P and charge 20% inconvenience fee.. Which would make it 13.06 for four washers and a nut -_- Rip off merchants =p

Not entirely sure what you mean by "rubber tops"......but I'd give it a try and see if it goes on OK...... :wink: By the looks of your thread I'm guessing it'll be a while before you can try it out though.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Not entirely sure what you mean by "rubber tops"......but I'd give it a try and see if it goes on OK...... :wink: By the looks of your thread I'm guessing it'll be a while before you can try it out though.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

That's the new one

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5316/imagewidh.jpg

The other ones;

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3241/21292886.png

Excuse my drawing =D

Yeah, but the state of it from the top pictures was disgraceful ;)

I've got a mate who's mate is spraying the frame, he does it to a near pro level he is trying to start his business up I've seen his work and it's pretty suburb and is charging 70 quid does that sound about right?

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3165/imagekrvv.jpg

Yay!

I can't tell you the stress u went through to get that out!

Been busy today the frame has been completely stripped and is being sprayed on Friday!

is it a seperate bracket section that is broken then that needs welding/replacing?? because if its part of the main frame that needs doing before you paint it

Yes that is separate all the frame breaks down into pieces which really frustrated me, that has been taken off since that picture as the spray painter guy told me too as well =)

Hi guys I need to clean up various parts off the bike to make them shiny and look nearly brand new such as the engine and plastic alloys I've been told use Metal alloy cleaner can anyone recommend a good brand of the stuff and where to get it?

Hi guys I know the majority of you aren't interested in seeing my thread at the top all the time and thinking to your selves 'waste of money, time and effort' get a bigger bike if that's the case please pass on by :)

Back to the topic in hand, I've been told the bike frame has been primed and is going to start painting on Monday.

The main question is would you suggest me paying ridiculous rates on getting the engine fully rebuilt and cleaned or would you suggest me attempting to completely rebuild the thing myself?

Opinions appreciated and I like both types of feedback so I know what I can do better in the future.

The main point of this 'restoration' is for you to learn as much as possible right?

You'd probably learn more rebuilding it yourself than someone else doing it. I don't know ANYTHING about engine rebuilding though, so my advice may be bad :lol:

The main point of this 'restoration' is for you to learn as much as possible right?

You'd probably learn more rebuilding it yourself than someone else doing it. I don't know ANYTHING about engine rebuilding though, so my advice may be bad :lol:

Yes, that's mainly the point but I don't particularly want to put the gearbox in backwards or get the timing wrong etc there's loads of things that can go wrong, I'm going to get all the necessary tools I need before I start it =)

Yes, that's mainly the point but I don't particularly want to put the gearbox in backwards or get the timing wrong etc there's loads of things that can go wrong, I'm going to get all the necessary tools I need before I start it =)

Of course there are loads of things that can go wrong...loads of things go wrong everyday, it's part of life....It's how we learn and develop new skills.....like building motorcycles!

Take you time over it, dont rush, make sure you understand what you are doing before you actually do it and you will make less mistakes and feel proud when you have finished..