My newly installed indicators dont work! Please help

alex15969

I got Indicators fitted on my Kawasaki KH 125. The man who was fitting them told me he needed a lighting coil for them to work but I posted a question asking if it did and people dissagreed, and so did my friend who is in car and motorbike electrics. So i picked the bike up without a lighting coil fitted and the indicators seemed to work fine (with a 1 second delay from the switch to the indicators), I was riding home and they worked about 15 times but then stopped working half way through my journey and they dodnt seem to work anymore :crybaby: . Doesnt anyone know why this happened? Or is it just because the bike acually did need a new lighting coil?

The headlight taillight and neutral indicator have now stopped working, the battery must be flat i assume.

P.S All the other electrics work fine; headlight, taillight and neutral light.

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

Edited by alex15969

Are Flasher relays fairly straight forward to fit? (I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to motorbikes, I just turned old enough to buy one 2 months ago)

Thanks.

Yeah....normally just plug into a socket somewhere, often under the seat or side panels. Obviously you'd need one that runs on 6v....which could be harder to come by. Firstly if I were you I'd locate the flasher relay and unplug and replug it...just in case it has a bad connection. The other things to check is that you have a good ground connection to either the headlamp shell or the rear light cluster as a bad earth on either of these could stop the indicators from flashing. Check with the guy what type of indicators he fitted....just in case he put LED ones on.

Well the battery problem existed before the indicators were fitted, I gave the bike back to the guy who sold it to me and i thought they were fixed. Could it be the battery is not charging when the motorbike is going?

are your indicators the right wattage for your system? 6v system wont power much at all, although I would try and find the problem to your battery before you rectify this as the two are almost certainly linked.

If your lights went out while the engine was running I'd say that you are probably not charging the battery.........alternator, Rectifier/Regulator units may be faulty. Unless you are handy with a voltmeter you may need to take it to a bike shop or auto electricians as you'll need to check the voltage coming out of the alternator. Try charging the battery with a suitable charger and see if the lights come back on and the indicators work......if so that would point to a fault in your bikes charging circuit.

Good Luck,

Bob